Anything better than HX850?

rosh

Limp Gawd
Im building a core i7 system. Hope to use a single GPU and overclock the system to the maximum. Still specs havent been decided.

Im hoping to get the best psu for the money thinking for my future upgrades also.
Also i have Silverstone FT02 case and people complain about the lengths of the cable so psus are not enough sometimes. So not sure HX850 is the best for me?

The HX850 cables should be long enough for that case. They are quite long.

Thanks about cable lengths.

Is there any other (efficient, quiet) PSU around that price?

While I don't have an HX850, I do have an HX520 & I didn't have any problems routing the 8-pin plug behind the mb tray in a LanCool PC-K62.
Hope that helps.
Also, I think that HX850 should tide you over for another build or 3. :)

I have an FT02 and an HX850, it works fine trust me. :)
IMG_0479_1.jpg

IMG_0478_1.jpg

(new cpu cooler otherwise everything else is the same as these pics from a few months ago)

Only other psu line I would probably go for other than the Corsairs would be an Enermax Modu82+. Those are a bit pricier than the Corsairs though. :eek:

XFX Black Edition 850W, Seasonic M12D 850W (if you can find one), Silverstone ST85F-P.

Seconding the Seasonic. Personally I think it's the second best PSU behind the X series. It's not just quiet but also silent. You can't hear the thing at all.

+1 on the Seasonic as well. But I have the HX1000, and have had no problems whats so ever. You are pretty much in a win win situation with the power supplies your talking about hear and you can't really go wrong with what ever you pick.

Besides Zero82z's recommendations, you could also look at the SeaSonic X-750; you'd be giving up 8a of 12v capacity, but it's probably a (very marginally) better power supply than the HX (though it DOES have a Sanyo Denki fan. Which makes it the first PS I've ever seen with a decent fan in it)

At this price and wattage level though, it honestly doesn't matter. I mean, to compare the X-750 to the HX850 (since I have the numbers handy), the Corsair hit about 25mV of ripple on the +12v rail @ full power. The X-750 did 10mV. What difference is this going to make to you in the real world? Absolutely none. 25mV is only 1/5th the ATX spec. The motherboard's VRM will deal with that with no problem; I'd bet money that 10mV vs. 25mV wouldn't effect overclocks or system lifespan or anything else one bit.

Similarly, at their respective maximum outputs, the 12v rail on the X-750 was @ 12.05v, vs. 12.1v for the HX. Again: The difference is so small that it's largely-if not totally-irrelevant in the real world. Efficiency? 85-89% for the Corsair vs. 87-90% for the Seasonic. A reasonable maximum load power figure for a single cpu/single gpu system, even one that's highly overclocked, is 500w (unless you're running a GTX480 :rolleyes: ). If you extrapolate a bit from the efficiency numbers posted by [H], it'd be safe to assume that the Corsair is hitting about 88.5% efficiency at that load level, while the Seasonic is hitting about 89.9. Real-world difference? The Corsair will pull ~565w from the wall vs. ~555w for the Seasonic. All of about 10w worth of power savings. Big deal.

In short: Take the Seasonic, all of Zero82z's recommendations, and the HX. Go with the one with the best support, or the best warranty, or the prettiest one, line them up and go eeney meeney miney moe on them, or write the models down on scraps of paper and pull one out of a hat. Hell, pick the one whose manufacturer's name you like the sound of the most. Or ask your dog. It doesn't matter, any of them will work very well for your needs.

Back