AMD to Launch Shanghai CPUs This Month

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
As a follow up to Steve’s announcement regarding AMD’s Shanghai CPU, DigiTimes reports that nine of the new processors will ship in mid-October. The new CPUs range in speeds between 2.3 to 2.7GHz and will include five 2-way and four 8-way models. Interesting…

All will support the company's socket F (1207), and include an on-die DDR2 memory controller and 6MB L2 cache. Shanghai processors will only support HyperTransport 1.0 initially. Models supporting HyperTransport 3.0 will be released in the second quarter of 2009. AMD is also planning to launch a new server chipset (SR5600) in the second quarter of 2009, the sources added.

Nice.. benchmarking these server CPUs in a desktop environment should help give us a preview of what to expect from the desktop 45nm CPUs.

I would be shocked if they even come close to competing the year old Intel's Q9*** procs.

it'll be like the Beijing Olympics.... a big opening ceremony and not much else interesting for the rest of the time...

shanghai beijing same same...

it'll be like the Beijing Olympics.... a big opening ceremony and not much else interesting for the rest of the time...

shanghai beijing same same...

Not very funny, since there was a lot interesting with the Beijing Olympics. Maybe you don't like to watch them. That's fine, but your opinion is hardly representative of a generalization.

Can some one decrypt this for me? WTF is this 2-way and 8-way thing?

The nine Shanghai processors will include five 2-way and four 8-way models. All will support the company's socket F (1207), and include an on-die DDR2 memory controller and 6MB L2 cache.

Back