A Good Review of the Nexus 4

Would have been better if he spent more time explaining how the GS3 let him down.

Also it sounds like he has a thing for themes and stuff. Ans obviously you can't get those on an iPhone 5 so good for him.

Would have been better if he spent more time explaining how the GS3 let him down.

Also it sounds like he has a thing for themes and stuff. Ans obviously you can't get those on an iPhone 5 so good for him.

I think it's kind of ironic, I see a lot of iPhone users go nuts with themes and launchers when first trying out Android, but many (including me) long time android users are just like, "Whatever, give me vanilla android."

As long as I have the quick access lockscreen widgets and homescreen widgets, I'm pretty good to go.

I will admit, I have zero love for TouchWiz. "Wiz" is what we make at the urinal. I don't want to touch it! Where Neurofreeze is wrong in is that this is his take on the Nexus 4. It IS vanilla android.

I too want vanilla. And that way I can add whatever widget I want on it. Urinal Cake launcher from Samsung is just too bloated and has a notification menubar that missing in features compared to vanilla Android.

Yes, I called it Urinal Cake launcher cause I'm being immature. But, seriously, that thing stinks.

It is pretty astonishing how far Google has come with Android since the bad old days of 1.5/1.6. I feel that Apple hasn't improved iOS as much over the same time, so the two OSes are fairly even at the moment and it basically comes down to personal preference. I have a Nexus 4, so I may be a bit biased, but Jellybean is genuinely excellent. :D

I could live without LTE (on hpsa network) but the guy doesn't even mention the horrible battery life; doesn't sound like much of a review of the nexus 4.

I could live without LTE (on hpsa network) but the guy doesn't even mention the horrible battery life; doesn't sound like much of a review of the nexus 4.

I routinely get over a day on my battery with between 2 and 3 hours of screen time. What exactly are you doing to drain your Nexus 4 so fast?

I routinely get over a day on my battery with between 2 and 3 hours of screen time. What exactly are you doing to drain your Nexus 4 so fast?

2 to 3 hours of screen time compares poorly to other phones.

2 to 3 hours of screen time compares poorly to other phones.

It really does, I just bought an iPhone 5 to tide me over until I can afford a Nexus 4, and the battery life on the iphone is leagues better then what i ever got on my other android phones...That's probably the feature Ill miss most.

Yeah. I tried an S3 but returned it when I only got 4.5 hours of screen on time. With my iPhone 5 now I get 8 hours of screen on time at least. Almsost 10 hours if it's simple stuff like video.

On a day to day basis (in town) 3 hours is ok - not great but ok; but when I travel two things happen (a) less time near a power plug (b) heavier phone usage and 3 hours just doesn't cut it. Examples of heavy usage: driving in unfamiliar city; stuck in airport for 3 hours (some airports have charging stations others don't); making an important call in a low signal area; ...
-
So Yea I would like a phone with 5+ hours for periods when I travel and there are good options out there (note ii, galaxy s3 with extra battery, razr (hd) max; heck even the htc dna does better).

Ah ya those are all reasonable complaints. I'm just glad my Nexus 4 gets through my day. My Nexus S had horrible battery life so for me it's a big improvement.

I just bought an iPhone 5 to tide me over until I can afford a Nexus 4.

Surely you're joking. You need to scrounge up pennies for an N4, so you rationally decide to buy a phone that costs double what the N4 costs?

Surely you're joking. You need to scrounge up pennies for an N4, so you rationally decide to buy a phone that costs double what the N4 costs?

Well, The Nexus 4 is 300 dollars, my galaxy s died and i needed a new phone that day. Walmart was selling the iPhone 5 with 2 year contract for 127, A really good deal mind you. I had an upgrade available too... So I bought it. :3

Uh, that would be because the N4 *doesn't* have horrible battery life...

Last edited:
My nexus 4 had horrible battery life. Sold it and stuck with note 2 because of it. The one thing that kept me on iPhone so long was battery. 3 hours screen on only doing web browsing is ridiculous and unacceptable. If you actually used the 4 as a phone the battery would drop like a rock also.

My nexus 4 had horrible battery life. Sold it and stuck with note 2 because of it. The one thing that kept me on iPhone so long was battery. 3 hours screen on only doing web browsing is ridiculous and unacceptable. If you actually used the 4 as a phone the battery would drop like a rock also.

3 hours? Anandtech got 6 hours of wifi web browsing and 8 hours of talk time. My own usage more or less agrees with Anandtech.

Note 2 will definitely last longer, though, thanks to its much larger battery due to it being a larger device.

3 hours? Anandtech got 6 hours of wifi web browsing and 8 hours of talk time. My own usage more or less agrees with Anandtech.

Note 2 will definitely last longer, though, thanks to its much larger battery due to it being a larger device.

3 hours on hspa+ and nowhere near 8 hours talk 30-45 min would drain the battery almost 40%

I shoulda gotten the nexus instead of the GS3... I want my freaking photosphere!! Is that too much to ask for!?

Back