48hrs: HITACHI Deskstar HD32000 $100 after $20mir (FS)

WiLLiSTER

2[H]4U
Just got my newegg newsletter and it appears they have a 2tb drive on sale again. Sure a lot of people have been hating on Hitachi, but I can't say I've had any problems with their drives recently. Coupon code is for newsletter subscribers.

Coupon: EMCYTZR25
Product: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0-_-index-_-InternalHardDrives-_-22145276-L0B

This is the same drive as another thread that I just came across after posting this, but now with another $10 off.

Almost 1/5th of Newegg users report that the drive is absolutely terrible - that's pretty damn bad. Risky.

so people bitch about Hitachi, people bitch about Seagate, and WD has compatibility problems. I guess there is no good option for big drives

so people bitch about Hitachi, people bitch about Seagate, and WD has compatibility problems. I guess there is no good option for big drives

I am going to have to side with jebo on this one. When the Seagates get hated on I can see it but this is the 3rd highest rated 2tb drive on the site. The number one only has 2 reviews, the number two has 1% less one star ratings but also has 3% less 5 star ratings. The effort I think needs to go into reading a good swath of the reviews to see if any of the gripes may be applicable to you, so kiss an evening goodbye most likely.

This has been a common theme running with these hot deals but personal preference will play a huge role in this I suspect. If I needed one, I would trust Hitachi personally.

I have used Samsung drives for 2 years now with no problems. I have five of their 1TB drives. YMMV, but so far so good. They are quick, quiet and run fairly cool.

I did the Newegg drive review tally last weekend (figured it would save some people time from doing it themselves).

The weighted average review of a 2TB internal drive is 3.81 (straight egg rating * number of reviews). That drive is 3.86. Also, if you take a quick glance of the 1 egg reviews there are probably a higher than average number of noise/ performance 1 egg reviews (normally 1 egg is DOA or failure within a few weeks on the egg).

Samsungs seem to do very well on the egg ratings.

I also have something like 18 of these Hitachi 2TB drives, and they may not be the fastest, coolest, quietest drives around, but I've had 0 failures and they are cheap.

I also have something like 18 of these Hitachi 2TB drives, and they may not be the fastest, coolest, quietest drives around, but I've had 0 failures and they are cheap.

The problem is that they are the slowest, loudest, and hottest of the 2TB drives. They have the lowest data density and have one more platter than all the others, i.e. more moving parts. Personally I feel that relying on user reviews is a bad idea because internet people tend to portray themselves as experts when they often don't have any clue. I also vote for the Seagate 2tb drives because they are also cheap and I've used 4 of them in an array for 8 months with no problems.

I hate to hear people bitch about brands. Every hardware brand is going to have issues. I've used all different brands and the only hard drive I've ever had crash on me was a 160gb Western Digital after years of use.

You are more likely to hear about someone have problems with a product than you are a person having great luck with something.

The problem is that they are the slowest, loudest, and hottest of the 2TB drives. They have the lowest data density and have one more platter than all the others, i.e. more moving parts. Personally I feel that relying on user reviews is a bad idea because internet people tend to portray themselves as experts when they often don't have any clue. I also vote for the Seagate 2tb drives because they are also cheap and I've used 4 of them in an array for 8 months with no problems.

I 100% agree that relying on user reviews is a bad idea. Someone that has 100 drives giving a 5 star (or egg) vote versus a 1 drive owner giving a 1 star/ egg vote should not be given equal weight because it does not reflect sample size.

Also, the Hitachi's are plenty fast, and work well in raid on Adaptec, Areca, and LSI controllers. Realistically, big hard drives are just media storage at this point since SSD's are so much better for OS/Apps and even a 40% faster hard drive won't make up the difference.

The big reason to go Seagate or Western Digital is that they have really good RMA processes. I cannot comment on Hitachi because none of the Hitachi's I have purchased in the last 20 months have failed.

Back