42" LCD HDTV - How good of a graphics card do I need?

Opty1218

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking of buying a 42" Samsung LCD HDTV and was wondering if I need to upgrade my graphics card first.
I'm using a single 256mb 8600gt right now, and was wondering if that has enough power to drive a 1920x1080 screen that large.
I don't do much cutting edge gaming, usually just stuff like the occasional HL2/CS:S/Portal, so I don't think I need a powerhouse card.

don't worry about the screen size...worry about the resolution. a 8600GT will EASILY drive that resolution and will play those games just fine at that res...no need to upgrade...

don't worry about the screen size...worry about the resolution. a 8600GT will EASILY drive that resolution and will play those games just fine at that res...no need to upgrade...

Source games, OK, but anything more intense and I'd be looking to upgrade to a GTS 250 or better.

Worse comes to worse you could always drop to 1280x720 and pretend your PC is a console :p

But yeah, the size of the pixels is entirely irrelevant to the card. A pixel is a pixel, doesn't matter if its .1mm^2 or 10 sqft, its still just a single pixel.

I'd be more concerned about what TV to buy, and whether it can display PC correctly with no underscan/overscan, and if it has excessive input lag ;)

Do not purchase blindly, give it plenty of research time. What may look like the prettiest TV in the store may be the worst TV to connect to a PC. And never believe the salesman who is coached to push certain brands, usually samsung.

Back