3rd GTX 480

vjcsmoke

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok Tri-SLI owners. I'm gonna ask a simple question. Was going to Tri-SLI worth it over two card SLI? With the release of the 6000 series on the horizon I anticipate Nvidia price cuts so I think I could get a 480 for a bargain price around then or shortly thereafter, maybe Black Friday or Christmas?

I think if I put my 480s on single slot brackets, I can squeeze TRI-SLI into my current case. But I don't know if the performance increase will be worth it for the extra heat and energy consumption on my system. For example, I'd have to get real creative if I wanted more rads for cooling, right now there's no way to get any more radiators stuffed in there unless I seriously mod the inside of my case. I might be able to find room for another 120 or 240?

Does that 3rd card help much? Does it allow you to run any higher settings? Is the experience any smoother or jerkier? I've heard some people say that Tri-SLi has more microstutter issues. Is TRI-SLI well supported in games?

Or maybe I should just save my money for a pair of GTX 580s in 2011 instead? Just looking for some opinions based on experience here.

3rd would only help if you are gaming across three 1920x1080 monitors and playing games in 3d.

but I wouldnt tri sli if I wasnt planning to water cool them.

3rd would only help if you are gaming across three 1920x1080 monitors and playing games in 3d.

3 monitors - check. Watercooling - check.

So nobody who owns a tri-sli setup is gonna chime in here?

Also just wondering for PhysX intensive games like Mafia 2 and Batman:AA what configuration is faster - 3 gtx 480 in sli or 2 gtx 480 in sli with 1 gtx 480 dedicated to physx?

3 monitors - check. Watercooling - check.

So nobody who owns a tri-sli setup is gonna chime in here?

Also just wondering for PhysX intensive games like Mafia 2 and Batman:AA what configuration is faster - 3 gtx 480 in sli or 2 gtx 480 in sli with 1 gtx 480 dedicated to physx?

you dont need 480 for physx, its a waste of money and power.

go with a cheaper card for physx.

i think dual 480's is enough for all your needs, and a cheap card for physx.

Water cooling isn't going to help with heat disappation and if you have a good case with good cooling the noise isn't all that bad. My rig sits about 8' from me and noise just isn't a problem and the only reason I would water cool is for overclocking purposes.

But yes, 3 are fantastic for Surround, especially in 3D. I love my sig rig, the fucker kicks total ass. Go fot it!:D

I am smack dab in the middle of replacing my Eyefinity setup with a 3D Surround rig. Just picked up 2 of the 3 Acer gd235hzs, 1 GTX 480 now, 1 on the way- I wanted to do some serious testing before dropping a third 480 in the mix.

I'll get some numbers up for comparison sake once I get everything rocking. Very interested to see how the scaling goes from 2 to 3 480s (I was KIND of second guessing whether I should have waited for 2GB cards to hit, but what the heck...:D )

I'll get some numbers up for comparison sake once I get everything rocking. Very interested to see how the scaling goes from 2 to 3 480s (I was KIND of second guessing whether I should have waited for 2GB cards to hit, but what the heck...:D )

In 3D scaling in most games from 2 to 3 cards is excellent, close to 100% in Batman AA, Just Cause 2. In 2D hits been hit or miss but I've not tested scaling with the 260 drivers yet.

In 3D scaling in most games from 2 to 3 cards is excellent, close to 100% in Batman AA, Just Cause 2. In 2D hits been hit or miss but I've not tested scaling with the 260 drivers yet.

Very promising, indeed! Once I get the two going, I'll get that third on the way and be ready to rock! :cool:

Back