24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

To those that may be interested, I recently put my HP version up for auction at a cheap price of $250 (local pickup DFW).

For those of you that have ordered and already received it, how long did it take? I ordered mine about a week ago and i've gotten a tracking number from DHL but it doesn't give me any information so I don't even know if it's been shipped yet. :confused:

w00t I got my Xbox 360 today (Premium bundle) but couldnt find a VGA cable in town,For now its hooked to my 32" HDTV and looks great, Didnt have much time to mess with it yet as im on my way to work :( heres couple shots I took:

pic 1
pic 2 (Wireless controller battery pack charging so had to use wire for now)

Alex A. said:
Can anyone explain the me what the RGB - BNC x 5 in the back are used for?

The are basicly a VGA w/a different plugin method. VGA will connect to these adapters easly. In fact my buddy got one and it had the BNC toVGA adapter w/it. Works great for multi source hookups. Like xbox and a pc.

Can someone measure from base, to the top of one of those monitors? I've only got 19 and 11/16 inches to work with, but i'm pretty sure i'll order one of those fucking things and modify my desk when it doesn't fit

I got the BNC's. Worth it to me. Text and such appears sharper than before. Leaves the VGA open for an xbox360 too. ;) Yeah I know - couch goodness for consoles is what it's about, but I can hook it up to my standard set for friends gaming over my house, and I'll play anything by myself on this monitor until I can get an HD set. Who knows, depending on pic quality bet you my friends won't mind a little widescreen goodness as well. It's not TV big, but it's not exactly small either.

Slap me if I missed it, but is anyone here set up to recieve live HD broadcast signal straight to the FW900? Is that even possible without a transcoder? If so, is there a feature to bump 1080i to 1080p to go from "ooooh" to "ahhhhhh"? THAT would just be the icing on top of a beautiful cake.

BTW - based on my unfortunate experience with the HP set arriving DOA I suggest that any new buyers keep the packaging intact and test that puppy out. The sellers were extremely helpful and kind and sent me a DHL return label within minutes, but I had dismantled the tank of a box it came in. $50 at BoxBrothers to repackage. Lesson learned. :rolleyes:

Hey for the drive to check it out you can't go wrong. If it's in good condition, it's up to you about the warranty. Considering the value, and that it's hard to miss any possible faults and get screwed over in person, it's not a bad deal.

Screws up twice here though:
"A 160 Hz refresh rate and 2,304 x 1,440 maximum resolution will satisfy any professional, while the 24-inch screen (20.5-inch viewable) provides 21 percent more display area than 21-inch monitors."

First bold misleading at best. Second is 22.5". Still, nice specs on these.

good luck running it at 160 Hz refresh rate and 2,304 x 1,440. At that resolution I can run at stock setting 85 refresh rate.
And yes u can get HDTV signals with a ATI HDTV turner with receiver. 1080p is the resolution and this monitor goes beyond it. Only thing As nice is the apple 30 in but u need a dual dvi card and a strog wallet.

texuspete00 said:
I got the BNC's. Worth it to me. Text and such appears sharper than before. Leaves the VGA open for an xbox360 too. ;) Yeah I know - couch goodness for consoles is what it's about, but I can hook it up to my standard set for friends gaming over my house, and I'll play anything by myself on this monitor until I can get an HD set. Who knows, depending on pic quality bet you my friends won't mind a little widescreen goodness as well. It's not TV big, but it's not exactly small either.

What res/video card are you using? I can't seem to get the BNC connection to go over a certain resolution (I think it was 1200x800 @ 60hz). I had to switch over to VGA to do 19xx res at high refresh rates.

I_Like_Em_Wide said:
Slap me if I missed it, but is anyone here set up to recieve live HD broadcast signal straight to the FW900? Is that even possible without a transcoder? If so, is there a feature to bump 1080i to 1080p to go from "ooooh" to "ahhhhhh"? THAT would just be the icing on top of a beautiful cake.

BTW - based on my unfortunate experience with the HP set arriving DOA I suggest that any new buyers keep the packaging intact and test that puppy out. The sellers were extremely helpful and kind and sent me a DHL return label within minutes, but I had dismantled the tank of a box it came in. $50 at BoxBrothers to repackage. Lesson learned. :rolleyes:

you can buy a transcoder that converts from component input to vga (vga is compantiable with BNC, same singalling, different cable packaging).

But you'll be stuck with 1080i, you'd have to but a scaler/line doubler to convert to 1080p, but that would probably be prohibitive.

1080i won't look THAT bad.

strid3r said:
What res/video card are you using? I can't seem to get the BNC connection to go over a certain resolution (I think it was 1200x800 @ 60hz). I had to switch over to VGA to do 19xx res at high refresh rates.

Did you install the drivers for the FW900? It needs the proper display driver for the BNC connection, since it's not Plug 'N Play like the VGA connection is.

Correct driver:

http://www.sony-cp.com/drivers/crt/f_professional/fw900.exe

strid3r said:

Let me take a guess... You have a ATI video card?

OMFG. I'm so happy. I just found a Sony one for only $300 and the guy is located in Lawrence, MA. I live about 45 mintues away from there so can pick it up locally. WOOT!

Benton The Race said:
OMFG. I'm so happy. I just found a Sony one for only $300 and the guy is located in Lawrence, MA. I live about 45 mintues away from there so can pick it up locally. WOOT!

LOL This thread has now come full circle :D

Still no VGA cable but I ordered one online so should have it mid next week (4 day holiday ,no shipments until monday) I must say tho the Xbox 360 is a VERY IMPRESSIVE console , Kameo for example has better graphics than anything ive seen on PC without ANY slowdown and its actualy a fun game , Perfect Dark Zero is also great and has this extra polish to the graphics you just dont see on PC ..Very impressive especially just being launch titles ,I'll be sure to post pics once I get VGA going but for now heres a couple Kameo shots running on my 32" Sony HDTV via 1080i, (Looks much better in person):

Shot 1
Shot 2

I want one of these so bad. I am useing a crappy Dell W1700 (17" widescreen LCD w/ TV Tuner). It is a temp monitor, I am renting it for $70 a month till I can get a new Monitor, My old 17" CRT died on my at a bad time. I should be able to get one the first of January. I decided to pay the extra for the Sony as I do not want a Biege monitor!
I got a couple quistions:

1st: Is it worth getting a BNC cable, I know that I will be able to use the VGA for other things like Xbox 360 and all, but is it worth gettting just for the Video quality differance?

2nd: how hard would it be to pull it apart and to paint the case? I dont mind the Silver front, but the Purpleish rear section would need to go.

3rd: I have an old steel office desk I am useing, I am sure I would have to pull the desk away from the wall in order to leave room for a keyboard in front of the monitor, what I need to know is how far can I have the monitor hang over the back edge of the desk before the base starts to hang over, I know it is 20" deep my desk is 30" deep, 10" for keyboard is not enough! my old 19" sony G400 was just about the max I could bear with when my desk is against the wall.

How much does the VGA cable cost? and mathesar just outta curiosity are u satisfied with ur purchase? For some reason I think 360 looks good mostly on flat screens based on the stores i been to.
I just got n idea we should set up a site, and make the fw900 club.

Diablo2K said:
1st: Is it worth getting a BNC cable, I know that I will be able to use the VGA for other things like Xbox 360 and all, but is it worth gettting just for the Video quality differance?

2nd: how hard would it be to pull it apart and to paint the case? I dont mind the Silver front, but the Purpleish rear section would need to go.

Yes....I was just about to ask these two questions. Has anyone painted their monitor? I ordered the beige HP to save $75, but the beige is going to drive me nuts with the rest of the black and silver stuff that makes up my system.

I'm considering painting mine also, I don't mind the color but I want something flashy when I take it to a lan.

I'm a 250 pound decendent of the "Arian" race :D. It wont be a problem, although I am looking for a harness to strap this thing to my back so I don't have to take two trips. Better yet I could make it a pack like the paratroopers use. And sling all the stuff from my back :eek:

Hello? Sorry to ask again but, can someone give me confirmation of the vertical dimention, top to bottom? I cant figure out if the dimention mentioned in the auction is overall 'screen case' dimention or base to roof, of the monitor.

I think either way it's too big for my desk... Could someone measure their unit please? Thanks :)

RegisteredToPost said:
Hello? Sorry to ask again but, can someone give me confirmation of the vertical dimention, top to bottom? I cant figure out if the dimention mentioned in the auction is overall 'screen case' dimention or base to roof, of the monitor.

I think either way it's too big for my desk... Could someone measure their unit please? Thanks :)

I measured right at 19.5 inches from the bottom of the stand to the top of the monitor.

mathesar said:
I measured right at 19.5 inches from the bottom of the stand to the top of the monitor.

Thanks. You're dead positive? I have 19 and 11/16th inches of vertical space in my desk. It might be a tight squeeze :)

I know this has been asked before, but what it the difference bettween the Sony and the HP?

I have been asking this question atleast 1000 times and still haven't gotten a straight answer. Can the FW900 play 1080i resolution because this will be used for xbox 360.

Benton The Race said:
I have been asking this question atleast 1000 times and still haven't gotten a straight answer. Can the FW900 play 1080i resolution because this will be used for xbox 360.

Yes it can if you scan through this thread you'l see some 1080i shots, being this monitor is 16:10 aspect you'l see small black bars on top and bottom with 1080i, I plan on hooking up 360 to it soon as my VGA cable arrives next week.

mathesar said:
Yes it can if you scan through this thread you'l see some 1080i shots, being this monitor is 16:10 aspect you'l see small black bars on top and bottom with 1080i, I plan on hooking up 360 to it soon as my VGA cable arrives next week.
Sweet! Get some pics ASAP please!

Back