24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

Mine shipped out on the 10th. There were updates as it was traveling across the country. It just should that it had departed, and then after about five days it showed that it arrived at March Air Force Base. I'm sorry to hear about your trouble with DHL. I hope everything works out for you soon.

Error Macro said:
Mine shipped out on the 10th. There were updates as it was traveling across the country. It just should that it had departed, and then after about five days it showed that it arrived at March Air Force Base. I'm sorry to hear about your trouble with DHL. I hope everything works out for you soon.
I'm sorry if I'm not understanding you. . . but are you saying that there were not any updates on the tracking page at first. But, then after about five days, it did show an update as it arrived at March Air Force Base?

I figure that I'll wait through tomorrow and then, based on what DHL tells me, I'll call the seller. By all accounts, he's a good guy.

H

Error Macro said:
Yeah, that's right. There were zero updates on the DHL tracking page for about five days.

happened with mine too. No updates for like 6 days, then one morning it was in chicago. DHL (at least for me) has terrible tracking. I remember tracking things through fedex, and it told you every step the package had taken.

Very early post shows gamecube hooked up to this monitor. That item he showed doesnt look like it even connects to VGA so how do you hook up the gamecube to this monitor? I dont want to buy 3 parts just to do it. If that guy did it on one cable i wanna do the same or else im not gonna do it...
If you wanna see what im talking about look at page 3.

The thing is i found it but how i get the converter for american monitors? says they offer it but where?
http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/DOL-009.html?id=5AIhb8w5

Please people stop posting about lame things on this topic... WHO cares if you monitor is flying over the artic.

I got my HP branded one... it's amazing, I'm replacing a G500 so I've had a good monitor for a while. The extra screen space is unreal and HL2 is an incredible experience in widescreen.

Also, it arrived in like 3 business days and was packaged like a 100 lbs faberge egg.

One thing I've noticed is that even with image restoration there's a very slight vertical convergence problem with text that Im going to need to play with... $325 shipped is an amazing deal though.

Don't underestimate the weight of it. I can carry my g500 around just fine and that's a good 70+ lbs. The sheer size of this makes it incredibly awkward.

Just got my monitor about an hour ago. I've unpacked it, set it up, and am using it as I type this. :D I'm waiting 30 mins so I can do the image restoration, as the colors are quite washed out, and there's a greyish/green tint to everything, which I think I remember other people here talking about.

A couple of first impressions: It's huge! It doesn't take up that much more physical space than my Mitsubishi 19", but the screen real estate is gigantic. Everything is so different in widescreen! I'm running 1680x1050 @ 85hz in Windows, and it seems to be about the perfect size for this. Not too big, not too small. I think whoever used this monitor before must have used that resolution and refresh rate too, because when I changed the setting, it filled the screen just about perfectly. When I changed the refresh rate, everything was squished and distorted. So that particular setting was still in the memory, heh.

I'll report back in a bit with some pictures and more impressions.

Error Macro said:
Just got my monitor about an hour ago. I've unpacked it, set it up, and am using it as I type this. :D I'm waiting 30 mins so I can do the image restoration, as the colors are quite washed out, and there's a greyish/green tint to everything, which I think I remember other people here talking about.

A couple of first impressions: It's huge! It doesn't take up that much more physical space than my Mitsubishi 19", but the screen real estate is gigantic. Everything is so different in widescreen! I'm running 1680x1050 @ 85hz in Windows, and it seems to be about the perfect size for this. Not too big, not too small. I think whoever used this monitor before must have used that resolution and refresh rate too, because when I changed the setting, it filled the screen just about perfectly. When I changed the refresh rate, everything was squished and distorted. So that particular setting was still in the memory, heh.

I'll report back in a bit with some pictures and more impressions.

Cool hopefully you like it , When you run Image Restore you might try turning up the brightness setting a bit higher than you normally would just before running it (Not contrast), this has been known to get rid of persistent green tint problems with various sony monitors, especially if you notice it on black backgrounds. Mine still shows a slight green tint when first turning it on but completely goes away after warm up.

[CaM]Spoon said:
Please people stop posting about lame things on this topic... WHO cares if you monitor is flying over the artic.
Excuse me, tough guy, but this thread is both about this monitor and our experiences with the seller who is primarily responsible for them being available to us. So, posting our experience with delayed or lost shipments (and how the tracking for them works) is relevant. If you have a problem with this information being forced upon you, I have a humble suggestion. . . scroll past it.

Hurin said:
Excuse me, tough guy, but this thread is both about this monitor and our experiences with the seller who is primarily responsible for them being available to us. So, posting our experience with delayed or lost shipments (and how the tracking for them works) is relevant. If you have a problem with this information being forced upon you, I have a humble suggestion. . . scroll past it.

well said...

Wow not only that but the useless information gets answered. Not starting anything here but you have your opinion and i feel that this was comments on monitor not shipping. But your free to say what you want.
peace.

to date my screen still seems a bit washed out... are there any people out there who have hawk eyes for perfect colors? Wht brightness and contrast do you guys have set. Also what are your color settings at aswell?

thx

V3|!UM said:
to date my screen still seems a bit washed out... are there any people out there who have hawk eyes for perfect colors? Wht brightness and contrast do you guys have set. Also what are your color settings at aswell?

thx

I have my brightness set at 28 and contrast at 72 ,when playing games or watching movies ill up the contrast to 90 for added vibrancy ,but brightness always stays the same which gives me deep black levels. Color is set on 6500k ,My videocard gamma/brightness etc. settings are all at default except I have Digital Vibrancy enabled on Low (available on Nvidia cards ,not sure if ATI has something similar) this gives colors an overall boost in vibrancy ,its basically like turning up the color setting on a TV set.

hmm.. i'm debating if i want the HP or the sony.. l cant even remember when was my last crt monitor :D

I think i'm getting some electromagnetic interfference with my cables since theres a lot going close it. Anyone knows where to get better cables. The ones included aren't great.

doesn't having your brightness so low hurt your ability to see in games with dark areas?

V3|!UM said:
doesn't having your brightness so low hurt your ability to see in games with dark areas?

Nope its still bright enough to where I dont lose any detail with darker shades,Come to think of it I believe the brightness adjustments look differant from one monitor to the other so using another users settings probably isnt the best idea.

For example the Image Restoration option has an effect on the current brightness setting, this reason alone would make it varied from one unit to another.

Would it hurt to use the image restoration function more than once? I used it earlier today, and it fixed all the washed out colors and such. Then I read later that you (mathesar) had said to raise the brightness a bit before using it...

Also, funny enough, the monitor was already set at 30 brightness, 90 contrast. After fiddling around a bit with different levels, I went back and settled on 30/90, as it seemed to be the best. If I had the brightness any higher, the black level was too high, and things looked grey instead of black.

I also forgot how sensitive CRTs are to light. I was so used to using my LCD with my overhead room lights on (which are fairly bright - 4 x 60w bulbs), but I can't play games with the lights on with CRT. The lights reflect off the tube and wash everything out. Web surfing and Windows stuff is okay with the lights on, maybe helps avoid eye strain, but I gotta be in the dark for games. I'll have to hook my desk lamp back up for some ambient lighting when my overheard lights are off, to avoid strain.

The DHL tracking system is a little bad, I agree. According to them my monitor was shipped 17 February, 2004. :D

Error Macro said:
Would it hurt to use the image restoration function more than once? I used it earlier today, and it fixed all the washed out colors and such. Then I read later that you (mathesar) had said to raise the brightness a bit before using it...

Also, funny enough, the monitor was already set at 30 brightness, 90 contrast. After fiddling around a bit with different levels, I went back and settled on 30/90, as it seemed to be the best. If I had the brightness any higher, the black level was too high, and things looked grey instead of black.

I also forgot how sensitive CRTs are to light. I was so used to using my LCD with my overhead room lights on (which are fairly bright - 4 x 60w bulbs), but I can't play games with the lights on with CRT. The lights reflect off the tube and wash everything out. Web surfing and Windows stuff is okay with the lights on, maybe helps avoid eye strain, but I gotta be in the dark for games. I'll have to hook my desk lamp back up for some ambient lighting when my overheard lights are off, to avoid strain.

You can run it more than once but if the green tint is gone now then there's no need to run it with the higher brightness.

Ya CRTs are sensitive to room lighting,I have no overhead lighting in my room and instead have 2 lamps ,there's one behind my TV in a corner that usually stays on and I close the curtains during the day when playing games or watching movies.

[CaM]Spoon said:
are all the ones off ebay have scratches? No one sells good condition ones?
At $225 or $300, yes, you'll have to put up with used (and therefore, probably scratched bezels). But, you can buy a refurbished one that looks and perorms just like new (according to the seller) for about $1000. Here's
one .

H

JUST checked my fw900 for scratches. Theres one. On the side of the case, and about 4 inches long. I dont think it would be worth it to pay another $600 for the scratch not to be there.

However, i really cant think of how it got scratched in the first place.

Mine has 3 or 4 good scratches... looks like someone stuff attached to it while they were using it. Screen's fine though and the scratches are small enough so that they aren't a big deal.

I must have gotten lucky with mine, because there is just one spot where there are two minor scratches at the top of the bezel. I think I'll try a silver Sharpie pen on them.

i agree another 500 dollers for one without scratches.. forget it.
I really hope ill become one of the fw900 family..

This monitor so sweet damn. I love mine so far. No scratches on mine, but I picked it up directly from him, so he prepared one for me.

Error Macro said:
I must have gotten lucky with mine, because there is just one spot where there are two minor scratches at the top of the bezel. I think I'll try a silver Sharpie pen on them.

Weird, I got an HP but mine looks exactly like the sony but with an HP logo. Yours is silver?

InternationalHat said:
Weird, I got an HP but mine looks exactly like the sony but with an HP logo. Yours is silver?
All the Sonys are black and silver. The HPs are the standard beige.

Sadly, I did think it was worth it to pony up the extra $75 for the fancier Sony. :)

yeah i just noticed that.. i really like the silver ones better though.. they only seem to be delievering them to usa though. Like one is selling for 300 american though but thats to much money.

Hurin said:
At $225 or $300, yes, you'll have to put up with used (and therefore, probably scratched bezels). But, you can buy a refurbished one that looks and perorms just like new (according to the seller) for about $1000. Here's
one .

H

nah man....I bought a refurbished FW900 a few weeks ago off ebay for 360shipped....it was located out of Plano,TX so just look for that location...I'm not sure if they are still up there or not

ellover009 said:
will anyone try to hook up a xbox 360 to the fw900. and can u post picst?

If I can find a console in town tomorrow along with a VGA cable I will (not to promising tho) ,Tonight I went out and bought these games tho :D

To get an idea of how xbox360 should look on the FW900 I downloaded a direct screen capture from xbox360 and set my monitor to 1280x720 (720P) , I think its safe to say its going to rock :)

IMG_FW900-X360r.jpg

larger res version of the same shot here.

...another victim of a FW900 drooling episode...I just ordered the HP/Compaq model for 225 :D

I'm going from a generic 17" lcd to this. I can't wait to not have a "native resolution" again...

sarbz said:
...another victim of a FW900 drooling episode...I just ordered the HP/Compaq model for 225 :D

I'm going from a generic 17" lcd to this. I can't wait to not have a "native resolution" again...

Don't worry, you'll love it. It's the best gaming monitor ever made. Well, assuming you're in the normal position sitting at a desk. An HDTV, projector, or quality presentation monitor would be better for across the room use.

If you've got the game and the hardware for it, don't forget to try some games at 2304x1440. WIth my 6800GT the best looking game I've gotten to run decently at that res is HL2. No AA & 8X AF, but at that res you really don't need AA. Aside from the pixels being tiny, the FW900 really tops out at 1920x1200 if you'd like a clear image. (Just divide the dot pitch by the screen size to understand why... you'll get about 1920x1200) You'd think this would suck, but it's really rather nice in a lot of games, particularly FPS games. Running the screen past it's dot pitch limits results in a nice "free" AA-like smoothing effect. Looks like shit on the desktop though (Just image AA blending your fonts into the background) and sucks if the game doesn't scale everything up with resolution. Morrowind, for example, is pretty irritating since the fonts don't scale up.

I'm actually more excited about using equal or lower resolutions than my lcd's native. There are some games coming out now that I can't run at 1280 x 1024 with everything maxed out w/aa & af. If I go to 1024x768, it just looks like crap. CRT's just don't have that problem.

zandor: said:
If you've got the game and the hardware for it, don't forget to try some games at 2304x1440. WIth my 6800GT the best looking game I've gotten to run decently at that res is HL2. No AA & 8X AF, but at that res you really don't need AA. Aside from the pixels being tiny, the FW900 really tops out at 1920x1200 if you'd like a clear image. (Just divide the dot pitch by the screen size to understand why... you'll get about 1920x1200) You'd think this would suck, but it's really rather nice in a lot of games, particularly FPS games. Running the screen past it's dot pitch limits results in a nice "free" AA-like smoothing effect. Looks like shit on the desktop though (Just image AA blending your fonts into the background) and sucks if the game doesn't scale everything up with resolution. Morrowind, for example, is pretty irritating since the fonts don't scale up.
Do you have any pics of a game and/or desktop @ 2304x1440??

Back