22" IPS monitors?

Biges

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi!

I haven't been here for quite some time, messing with mobiles instead :)

But a need had arisen to a new monitor for my GF. It should be 22" IPS, so I'd like to ask if there is an alternative to Dell 2209WA (cheaper one) (or probably a 24" IPS (cheap)). But 22" should have resolution 1680x1050, not Full HD! (pixel size)

It must be standard sRGB (not wide gamut) and available in Europe.

Dell 2209WA is not the sweet spot. It's an e-IPS panel is OK.

In that size and price range the best bang for the buck is the U2211H (235 GBP). It is IPS, has excellent color accuracy, sRGB (72%) and has good blacks.

If you want to jump to 24" the low cost IPS sweet spot is the HP ZR24W. It is also IPS and sRGB. There is a huge thread on this forum.

Review at TFTCenteral

The market has shifted and more low cost IPS models are available and sRGB screens seem to be making a come back. It's a good time to get a monitor.

Thanks, I'll check the monitors. The only disadvantage of ZR24W seems to be poor black. Well, well, these new budget IPS screens are just not as good as H-IPS :)

Dell 2209WA is not the sweet spot. It's an e-IPS panel is OK.

In that size and price range the best bang for the buck is the U2211H (235 GBP). It is IPS, has excellent color accuracy, sRGB (72%) and has good blacks.
U2211H is also on sale right now (last I checked) for 25% off (so $209 + tax). Picked one up since my old ultrasharp died. Should be in tomorrow \o/

U2211H is also on sale right now (last I checked) for 25% off (so $209 + tax). Picked one up since my old ultrasharp died. Should be in tomorrow \o/
US sales usually don't apply to Europe ;)
Beside it's 16:9, I have to keep my style - 16:10 minimum :D

U2211H and U2311H are eIPS panels also. Better than a TN but not by much.
I guess these are cheap alternatives for gamers but eIPS color gamut and viewing angles are OK at best.
I would mind but them for gaming but for any kind of graphic work, S/H-IPS would be my panel of choice.

Last edited:
As you can see in my signature, my primary home monitor is NEC 2690 - H-IPS with A-TW polarizer. But A-TW monitors are now nowhere to get, not that I'd be willing to pay that money for another monitor.

Supposedly the HP ZR22W is S-IPS. And I don't think the DPI is that high on a 1080P 22" monitor. The DPI is even higher on my Macbook Pro (15.4" @1440x900). I think the U2211H and the ZR22W have a nice DPI.

Edit: According to the data sheet the zr22w is: S-IPS (UH-IPS technology for improved energy efficiency)

Last edited:
The LG W2220 is a tad cheaper in some countries.
It shares the panel with 2209WA.

Supposedly the HP ZR22W is S-IPS. And I don't think the DPI is that high on a 1080P 22" monitor. The DPI is even higher on my Macbook Pro (15.4" @1440x900). I think the U2211H and the ZR22W have a nice DPI.[/B]

Hey, hey, who's buying a monitor here? You or me? If you want a new monitor with a high DPI feel free to start your own topic ;)

The LG W2220 is a tad cheaper in some countries.
It shares the panel with 2209WA.

Good point. But well, it's LG... And Dell has much better support there in Czechia. And supposedly better QC.

Hey, hey, who's buying a monitor here? You or me? If you want a new monitor with a high DPI feel free to start your own topic ;)

Good point. But well, it's LG... And Dell has much better support there in Czechia. And supposedly better QC.

Haha, sorry I was just trying to assuage any fears you had by arguing that 22"@1080p is not as high of a DPI as you might think (you can also change DPI settings in Windows).

And I already own a nice NEC thankyouverymuch.

So I just gambled a bit and ordered two refurbished monitors, one NEC and one Dell. I hope at least one of them will be OK, I'd not like to send them back to Germany :)

Back