120Hz LCD Info Thread

Is the Asus 23.6" or 23", from the name I'd say 23.6", but all the specs say 23"?!?

Personal preference I guess... I like the glossy screen on my Alienware M11x laptop, and think it would be worse if matted.

I've found certain situations where I do like the look of a glossy display. However, as I'm building a 3D surround configuration, I don't want the gloss to limit the reflection of light/image from nearby monitors. If I was just interested in a single display solution, I'd be all over the Asus.

I've found certain situations where I do like the look of a glossy display. However, as I'm building a 3D surround configuration, I don't want the gloss to limit the reflection of light/image from nearby monitors. If I was just interested in a single display solution, I'd be all over the Asus.

Glossy is primarily used to help with adding vidiness to color and brightness. The OptX is so amazingly bright even with its matte finish it doesn't need to be glossy IMHO.

Last edited:
So any clue when the LG W2363D will hit the streets. I'm ready to buy yesterday. Don't think I can hold out much longer. If the Alienware goes on sale again I may go ahead and pull the trigger. The Asus was my preferred choice but not with the glasses included in the price.

So any clue when the LG W2363D will hit the streets. I'm ready to buy yesterday. Don't think I can hold out much longer. If the Alienware goes on sale again I may go ahead and pull the trigger. The Asus was my preferred choice but not with the glasses included in the price.

What do you prefer on Asus? I know after years of dealing with them I had extensions to all there head IT and support guys, not something I wanna repeat. They did have beautiful displays on their notebooks. Trying to decide right now if I wanna return the Acer and get the Asus, would prefer to wait for tiger direct, but I would also need to return my glasses. I had some very unpleasant conversations with some pleasant (hindi) folks as Acer when I wanted to know if there was some acknowledgment with the standby settings issue, they wanted me to send it in (would be faster to return it and get the Asus from newegg).

What do you prefer on Asus?

The short of it is I have no clue if it would be better than the competing 120hz lcds. It's because I currently own the ASUS 26" VK266H and I was hoping the quality would continue with the Asus 120hz model.

While I'm very happy with the VK266H. I miss the zero ghosting issues of CRTS. I'm under the impression the 120hz will get me closer to CRT goodness again. If that's the case a 120hz is a must buy. I just need to decide on which one.

the lg can already be bought in the eu for weeks
no idea why it isn't available in the us yet

its clearly the best 120hz tft right now

Acer Review
http://www.digitalversus.com/acer-gd245hq-p357_7352_38.html

Alienware Review
http://www.digitalversus.com/alienware-optx-aw2310-p357_9084_470.html

Asus Review
http://www.digitalversus.com/asus-vg236h-p357_8913_150.html

LG Review
http://www.digitalversus.com/lg-flatron-w2363d-p357_8104_35.html

If they were all lined up and calibrated in a day time enviroment the Asus would look the best thanks to the glossy screen (which could also be it's achilles heel), other wise they all have similar performance. DV says the Acer is the best 120hz display over all.

Acer Review
http://www.digitalversus.com/acer-gd245hq-p357_7352_38.html

Alienware Review
http://www.digitalversus.com/alienware-optx-aw2310-p357_9084_470.html

Asus Review
http://www.digitalversus.com/asus-vg236h-p357_8913_150.html

LG Review
http://www.digitalversus.com/lg-flatron-w2363d-p357_8104_35.html

If they were all lined up and calibrated in a day time enviroment the Asus would look the best thanks to the glossy screen (which could also be it's achilles heel), other wise they all have similar performance. DV says the Acer is the best 120hz display over all.

And this article says that the Alienware is overall a slightly better monitor than the Acer.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/3D-Monitor-Acer-Alienware,review-1506.html

And this article says that the Alienware is overall a slightly better monitor than the Acer.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/3D-Monitor-Acer-Alienware,review-1506.html

So is slightly better worth approx $130 over the Acer?

So anyone know if the LG will be released within the next 2 weeks? I need to pull the trigger by then. I have a sale for my current monitor but time is running out. If the LG doesn't appear what would you get? The Alienware (if on sale again), Asus, or Acer?

The Alienware OptX AW2310 is MUCH better built than the Acer GD235HZ, was deciding between these two and to me the OptX is worth the difference. I'd never seen the OptXs in person before I bought them but I had seen the Acer and I just didn't care for it. It's not bad but there is a reason for the price difference.

I think the new ASUS VG236H is the best one so far and the price is also very reasonable, MSRP of $329 I think it was without 3D vision glasses (cheapest by far!). If you check the digitalversus review colors are extremely good like Acer already has for a TN panel and it sounded like flatpanelhd's review that the ASUS also looked better according to them (perhaps better contrast?), it doesn't seem to have the overdrive issue that creates too sharp text either. Backlight bleeding is still questionable though but most reviews keep using a lot higher brightness setting than I'd ever use, I'd prolly use around 35 or so, I'm using 24 on my ViewSonic but that's due to very excess backlight bleed issue on my sample but I don't find it too dark after I've become used to it, I find it suitable and my eyes will thank me as well. I'm always more interested how the backlight bleeding is when brightness is turned to the 30 - 50 range or so.

Last edited:
I have a question.

Is anyone who follows this thread interested in the 120hz monitors mainly for its "closer to" CRT qualities? I honestly will probably never get the 3d glasses.

As long as picture quality is decent, the main things im interested in are input lag and best response time, to get the smoothest and most perceivable picture possible. Colors be damned, i could care less. Backlight bleeding, can matter if its bad enough.

Am i the only one in this boat?

Also, is anyone not telling Digital Versus their response time testing is flawed?

I have a question.

Is anyone who follows this thread interested in the 120hz monitors mainly for its "closer to" CRT qualities? I honestly will probably never get the 3d glasses.

As long as picture quality is decent, the main things im interested in are input lag and best response time, to get the smoothest and most perceivable picture possible. Colors be damned, i could care less. Backlight bleeding, can matter if its bad enough.

I am in the same position I just want a faster refresh rate for smoother picture quality. I can really tell how blurry an lcd is when I turn quickly in BFBC2.

I have a question.

Also, is anyone not telling Digital Versus their response time testing is flawed?

I am in the same position I just want a faster refresh rate for smoother picture quality. I can really tell how blurry an lcd is when I turn quickly in BFBC2.

At least with the OptX and pretty much any of the 120Hz monitors these problems should be solved. Yes, the refresh rate is VERY noticeable in in desktop mode, tearing is gone, and input lag is non-existent in my observation. These are all TN panels of course, they just aren't going to match an IPS monitor in color accuracy and viewing angles but I deal with a lot of text and read a lot on screen, the higher refresh is a lot easier on my eyes.

Since I don't deal with graphics and the viewing angles and color shifting aren't horrible, I'll take the higher refresh rate all day long. Personal choice but I'm very happy with these monitors. Very bright, sharp text, non input lag, no tearing, and v-sync at 120Hz when a came can maintain a 120FPS frame rate is just awesome. It's what they claim to do and they do it well, thus the price premium.

Mostly in it for the CRT experience, but the 3D is a neat gimmick, having a blast messing with it. To bad PowerDVD 10 Mark II is so damn expensive, wanna see Star Trek converted to 3D with the DTS surround (which is already awesome on PowerDVD 9).

Yeah I would also like to know where you read that.
Can you point us to anything online that states or shows this?
3d vision blog review
http://3dvision-blog.com/review-of-the-23-lg-w2363d-120hz-full-hd-3d-gaming-monitor/

I have a question.

no, i'm mainly interested because of the 2d refresh rate too
but i also care about the picture quality a lot
crts have perfectly even colors without backlighting or viewing angle issues after all
don't wanna downgrade

but i also care about the picture quality a lot
crts have perfectly even colors without backlighting or viewing angle issues after all
don't wanna downgrade

They aren't good with text however. No one display technology has it all at the moment, you have to make compromises.

I have a question.

I've recently switched from the almighty Sony FW900 CRT to a Samsung 2233rz and use it purely for 2D FPS gaming. While it has some brightness uniformity issues (darker at top and the need to sit in centre), for gaming with vsync disabled it is almost indistinguishable from the CRT. I cannot detect any motion blur or input lag. The newer 120hz tfts are supposed to be quicker. I purchased the 2233rz second hand to see if a TFT could finally replace the CRT. I'm eagerly awaiting the Asus 27", but do fear the extra size for TN may exacerbate the uniformity issues. I would pay big bucks for a 120hz IPS monitor.

To put the above in perspective, I've purchased a dozen TFTs over the last few years and returned them all. I even bought 2 of the much acclaimed Dell 2209wa TFTs. After a few weeks I couldn't take 60hz gaming any more, so went out and purchased another Sony FW900 to replace one of them.

At least with the OptX and pretty much any of the 120Hz monitors these problems should be solved.

I've recently switched from the almighty Sony FW900 CRT to a Samsung 2233rz and use it purely for 2D FPS gaming. While it has some brightness uniformity issues (darker top and the need to sit in centre), for gaming with vsync disabled it is almost indistinguishable from the CRT. I cannot detect any motion blur or input lag. The newer 120hz tfts are supposed to be quicker.

Thanks for the info guys. You comments have helped me move towards a final purchase. It appears from what you've said any of the 120hz should make me happy since my goal is to to get a LCD as near to crt quality (for gaming) as possible for a LCD. So unless the LG releases soon here are my options.

Acer would be the best bang for the buck
Asus for the glasses if I want to eventually use the 3D feature. I don't have a Nvidia card at the moment.
Alienware if I want the best quality(?) but only if it goes on sale. I can't justify spending $500 for just the LCD.

So with that, are there any issues with the Acer that make it a non purchase? The only thing I've read so far about the Asus is it has a shiny (glare) screen which bothers some people.

Bought the Acer GD245 few weeks ago.
I am pleased with it. The colours are good for me.
Notice the difference with a 60hz monitor in gaming.
3d gaming however in multiplayer is bad.

The reviewer in that article stated he never saw or tested the Alienware, let alone the new Asus. So how can you say the LG is the best out there? :confused:

both cost the same but the alienware got:
- worse backlighting
- product quality issues
- possible input lag

i'm not saying the lg is great but it is the best 120hz tft at the moment
the review shows no real issues except the usual tn panel

@op how long until we get 120hz computer monitors with type ips panels?
nothing announced yet unfortunately

my guess:
if we are lucky 1 year
if we are unlucky 5-10 years

So how about a link for the asus monitor for sale without the glasses? .. I'd definitely be interested in purchasing one of these monitors without the glasses.

Honestly I am an FPS player and I am in need of a monitor with virtually no input lag.. The only monitor that seems to have that is the LG, everyone recently is saying the Asus is the best choice though. Honestly anything is better than the 22" 2ms samsung I have that only runs @ 75hz.. I just don't want to invest 400+ dollars into something when what I really want is the no input lag.

Bottom Line:

Link for the Asus Monitor w/o the glasses.
Link for the LG monitor for the states!

So how about a link for the asus monitor for sale without the glasses? .. I'd definitely be interested in purchasing one of these monitors without the glasses.

Honestly I am an FPS player and I am in need of a monitor with virtually no input lag.. The only monitor that seems to have that is the LG, everyone recently is saying the Asus is the best choice though. Honestly anything is better than the 22" 2ms samsung I have that only runs @ 75hz.. I just don't want to invest 400+ dollars into something when what I really want is the no input lag.

Bottom Line:

Link for the Asus Monitor w/o the glasses.
Link for the LG monitor for the states!

well 120Hz along with no input lag would enable you to play with Vsync without any hindering lag. Plus it looks hell of a lot smoother than 75Hz of course, and there is virtually no light bleed on the LG W2363D's. 400 dollars isn't that much for such awesomeness.

both cost the same but the alienware got:
- worse backlighting
- product quality issues
- possible input lag
Again, I'd like to know where you're getting this info because nothing you've provided shows this to be true. And everything I've seen is just the opposite.

i'm not saying the lg is great but it is the best 120hz tft at the moment
You keep saying that, but there's no comparison of the LG to the Alienware or the Asus, so how can you possibily know it's the best out there right now?

Again, I'd like to know where you're getting this info because nothing you've provided shows this to be true. And everything I've seen is just the opposite.

You keep saying that, but there's no comparison of the LG to the Alienware or the Asus, so how can you possibily know it's the best out there right now?

FlatpanelsHD has already reviewed the alienware, and is currently doing reviews of the asus and the lg - with a bit of luck in a week or two you'll get the full comparison.

Display port 1.2 have max bandwidth of 17.28 Gbits. Using that a 2580x1600 120hz display should be possible.

seen pictures of the poor backlighting
users complaining about defects at nvidia 3dvision forums
and no proof for "no input lag"

Display port 1.2 have max bandwidth of 17.28 Gbits. Using that a 2580x1600 120hz display should be possible.
well of course its possible
1920x1080@120hz for example is already possible for more than 10 years
but the industry is very slow and uncreative

seen pictures of the poor backlighting
users complaining about defects at nvidia 3dvision forums
and no proof for "no input lag"
Again, all heresay without any real evidence. It's also quite possible a user got a bad one. You'll normally hear more complaints than praise. Check the Alienware OptX thread here, and you'll see it seems to be quite decent. As to how it holds up against the LG, we'll have to wait for an actual comparison review. But from what I've read so far, the Asus and Alienware are the top 3D panels right now.

Back