Eyefinity with DP to VGA adapter

[L]imey

[H]ard|Gawd
I was reading over on Widescreen gaming forum that users have successfully utilized this:

http://www.directron.com/apdpvga.html

to run a 3rd monitor off the displayport, as opposed to dropping 100+ on the bizlink DP to DVI adapter.

For those of us planning to run 3x22", it doesn't look like there would be any sacrifice in image quality using vga rather than DVI. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Kyle or Brent, if you guys get a chance, I'd sure love some additional confirmation on this :)

yeah anyone with a eyefinity setup give it a go, i'm looking to pickup 3 Samsung 22" 2243BW+ (because they are cheap and pivot allowing PPP and LLL) and hanging my current 24 inch off my Physx card. Dell's P22 displayport ones are almost twice the price here in NZ.

edit: Managed to track down an HP DP->VGA converter, but only in stock after the 15th December oh well, no rush so i'll wait till then.

Last edited:
In theory it should be able to drive 1920x1200, yes? Wish I would have known about this before I dropped $100 on an active one.

The specs on it say it'll do 1080p. A guy I work with says he's running his 19x12 screen off VGA, so it stands to reason it'll work.

Now i'm rethinking my purchase of a DP dell 22 to sit between my acers. Might be better just to grab a 3rd acer and this thing to keep my colors consistent.

Thoughts?

Damn, wish I wouldve seen this earlier, I would've stopped by Directron on the way home from work.

I'm going to go by there Friday to try to pick one up. I've got the monitors, but was waiting for the adapters to come down to a reasonable price before giving it a go.

yeah give it a go wilsonrdfl, eagerly wait for your results or anyone else willing to give it a go. :)

Just placed my order. Will go up there first thing Friday morning and post the results when I get back.

Fry's has the acer monitors I've got on sale tomorrow for 100 bucks... limit of 1 per customer but you might be able to get some dedicated friends to go with you. Grab 3 of these and the adapter above from either directron or the egg and you're rocking 5040x1050 eyefinity for 350 bucks. Awesome.

Sorry for the delay guys. Got sidetracked today and didn't get to pick it up. Will put up results tomorrow morning.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Last edited:
yeah DP ->DVI is digital signal so won't work, i'm getting the HP DP -> VGA but only on the 15th Dec, this probably will work because it requires and active conversion process to output to VGA. Can't hurt to give it a go only a $20 converter :)

Well i paid in South Africa R 280-00 ( $40-00) for it but are going to ask them to exchange it for the VGA one, hope it works as 2 screen are nice but can't play FPS games as you sights are smack on the bezels.

I have one of the active DP to DVI adapters (purchased from Dell) if anyone is interested. I decided against keeping my eyefinity setup and don't need it anymore. I would be willing to sell the adapter for $60 shipped. PM me if your interested.

I have one of the active DP to DVI adapters (purchased from Dell) if anyone is interested. I decided against keeping my eyefinity setup and don't need it anymore. I would be willing to sell the adapter for $60 shipped. PM me if your interested.
wish I would of seen this earlier. before I ordered one myself.

Why are you not keeping the eyefinity setup

Still waiting for any additional confirmation that this works, particularly with 3 of the same size monitors. My adapter gets here Wed.

well i hope mine here on Wednesday also. i had to purchase it as they did not want to give me credit fot the Dp to DVi one which i got on Friday

Ugh! Since UPS GROUND doesn't ship on the day after thanksgiving my adapter might not be here till Thursday. Sigh.

No the DP to DVI-I does not work. I can see 3 monitors in CCC but one is always disabled no matter what you try to do. Except if someone has advice for me. I thus only have option of using 2 screens for Eyefinity

Well despite some kind of internal UPS error, the nice woman on the phone assured me my adapter will be here tomorrow morning. Hope there are no issues with the adapter.

Well you are lucky. Was informed this afternoon that there is no stock on my adapter. Only in four weeks which makes it NEW YEAR... Just bought my 3 x 22" last week for eyefinity and sold my 26"

Yeah i noticed that it went quickly out of stock once word spread that it might work. Where did you order from?

From a local firm in town who gets it from the head office.
I was playing around with my "old" DP to DVI and interesting that when i boot the DP screen and one DVI boots with the other saying "no signal detected" but once in windows 7 it switches to DP and the other DVI screen. I see all 3 screen in CCC but it always wants one screen disabled. Guess this where Active adapter makes a difference

yeah my in stock for today just been bumped to Dec 24th :( arrgh. Ah well might as well wait it out.

Adapter just got here. Took a little messing with to get the DP to receive signal, but it works like a charm. Tried out all my games. It is BEAUTIFUL :) Grab them when you can.

[L]imey;1034960096 said:
I was reading over on Widescreen gaming forum that users have successfully utilized this:

http://www.directron.com/apdpvga.html

to run a 3rd monitor off the displayport, as opposed to dropping 100+ on the bizlink DP to DVI adapter.

For those of us planning to run 3x22", it doesn't look like there would be any sacrifice in image quality using vga rather than DVI. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Kyle or Brent, if you guys get a chance, I'd sure love some additional confirmation on this :)

Addressed this a few days ago with response from AMD.

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2009/11/30/eyefinity_using_active_adapter

Wow this is great news..confirming this works. mine arriving tomorrow. Eyefinity here i come

Well i got my DP to VGA (monoprice) but can't get it to work. Even with just my one screen connected to the DP to VGA the screen flickers on and off every few seconds. Need help
It dispays this message: "System detected link failure and cannot set requested resolution and refresh rate on your Displayport display...."

Last edited:
Ok update: Don't know how but got it fixed. Although i only get the resolution to : 3840 x 1024
My screens are 22" : 1920 x 1080
Any advice would be appreciated

Back