Just built a new computer, need a game to impress myself.

Kanaric

Limp Gawd
I just built a I7 system using two 4870s and want to play a game that utilizes this setup to its potential. Any suggestions?

I kind of want to shy away from generic shooters like crysis however if that is what I must buy then go ahead and suggest it.

Crysis is quite far from a "generic shooter", but even if it was just a generic shooter, it's the only game out there that still wasn't maxed. GTA 4 seems to be in that league aswell, though its graphics aren't quite as good as the ones in Crysis IMO.

You say you don't want Crysis, but it is the ONLY game that will really impress you.

Impress yourself by playing what you use to play. Only this time at max settings.

I recently build an i7 system myself. And went back to all the games that I could not play before to satisfaction:

Have not play FIrst Persons since I got into World of Warcraft and MMOs. And in general because of the crappy performace I use to get on the older system.

So here is my list of games I just completed with in the last month thanks to my new system:

Call of Duty World at War (Enjoyed it)
Call of Duty Modernwarfare (Enjoyed it)
Crysis Warhead (Got Bored with it)
Far Cry 2 (GTA in the jungle its ok but not for me)
Just installed Bio Shock (stil working on it) yes the first one

And of course I still play World at Warcraft but now I have everything Max out :)

Crysis is anything but a generic shooter, it just got a really bad rap because of the tidal wave of whiney bitches complaining that it would not run at maximum details on their 3 year old laptops.

Do yourself a favour and play it, it was a brilliant game even though the ending was very anticlimactic.

Ok, crysis sounds good. I had a friend who played it and said that the game wasn't good and was a generic game, guess from what you all are saying he must be wrong. I'll have to check that out. Also I would get COD but my friends are waiting for the next game for some reason and I would play that game strictly for MP and with people i know.

The Witcher, Fallout 3 with all the high texture mods.
That sounds interesting, never played witcher and I enjoy fallout 3. Never heard of these high texture mods, better check that out. RPGs are my favorite genre. Just wish Dragon Age or something along those lines were out.

Any other suggestions?

Assassins Creed
Tomb Raider (The latest three)
Latest Prince of Persia (Ending deserves an award)

Last edited:
+1 for Crysis Warhead
it really isn't a generic FPS, I would cough those up to the Call of Duty games of anything else that EA or Tom Clancy has his name on...
but if it's still not your taste i thought DMC4 looked sexy myself but i love that series...

Crysis is a blast to play on top of how good it looks. It's definitely my favorite straight up FPS game since Half life 2 came out. It looks amazing and if you like this kind of game at all you should go for it. Bioshock is also really awesome looking on a good PC. I can't really remember anything else that isn't a few years old.

Crysis is anything but a generic shooter, it just got a really bad rap because of the tidal wave of whiney bitches complaining that it would not run at maximum details on their 3 year old laptops.

Do yourself a favour and play it, it was a brilliant game even though the ending was very anticlimactic.

this needs to be quoted because it hits the nail right on the damn head. well said.

Agree on the latest Prince of Persia. The graphics in that game are gorgeously stylized. The platforming is fun too, although the combat gets somewhat repetitive.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky hands down the most realistic looking game to date. If you haven't played it at full settings , you should.

I hope those 4870s are 1gb models not 512mb. Far Cry 2, GTA4 and Fallout 3 with texture mods will all zip right past 512mb even at 1680 with 4x AA.

This. Once I got my 4870x2 man I enjoyed the fuck outta Crysis with a custom texture and config pack.

Doom 3/Quake 4 if you want some good shadow effects... But yea, Crysis.

I would recommend Supreme Commander if you like seeing pretty colors go everywhere on the screen.

Crysis is quite far from a "generic shooter", but even if it was just a generic shooter, it's the only game out there that still wasn't maxed. GTA 4 seems to be in that league aswell, though its graphics aren't quite as good as the ones in Crysis IMO.

How are the gta and crysis graphics even comparable?

Mirror's edge is a great game visually , i had a blast playing it too.

Crysis is the only game out right now that will push your rig (depending on your monitors native resolution), so thats the best test, purely because of it's technology and graphical impressiveness. The game isn't half bad either, I wouldn't call it generic.

Grid is a fairly impressive looking recent racing game, DiRT is another very impressive looking racing game but more off road which for me is a lot more fun, great with a force feedback steering wheel which you can pick up for cheap now a days.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is a really good game to take your system for a test run, install a lot of the high res texture pack mods and put the game on max settings, then take a look through the games settings files (.ini files) and set some custom draw distances for objects and grass and alike.

Most modern titles are multiplatform with consoles so the graphics are actually pretty mediocre, things like COD5, Gears of War, brothers in arms hells highway, all look OK but nothing spectacular to be honest. The best bet at the moment is to blow all your money on an awesome 30" and play everything at 2560x1600, it puts the consoles 720p to utter shame

Just get crysis. Why anyone suggests warhead is beyond me. Its basically crysis with a shitload of textures dumbed down and dont look as good as the original. Oh and its much shorter too...

Just installed Bio Shock (stil working on it) yes the first one

And of course I still play World at Warcraft but now I have everything Max out :)

When did Bio Shock 2 come out? They don't have it in stock on go-gamer or amazon Can anyone help me find it cause I'm dying to play it.

Back