Windows 10 users: Get ready to be bugged about creating a Microsoft Account

Proxmox does it in their paid channel, not the free one.
They paywall many of the more advanced features like that.

But if your board can’t split the lanes get an m.2 based GPU just for the OS.
Ah, I didn't know they did it only in the paid for version. Thanks for the info.

Yeah. The whole situation is absolutely asinine and the only company at fault here is Google. It's not Apple's responsibility to fix this cluster that Google created. Maybe Apple adopting the base RCS standard will actually finally force one, unified standard. Time will tell.
They are adopting it to get the EU off their ass, but Apple and the GSMA with EU oversight are working to build a new open standard to replace RCS. The EU investigation into RCS and Apple showed them that the issue was far more complex than just Apple not wanting to support it, so they realize it’s a lost cause and it needs to go.

Ah, I didn't know they did it only in the paid for version. Thanks for the info.
It might actually be free now, I get conflicting info when I search for it, I know somebody who runs it for their primary host I’ll shoot him an email and get back to you on that.

He got back to me, it's no longer a paid feature.

Last edited:
They are adopting it to get the EU off their ass, but Apple and the GSMA with EU oversight are working to build a new open standard to replace RCS. The EU investigation into RCS and Apple showed them that the issue was far more complex than just Apple not wanting to support it, so they realize it’s a lost cause and it needs to go.
Makes sense. It's not Apple's fault there's 800 different standards with Google in the middle of it ... f'ing it all up with their nonsense.

Makes sense. It's not Apple's fault there's 800 different standards with Google in the middle of it ... f'ing it all up with their nonsense.
I remember when RCS was first introduced a long time ago, and I was talking to companies about it. They couldn't articulate all that well what it was, why we needed it, and how it would be widely adopted. It took ages even to get to the point where it was being used as a semi-consistent messaging service. Better to either develop a truly universal secure RCS or to adopt an entirely new standard.

I remember when RCS was first introduced a long time ago, and I was talking to companies about it. They couldn't articulate all that well what it was, why we needed it, and how it would be widely adopted. It took ages even to get to the point where it was being used as a semi-consistent messaging service. Better to either develop a truly universal secure RCS or to adopt an entirely new standard.
Companies were talking about it because the GSMA introduced it to them as the future of text-based marketing, and how it was going to revolutionize their ability to interface with customers and better drive spending via smart marketing campaigns.
One of their many releases on the subject.
https://www.gsma.com/futurenetworks/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/RCS-Whitepaper-Infobip_Feb20.pdf

What are you talking about? Virtually every single finance professional in every single business in the world is an advanced Excel user and has entire workflows based around MS-specific functionality.

I know about how engineers optimize the output of a chemical plant using massive Excel spreadsheets,.
Likewise, believe it or not there are many engineering departments that can't run without Windows. We design embedded hardware and a lot of our tools like Altium won't run in Linux. My engineers prefer Linux by far, but they are constantly dual-booting since a lot of the tools we use won't function properly in VMs.

See above.
Anyone thinking Linux is a complete business solution is delusional or just under-educated about how businesses actually work.
^^^^

On the positive side however, at least in recent Professional installs it appears you can uninstall Edge, Cortana and Co-pilot from the add/remove programs settings.

Well, Edge must have been a mistake or something, because just like that, it is no longer uninstallable :/

I would strongly prefer it if that bloated piece of shit were nowhere near my machine...

Irrelevant in the corporate market. Since everyone uses MS Office, it is a DE FACTO standard. And no one gives two hoots about Office being the least compatible, because there is no need for ISO-compatible software w/r/t Office.

It's the defacto standard because Microsoft literally hijacked and deliberately broke the ISO standard. The irony is that Microsoft have to keep breaking their own woefully documented 'standard' to limit competition - To the point whereby compatibility issues exist between differing versions of Microsoft Office itself.

In terms of any form of standard, Microsoft Office is a mess stuck together with Band Aids in an ongoing attempt to stifle competition.

Well, Edge must have been a mistake or something, because just like that, it is no longer uninstallable :/

I would strongly prefer it if that bloated piece of shit were nowhere near my machine...

It's the OS WebView provider and it's used everywhere

I'm pretty sure even the Start menu even uses it on W11.

What've you got against a mostly-better-than-Chrome Chrome?

Many things.

Microsoft telemetry/spyware is probably foremost.

Secondly I hate how it tries to integrate with Microsoft cloud.

But I also hate that they are trying to turn it into an "everything" program.

I just want a browser. I don't want it to tie into my email automatically. Or offer me an AI language model. Or offer me deals on shit.

It's too goddamn bloated.

I hate all the damn side bars and menu bars it comes with out of the box. Sure you can turn most of them off, but some will still remain whether you want them or not.

It's just a busy, messy, bloated, unholy mess, that is also spying on you for Microsoft, and integrating into Microsofts unwanted cloud.

There really are no good browsers left. True FOSS browsers are no longer poasi le what with DRM being a requirement of HTML5. Aand they all spy on you one way or another. Chrome vs Edge is six of one, half dozen of the other. Choose who you want to be harvesting all of your data.

Brave is a total scam.

Firefox is a little bit better, but only after you spend a significant amount.of time in both the GUI settings and "about:config" disabling a shit ton of stuff.

So that is the only browser I use these days. Even on my phone.

There are no good choices anymore, so that leaves me with choosing the least bad one.

It's the OS WebView provider and it's used everywhere

I'm pretty sure even the Start menu even uses it on W11.

Yet, they briefly earlier this year allowed you to remove it in Win 11 Pro, and idoing so had no negative side effects, which means that's just an excuse to force you to have it on your machine.

Why would I want "OS Web view" anyway? Quit trying to combine the local with the remote. My computer should be a local machine and a localachine only, that only temporarily accesses the network or the Internet, but only when I expressly tell it to.

Many things.

Microsoft telemetry/spyware is probably foremost.

Secondly I hate how it tries to integrate with Microsoft cloud.

But I also hate that they are trying to turn it into an "everything" program.

I just want a browser. I don't want it to tie into my email automatically. Or offer me an AI language model. Or offer me deals on shit.

It's too goddamn bloated.

I hate all the damn side bars and menu bars it comes with out of the box. Sure you can turn most of them off, but some will still remain whether you want them or not.

It's just a busy, messy, bloated, unholy mess, that is also spying on you for Microsoft, and integrating into Microsofts unwanted cloud.

There really are no good browsers left. True FOSS browsers are no longer poasi le what with DRM being a requirement of HTML5. Aand they all spy on you one way or another. Chrome vs Edge is six of one, half dozen of the other. Choose who you want to be harvesting all of your data.

Brave is a total scam.

Firefox is a little bit better, but only after you spend a significant amount.of time in both the GUI settings and "about:config" disabling a shit ton of stuff.

So that is the only browser I use these days. Even on my phone.

There are no good choices anymore, so that leaves me with choosing the least bad one.
I have to say that Edge is starting to move into annoyance territory with how many things Microsoft is integrating into it, and I'm with you that I just want a browser. I started Edge for the first time in year a week or two back and nearly threw up. Normally I'd just say turn all that stuff off, but there is a point at which that just becomes too tedious even from a power user perspective when you need to do most of it in the console instead of the options interface.

I have to say that Edge is starting to move into annoyance territory with how many things Microsoft is integrating into it
Yeah, I'll grant I'm sick of nudging "suggestions", and the nagging "sign into an MSA" red dot they added a while ago, but I'd still rather use it than Chrome.

Aside: why does nobody freak out about Google constantly asking you to switch to Chrome when you go to their search page or Youtube (or "try Youtube Premium!" regularly)? I guess it's OK when it's not Micro$oft doing it.

I still use a local account and it still has not created any issues for me.

Fake outrage over a prompt inside windows settings is stupid. Why are you spending so much time within Settings anyway to the point that you get offended by this? If anything, isn't that where a prompt like this should live?

And it's always ironic that 99% of the people who complain about a Microsoft account have been carrying phones around in their pocket for 15+ years logged into their Google/Apple accounts from day #1. If you use a Chromebook or Apple laptop, you also likely jumped on the account bandwagon a LONG time ago also. So it's kind of insane to frame this as a Microsoft issue when in reality Microsoft is/was one of the last holdouts. Why hasn't everyone been complaining about accounts for the last 15+ years, when the complaining might have actually made a difference? Why is it only a catastrophe when Microsoft does it, decades after people happily allowed the behavior to become normalized?

It really seems like it's mainly just people jumping on the opportunity to pat themselves on the back about Linux. 4% market share, the year of the Linux Desktop is finally here! (Let's pretend that all Distros are the same so we don't spoil the party). Using Linux because you don't want to use a Microsoft account is like only using a landline because you hate cellphones. Congratulations, but no one cares, and society is more than happy to move on without you.
I switch to Linux because of Windows 8.0! I really didn't like the direction they seemed to be heading with that release so I started using Linux as my main OS. It was, actually, quite easy for me since the majority of the programs I use are available on both OSes. I do keep a Windows VM around for games (that won't work under Linux) and the occasional photo editing session (I really dislike Gimp!). Over all, Linux has been much easier to maintain and update than Windows 10 and 11.

Yeah, I'll grant I'm sick of nudging "suggestions", and the nagging "sign into an MSA" red dot they added a while ago, but I'd still rather use it than Chrome.

Aside: why does nobody freak out about Google constantly asking you to switch to Chrome when you go to their search page or Youtube (or "try Youtube Premium!" regularly)? I guess it's OK when it's not Micro$oft doing it.

I would but thankfully uBlock manages to catch most of the annoyances and nags. As does Youtube Revanced on android. I have 0 patience to nagging, ads and such, even subtle ones.

Also regarding the OP story here (and maybe this has been mentioned before, I don't feel like re-reading the entire thread)

I recently found I can disable the MS Account nag (at least in Windows 11 Pro, not sure about non-pro, or Win11, but I haven't seen the account nag in any of my 10 machines yet) in settings under:

Personalization -> Start -> "Show account related notifications occasionally in Start".

Toggle that to off, and the little orange circle and exclamation point disappears. At least it did for me.

Also regarding the OP story here (and maybe this has been mentioned before, I don't feel like re-reading the entire thread)

I recently found I can disable the MS Account nag (at least in Windows 11 Pro, not sure about non-pro, or Win11, but I haven't seen the account nag in any of my 10 machines yet) in settings under:

Personalization -> Start -> "Show account related notifications occasionally in Start".

Toggle that to off, and the little orange circle and exclamation point disappears. At least it did for me.
I have an 8th-gen i7 machine running Windows 10 and I just got a full-screen nag a couple of days ago that was more or less a combined "upgrade to W11, and also switch to an MS Account" thing. I just checked and I do have the setting you mention turned off.

I have an 8th-gen i7 machine running Windows 10 and I just got a full-screen nag a couple of days ago that was more or less a combined "upgrade to W11, and also switch to an MS Account" thing. I just checked and I do have the setting you mention turned off.
I just got the one this morning "we are sorry your machine cannot be upgraded to windows 11. but please continue to enjoy windows 10 for another year" something like that.

When I came back from lunch and turned my monitor back on, I initially thought MS had hijacked the computer to forcibly install 11 because of the full screen splash screen with the Win 11 bar. Turned out to just be an unwindowed full screen ad with a semi-hidden remind later to dismiss clickable button like some piece of popup malware from 15 years ago.

I am still on a local account and always will be.

No need for a online account on windows. Unless you need those features. I don't.

I just got the one this morning "we are sorry your machine cannot be upgraded to windows 11. but please continue to enjoy windows 10 for another year" something like that.
That's probably not the exact one I got, because Windows Update is shilling for W11, but it was similar.

Back