HDD to SSD wireless signal tanked

Tazman2

Supreme [H]ardness
So here is a good one. Used Samsung Magician to go to a EVO 860 drive and my signal went down to 66% from 92%. Thinking I'm losing it I switch the boot up drives back and sure enough back to 92% on the HDD. Found a post with google about if its near the card blah blah it can cause issues. Thing is this drive has been in there for a bit over a week just idling before I made the jump. Ideas!?

EDIT: This is under Windows 7 x64.

Last edited:
Reorient the system, make sure the antenna has a clear shot to the AP without going through the case.

This sounds very odd though - both components would attenuate signals going through them considerably (and I'd think the HDD would moreso), and neither should radiate any significant interference. Are you certain in both cases the exact same driver and settings are used? Some modulate signal strength lower if they feel they can, or if there are power savings modes set differently.

Okay pure horrible coincidence. Internet went out a few minutes later and the signal dropped again but on the HDD install so I said ehh let me reboot to SSD again and now its as expected. Doh! Happy Wednesday!

Back