GPU Folding & Windows 7 beta

SmokeRngs

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008
Well, I have installed the 64 bit Windows 7 beta 7000 to see what all the hubbub is about. Just for reference, it's installed on the rig in the sig. After the installation I installed the newest 181.20 Vista64 nVidia drivers for my 8800GT. After a bit more mucking around with the OS and a couple of reboots I got around to firing up the console GPU client. It has been running for more than 24 hours and I haven't had a single hiccup yet that I know of regarding the GPU client.

As for PPD, I couldn't tell you as I haven't run FahMon or anything like that in months because I only have the one client running and I'm too damn lazy. However, I doubt there will be much in the way of difference for PPD.

I'm currently crunching on a 5759 work unit and the CPU usage seems to be around 1% most of the time, occasionally hitting 2% and spiking up to 3% every once in a great while. I just switched over from Vista64 but I haven't looked at CPU usage for the GPU client on there in months so I'm not sure if the CPU usage is actually much different or not. I thought it used to use up to 5% but I know those were the test work units and they seemed to have the most CPU usage.

Anyway, my point is the console GPU client seems to work just fine in Win7 64bit in case anyone was wondering.

Good to know your nVidia card works.

I am going to try my ATI card here in a few days ....

I have the ISO but no key .... working on that now ...!

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1116187#

Follow the directions regarding how to get the key there. I had tried directions a couple other people gave but it didn't seem to work. Following those directions exactly worked for me and I was able to get my key. I had the ISO before the key and just installed and bypassed putting the key in during the install and started on the 30 day trial. After I got my key I just entered it in.

One thing about the directions there. The link it gives you is for the 64 bit key but there may also be the link for the 32 bit version if that's what you want. Also, make sure when you click on the link to get the key that it does not redirect you to another page. If you're lucky, it will give you a key when you first go to the webpage. If you are not redirected and you do not get a key you will see the following screen:
win7keyerrorscreencw3.png

This is what you want to see if you want to use the directions given in that forum post. I got that, setup a few tabs in Firefox to do the refresh thing and within 5-10 minutes I got my key.

Thanks a bunch Smoke :D
I was really curious about which version I should attempt to DL. (either 32 bit or 64 bit) I was kinda' partial to the 64 bit version, mainly because of the higher RAM addressing. Now, thanks to your "heads up" I'll go back and try DLing the 64 bit version. (in my area it's been kind of a "hit or miss" proposition all day since 12 PST)
From what I understand if you had no hardware problems in VISTA you wouldn't have any hardware problems in Win 7. The only prob with that is I've never used any shape or form of VISTA, I've stuck with my WinXP (either 32 bit or 64 bit) So, I'm thinking as long as your hardware isn't "stone age" you should be OK :confused: (I'm havin' flashbacks on all the trouble I had when WinXP64 first hit the bricks :()
I really hope this OS (Win 7) is the true successor to WinXP. Ole' windoze XP is getting "long in the tooth". I mean, sheech, how many times can you extend EOL :rolleyes:

Folding and WCGing for a CURE

I haven't had any trouble with any of my hardware so far. I was also going with the assumption that as long as the hardware worked fine in Vista, it should work fine in Win7. Outside of the bundled drivers, there are probably few actual Win7 drivers out there, but it seems most Vista drivers work under Win7 for the moment as the ones I needed worked and many other people report the same thing. For my onboard audio, I couldn't use the HDAudio Realtek package as the bundled software for it does not work although the audio did work with the bundled drivers. I actually went to Realtek's site to get the newest drivers from there but the software still doesn't work. However, all the options in the software are available to be changed just through the regular Windows sound controls in Control Panel.

However, this isn't exactly the proper forum for this as my post doesn't actually have much to do with folding. That said, I hope to hear more experiences regarding folding and Win7 beta.

yeah i got it downloaded from microsoft eventually but was never able to get the key.. eventually gave up and just downloaded a patch that de-activated the trial timer and watermark

but ive only used it in VM so far..

Downloaded the x64 ISO, remain for me to get that friggin key. I just downloaded Firefox and C4C just for that purpose with 9 tabs refreshing. I'm crossing the fingers I get a key today before I wipe a folding box to install Windows 7 for my testing purpose.

Got 5 different keys now :D

Kept 1 for me and 4 keys were given to people who wanted one. No more keys available...

I respectfully disagree brother Smokerngs :mad: I think posting the results in the "distributed computing" section of using a new operating system for any type of DCing is very, very inportant. ;) If you go along with the "moronic" belief that not knowing whether a new operating system is going to allow you to continue to use your present hardware to continue to DC (especially us 24/7 folders) , without upgrades, without driver switches, without different hardware requirements (more RAM, HD space, different CPU) or who knows what else and this info is without merrit or relevancy to DCing then why all the posts concerning Linux vs windose, the VMWare thing, SMP, certain RAM, the different types of VGA cards (8800GT vs 9800GT, GTX vs GTX+, ATI vs nVIDIA, Intel C2D, both quad and duo, AMD's CPU's, the shader counts, the new GSO's, etc). All that info was in the wrong section also (I don't freakin' think so) :eek:

Personally I appreciate any information from a reliable source concerning the fight against diseases and that, to me, includes the hardware and software I'm going to use. If it's not agreed with by some I don't really give a shite :p. Thanks to all the unselfish and folding knowledgeable people on the mighty [H[orde for any "heads up" about hardware or software improvements for DCing :)

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

Thanks for the link, Smoke! Got a key on the first try. Any my torrent of the 64-bit version finished overnight, so time to fire this up!

Good news to hear. I'm currently switching my fileserver over to Win 7 for some program testing on my end, and that has been running [H]Boxen2, so I'll report back my findings when I finish that up later tonight.

I got a key as well. The download went quicker than I expected.

Now I just have to backup the data that is scattered in all 4 corners of my hard drive before I install it. :(

THanks for the link Smoke.

Just got home, threw on GPU2 on the 9600, threw on RivaTuner to get my OCs back....PPD looks to be exactly the same as under Vista, so all seems to be going well here.

anyone that wants a key for windows 7 32bit & 64bit
and no i wont get introuble for this because microsoft only used 4 32bit keys and 5 64bit keys.. and yes ive checked this my self.. by getting different product keys and they all come out to the same ones.. hence the whole 2.5 million copy fiasco was BS.. since they used the same keys..

You may use the following product key to activate your evaluation copy of Windows 7 Beta 32-bit.
Product key: GG4MQ-MGK72-HVXFW-KHCRF-KW6KY
Product key: QXV7B-K78W2-QGPR6-9FWH9-KGMM7
Product key: 6JKV2-QPB8H-RQ893-FW7TM-PBJ73
You may use the following product key to activate your evaluation copy of Windows 7 Beta 64-bit.
Product key: D9RHV-JG8XC-C77H2-3YF6D-RYRJ9
Product key: JYDV8-H8VXG-74RPT-6BJPB-X42V4
Product key: 7XRCQ-RPY28-YY9P8-R6HD8-84GH3
Product key: RFFTV-J6K7W-MHBQJ-XYMMJ-Q8DCH
Product key: 482XP-6J9WR-4JXT3-VBPP6-FQF4M

but if you want me to ill remove this but i doubt microsoft can complain since this was their mistake to begin with by not allowing unique windows 7 beta keys..

and no i wont get introuble for this because microsoft only used 4 32bit keys and 5 64bit keys.. and yes ive checked this my self.. by getting different product keys and they all come out to the same ones.. hence the whole 2.5 million copy fiasco was BS.. since they used the same keys..

You may use the following product key to activate your evaluation copy of Windows 7 Beta 32-bit.
Product key: QXV7B-K78W2-QGPR6-9FWH9-KGMM7
Product key: 6JKV2-QPB8H-RQ893-FW7TM-PBJ73
You may use the following product key to activate your evaluation copy of Windows 7 Beta 64-bit.
Product key: D9RHV-JG8XC-C77H2-3YF6D-RYRJ9
Product key: JYDV8-H8VXG-74RPT-6BJPB-X42V4
Product key: 7XRCQ-RPY28-YY9P8-R6HD8-84GH3
Product key: RFFTV-J6K7W-MHBQJ-XYMMJ-Q8DCH
Product key: 482XP-6J9WR-4JXT3-VBPP6-FQF4M

but if you want me to ill remove this but i doubt microsoft can complain since this was their mistake to begin with by not allowing unique windows 7 beta keys..

They've apparently removed the 2.5 million download limit, but regardless, that will get you Win 7 Beta.

Actually, there are more keys than just the ones you posted. The key I got is not on that list. More than likely, the keys they are giving out now are similar to VLK keys. For people who got keys yesterday or early this morning, they are probably unique keys or at least close to it. For the most part, it doesn't really matter since all the keys work which is what really matters.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that EVGA Precision is working just fine for me. No trouble with overclocking or using it to display the GPU temp in the system tray.

Welp, thanks to the "heads up" from brother SmokeRngs I have DLed and installed Win 7 64 bit OS, FAHmon v2.3.4, eVGA Precision, RealTemp, the 180 something VISTA 64 bit vga driver, the GPU2 client and the WCG client. (I only gots 2 GB's of RAM, I needs more RAM :eek:)

I'm about to get my beauty sleep (I been doin' it for about 60 years and it ain't helped a bit :() and let the Win 7, Q6600 boxen crunch away with GPU2 and WCG till it either fudges up or I wake up and it's still strokin' (I've only been folding and WCGing about 2x hours so far :confused:) :rolleyes: I think what it all boils down to, if your hardware wasn't off the Mayflower and you get DC type programs that worked under VISTA you should be just copa freakin' cetic. ;)

Oh yeah, thanks brother sirmonkey1985 :p I used one of your posted numbers and got activated in no time So far I really like this M$ OS Yeah, I know, I just might be suffering from the "new GUI syndrome" ,hell ,how old is XP :confused:) I'll like it even better if it don't cost a "zillion" $'s when it's released for good. :D

Folding and WCGing for a CURE

Actually, there are more keys than just the ones you posted. The key I got is not on that list. More than likely, the keys they are giving out now are similar to VLK keys. For people who got keys yesterday or early this morning, they are probably unique keys or at least close to it. For the most part, it doesn't really matter since all the keys work which is what really matters.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that EVGA Precision is working just fine for me. No trouble with overclocking or using it to display the GPU temp in the system tray.

interesting.. because when my friend showed me that.. i decided to go a little overboard and get a crap load of keys a bunch from the morning and a bunch in the afternoon and they all matched 1 of the keys in the last.. oh well they all work and theres no limit on how many times the keys used.. so enjoy..

Back