Cheap/Reliable PSU?

buildornot

Weaksauce
Just looking for a cheap but reliable PSU to handle virtualization, light gaming, and web browsing.
Need it to support:

9800gtx+
lga775 mobo
lower end intel core 2 q8xxx cpu (don't know which one)
2 sticks of 2gb ram
1 hdd
1 dvd drive

What is your budget?

edit
After looking up the power consumption of a 9800 GTX+, it's below 200W! You'll be fine with something like the Corsair CX430 430W PSU.

What is your budget?

edit
After looking up the power consumption of a 9800 GTX+, it's below 200W! You'll be fine with something like the Corsair CX430 430W PSU.

+1 on this. Quality and affordable.

Don't skimp on power.

What is your budget?

edit

+1 on this. Quality and affordable.

Don't skimp on power.

Is this the model you're referring to?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat..._re=Homepage-_-Zone1_4-_-CatId_106_C13-CX430M

I noticed I have a Corsair CX400 in another build I have. If I could use this to support the 9800gtx+, that would be great since I would prefer not to shell out more cash unless I have to.

That build is running a microatx mobo, 2x2gb ram, and a midrange intel core 2 duo cpu, and if the CX400 can handle it, I'd like to throw in the 9800gtx+ in there.

Yes that PSU.

That CX400 will get the job done as well.

Yes that PSU.

That CX400 will get the job done as well.

Sorry to rehash this, but I was just looking at newegg's description for the 9800gtx+ I have, and it says the minimum psu requirement is 450w.

Should I just ignore their specs? I wanted to check since I put more weight into people's words here than those on newegg.

Last edited:
That power requirement also has to include the many shitty PSUs available to the consumers thus they inflate the power requirements.

As you can see on the benchmark done by HardOCP, the 9800GTX+ draws 195W under load. Therefore a 400W PSU that's capable of delivering at least 210W on the 12v rail will suffice, which both PSUs are capable of.

That power requirement also has to include the many shitty PSUs available to the consumers thus they inflate the power requirements.

As you can see on the benchmark done by HardOCP, the 9800GTX+ draws 195W under load. Therefore a 400W PSU that's capable of delivering at least 210W on the 12v rail will suffice, which both PSUs are capable of.

Ok thanks again!

The CX-400 has been discontinued for sometime now. The Channel Well CX-430 is a solid PSU for the money. I bought mine last month for $19.99 AR with free shipping from NG for a low-end WINXP build & works like a champ! Not the best PSU, but when you can get it for short money like I did, it's a no brainer. If not, consider the EVGA 430 watt PSU with a 3-year warranty here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438015

The CX-400 has been discontinued for sometime now. The Channel Well CX-430 is a solid PSU for the money. I bought mine last month for $19.99 AR with free shipping from NG for a low-end WINXP build & works like a champ! Not the best PSU, but when you can get it for short money like I did, it's a no brainer. If not, consider the EVGA 430 watt PSU with a 3-year warranty here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438015

Thanks for the heads up!
Only reason I wanted to check if the cx400 would work is because I actually have it in one of my builds already, so if it can support the 9800gtx+, I'd be a very happy person.:)

Cheap and reliable is an oxymoron. Cheap PSU's usually have inferior components, thus why they are cheap.
Clean power is the most important aspect of your rig.

Cheap and reliable is an oxymoron. Cheap PSU's usually have inferior components, thus why they are cheap.

In this instance the OP means affordable.

Right now the CX500 is cheaper AR at Newegg.

It's still going to cost more out of pocket and MIRs are not guaranteed.

In this instance the OP means affordable.

Noted, sadly the best are usually not affordable depending on your budget unless you catch them on a sale.

Not long ago the Seasonic 660XP was on sale for around $80, a steal if you can afford it.

With PC&P gone now for the meantime the only real players are Seasonic and Corsair but Antec does make decent models that are reasonable.

I've seen the Neo ones on sale for a good price.

I just meant what would be the lowest price psu that's actually good to use. I will pay as much as I need to to get clean power in my system because I learned from kind folks like you here that psu's are the most important part of the rig, so I was just trying to find what would be the cheapest of the quality ones. Thanks for the helpful tip though!

Last edited:
Sparky: You have been around long enough to know that Diablotek PSU's aren't worth recommending! Yes...It's 750 watt PSU & it's modular, but you can spend a little more & get a Seasonic-built from XFX, Corsair etc. Your link isn't worthy IMHO.

He asked for cheap and I provided a link.

$59 isn't "shitty PSU" territory, you can get a quality unit for that price.
That Diablotek unit might be shitty, though.

Back