Alan Wake 2

this is looking better the closer it gets to release...plus it's going to have path tracing as well...Remedy was one of the first developers to support RT with Control...now they're pushing the envelope again with AW2

this is looking better the closer it gets to release...plus it's going to have path tracing as well...Remedy was one of the first developers to support RT with Control...now they're pushing the envelope again with AW2
That’s right - Control was the first game I experienced ray tracing on. I thought the reflections were super cool. Now it’s more about ray-traced global illumination, though it’s not usually worth the cost.

NVIDIA Is Giving Away a Custom Alan Wake II RTX 4090

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/1694380813763453206

AW.png

Yeah, I completely understand not clicking with the mood of a game. I'm not into souls games, and a buddy of mine can't see why I loved Control...

I don't give a shit what store/launcher a game is on...

creative director Sam Lake delved into some of the inspirations for Alan Wake 2...obviously, Stephen King and David Lynch remain foundational to the series, but each of the game’s two halves are inspired by different things....the Saga Anderson part of the game is influenced by serial killer flicks like Silence of the Lambs, but also “folk horror” like Hereditary, Midsommar, and The Witch...meanwhile, Alan Wake’s half of the story is inspired by urban thrillers like Seven, and even non-horror movies like Taxi Driver and Inception

Alan Wake 2: Alan Meets Alex Casey Gameplay Clip (4K RTX)

The video takes place in The Dark Place – a nightmare New York he’s trapped in - Alan finds a familiar face lurking in one of its many shadowy alleyways...this jacket-wearing, paisley tie-sporting detective is no other than Alex Casey, the hero from Wake’s successful crime book series...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lx46eVqdmk

Alan Wake 2: Alan Meets Alex Casey Gameplay Clip (4K RTX)

The video takes place in The Dark Place – a nightmare New York he’s trapped in - Alan finds a familiar face lurking in one of its many shadowy alleyways...this jacket-wearing, paisley tie-sporting detective is no other than Alex Casey, the hero from Wake’s successful crime book series...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lx46eVqdmk

Wow… those Alan Wake vibes.

@ 36 seconds, you can see that DLSS still messes up rain effects. Just like it did in Death Stranding, a couple of years ago.

Yeah they get blended in with the lighting and become hard to see in the distance. Suppose they can work on things like that for the next major version.

It'll come to Steam eventually, they always do

The way you controlled the flashlight in 1 didn't work for me, felt like old school tank controls IIRC - ruins the flow of 3rd person games IMO keep it for the older games - looks like they fixed that in this one? (looked how you use a flashlight in every other 3rd person game to me)

Gamer's Nexus should absolutely use Alan Wake 2 for bench marking as it looks to be a great technological showcase.

It'll come to Steam eventually, they always do

The way you controlled the flashlight in 1 didn't work for me, felt like old school tank controls IIRC - ruins the flow of 3rd person games IMO keep it for the older games - looks like they fixed that in this one? (looked how you use a flashlight in every other 3rd person game to me)
It will likely never come to Steam as this was a deal with Epic that was not just a timed exclusive. Alan Wake Remastered is an Epic store only game too.

Gamer's Nexus should absolutely use Alan Wake 2 for bench marking as it looks to be a great technological showcase.
Or just having a giant over 1/3 of your audience saying they do in a poll... it could be vastly overrated and non-representative, that really a lot of people.

It will likely never come to Steam as this was a deal with Epic that was not just a timed exclusive. Alan Wake Remastered is an Epic store only game too.

Maybe, but I've also heard this song before plenty of times (X store exclusive, never ever coming to Steam)

Maybe, but I've also heard this song before plenty of times (X store exclusive, never ever coming to Steam)

Epic Games is publishing this. This is probably as likely to appear on Steam as Counter Strike 2 on EGS. Maybe Epic's publishing doesn't explicitly require the game to only ever be on EGS, but I assume it does.

Alan Wake 2: Creating The Dual Protagonist Experience
It takes some guts for IGN to claim Alan Wake 2 created the dual protagonist experience, I guess Heavy Rain and Detroit Become Human didn't exist in their universe. Also: "You can switch between Saga and Alan as you wish" then "You can only swap perspectives at specific points" So which is it IGN?

And whoever wrote the line "Coffee world: The most caffeinated place on earth" should be fired on the spot. Makes me think this game will be saddled with current day writing, which is a shame as the first one was alright.

Epic Games is publishing this. This is probably as likely to appear on Steam as Counter Strike 2 on EGS. Maybe Epic's publishing doesn't explicitly require the game to only ever be on EGS, but I assume it does.
Well, in that case they can keep it. I wasn't too excited for it anyway.

Well Remedy is basically EGS so I don't expect them to budge really don't they own Remedy in a way?
I never really got around to playing Alan Wake but remeber the game on G4TV with Adam Sessler and they were walking around
in the game and this voice kept saying Die Die Die no really a kid friendly game.

Well Remedy is basically EGS so I don't expect them to budge really don't they own Remedy in a way?
I never really got around to playing Alan Wake but remeber the game on G4TV with Adam Sessler and they were walking around
in the game and this voice kept saying Die Die Die no really a kid friendly game.
Remedy is an independent developer who accepted a publishing deal with Epic Games for 3 games: Alan Wake Remastered, Alan Wake 2, unnamed Alan Wake sequel.

Microsoft published the first AW games on Xbox 360, then Remedy self-published them on Steam. Then there was Quantum Break on the Microsoft Store that eventually came to Steam. I'm going to wait and see on this one.

It takes some guts for IGN to claim Alan Wake 2 created the dual protagonist experience, I guess Heavy Rain and Detroit Become Human didn't exist in their universe.

I can think of games that are around 20 years old that allowed that. I'm sure there were some from the 90s. They must have some oddball definition of "dual protagonist".

Well, in that case they can keep it. I wasn't too excited for it anyway.

Were you the person who said it is okay if publishers/developers lock their own games to their own stores? :ROFLMAO:

Remedy is an independent developer who accepted a publishing deal with Epic Games for 3 games: Alan Wake Remastered, Alan Wake 2, unnamed Alan Wake sequel.

Suppose we'll see if this is successful enough for another sequel.

Were you the person who said it is okay if publishers/developers lock their own games to their own stores?
Nice try, but Remedy is not the owner of EGS, and I never said it is OK to lock your games to your own store. It is OK to lock your games to your own launcher. HUGE difference. In fact it is my pet peeve when a product is store exclusive, because it directly hurts competition and allows the price to be set arbitrarily.

I'm against under the table deals between publisher and independent developer that are to the detriment of the consumer on principle. And Remedy has a long history of doing just that. Actually the first time they did something like this was with Alan Wake 1. I have a long memory and I'll never forget or forgive what they did. Demoing Alan Wake on Quad Core PC with amazing real time physics based weather effects, only then to take a deal from MS, to considerably dumb down the game, removing all open world elements and the real time weather they were so proud of before, and make it an XBOX exclusive. Later claiming that the changes were creative decisions. So they are not just willing to throw millions of PC gamers under the bus, but their own creative and technological vision as well for a wad of cash. Some say: "Yeah, but this is how they keep their independent status." But this is not independence, this is being the bitch of everyone who flashes some cash at them.

Last edited:
and I never said it is OK to lock your games to your own store.

Alan Wake 2 on another store. I don't know of any games that are exclusively sold just on EGS, unless it is some small indie game you can find it on other stores.

In fact it is my pet peeve when a product is store exclusive, because it directly hurts competition and allows the price to be set arbitrarily. But this is not independence, this is being the bitch of everyone who flashes some cash at them.

Well you can rest easy, because Alan Wake 2 isn't locked to one store just like practically every other game sold there.

As for Alan Wake open world, I think the last thing I would have been interested in was Alan Wake: Assassin's Creed. I recall those earlier demos but a tech demo and marketing points don't matter much, and I am glad they killed the open world concept.

Last edited:
Alan Wake 2 on another store. I don't know of any games that are exclusively sold just on EGS, unless it is some small indie game you can find it on other stores.
Not anymore, but that wasn't always the case. When they started their dealings it was full exclusivity, games wouldn't even appear elsewhere. And that's when I decided to completely boycott EGS. And I'm not going to reverse that decision. And that includes boycotting 3rd party purchases of EGS exclusive games. IDK if you know this but when you buy a steam key outside of steam valve doesn't get a cut. But epic does get a cut of 3rd party key sales, because according to what I heard they are charging devs for 3rd party keys.
Well you can rest easy, because Alan Wake 2 isn't locked to one store just like practically every other game sold there.
Oh I'll enjoy watching them loose money, and might or might not pick up the game for half price when the exclusivity ends.

Last edited:
Not anymore, but that wasn't always the case. When they started their dealings it was full exclusivity, games wouldn't even appear elsewhere.

They appeared within a week or so for Metro Exodus, the first major EGS exclusive. While it was still a pre-order months before the game came out. I don't think there was some conspiracy to prevent it from being sold on other stores but rather it took a bit of time to set up a system to distribute the keys to the various stores.

And that's when I decided to completely boycott EGS. And I'm not going to reverse that decision.

Might want to double check Valve, because if I recall they put their pre-orders up on their own store for Half Life 2 before you could pre-order it on any other store. Would be ironic if you ended up deleting your Steam account if Valve sold exclusively for a period of time. :p

They appeared within a week or so for Metro Exodus, the first major EGS exclusive. While it was still a pre-order months before the game came out. I don't think there was some conspiracy to prevent it from being sold on other stores but rather it took a bit of time to set up a system to distribute the keys to the various stores.
Metro Exodus appeared elsewhere because it was not decided to be an EGS exclusive until very late in the pre-order campagin. Those who pre-ordered before the announcement could still activate the game on steam when it released. But those who didn't preorder soon enough were stuck on EGS as all distributed steam keys that were not sold yet were converted to EGS keys. Later exclusive games did not appear on 3rd party stores for a long period after that.

They also made a big kerfuffle about lowering the price of Metro Exodus to $50 to show how "good" they were, while for EU customers they hiked the price to €70 silently. Yeah, I bet they'd like people to forget that. But as I've said I have a long memory. I always hated Steam's $1 = €1 policy, imagine my shock when I've seen that EGS literally debuted their store with $1 = €1.4? So no, there is literally nothing Tim Sweeney can come up with that would redeem them in my eyes, they lost at least one customer for life.

Might want to double check Valve, because if I recall they put their pre-orders up on their own store for Half Life 2 before you could pre-order it on any other store. Would be ironic if you ended up deleting your Steam account if Valve sold exclusively for a period of time. :p
You are grasping at straws here. First off that's such an outlier since the online launcher market hasn't even been established back then, there were no other stores to speak of online. You couldn't just buy a cd-key and activate games. You had the option to buy the game retail and that's it, pre-ordering it on steam was a new option, not taking away anything. Second Valve is actually a publisher / developer in one. So locking the game to their own launcher is a non-issue. I would not blame Epic for not putting Unreal 3 on steam. Just as I didn't care about Ubisoft and EA not releasing first party titles on Steam.

I don't really care what store the game is in, but I'll probably avoid buying this game right away just because I have so many other games to play right now. I can't recall having so many (good) games all hitting at once. I figure that'll give Alan Wake 2 time to get some patches and come down in price.

Back