Which card for PhysX with the GTX 680

Relativist

Limp Gawd
Would a 560 Ti be fast enough, and if not, what would be fast enough? Also, if a 560 Ti is fast enough, where is the line, 550 Ti, GTX 460? I'm thinking anything above 1 GFLOPs would have a shot.

How about with SLI 680s, would a 560 Ti still be fast enough?

You dont need a Physx card. If you play the 2 games that support it (sarcasm) and beat them already without physx, well you just saved yourself some money.

It's worthless to get a Physx card. It is just added power/heat

If you go with SLI 680s I don't think you need a dedicated Physx card.

If you go with a single 680, a GTX 460 1GB will be plenty

To the OP: test your FPS on the games first in SLI, and then with one dedicated to physx (its a button in the nv control panel). See which maximizes performance. If you're playing a game that really does use a lot of physx (like metro 2033), a 560ti will be a definite boost.

You dont need a Physx card. If you play the 2 games that support it (sarcasm) and beat them already without physx, well you just saved yourself some money.

It's worthless to get a Physx card. It is just added power/heat

Have you ever used a physx card before? I've never seen one of my cards dedicated to physx ever break 48 degrees (8800gtx, or 480), physx set to full in metro 2033, mirrors edge, or whatever. And it does add a nice boost to frames, more to the tune that it prevents frame drops when the physx kicks in.

And despite what the chorus of non phys-x users say about it being a gimmick, it does add a lot of extra visual candy to a game. Metro 2033 with physx on is a completely different game visually with physx maxed out. And I do believe that maximizing performance of a rig in order to maximize visuals is a part of being [h]. ;)

Ok so if u dont play metro 2033 u dont need a pyshics card :))) no other game out there needs this,it was a promotion scam from nvidia :))

Game makers are going away from Physx and using other stuff like Havok or whatever these engines are called. They are universal in that they are supported by a range of cards not just nvidia.

I'm using a GTX570 dedicated for PhysX. The extra eyecandy runs smooth like butter. But honestly, a 500 series card is overkill as a dedicated card.

physx card? dont need... failed concept that was neat when the technology wasnt as advanced as it is today and physx is dead

I thought the 680 had massive gains on physx performance.

Probably the opposite actually, considering that CUDA performance has gone down in this generation. They focused the design on intentionally increasing graphics performance, and intentionally disabling many features that help general purpose computing (to which PhysX is very similar) so that people don't buy a GTX680 when Nvidia want's them to buy the much more expensive Tesla line.

Ok so if u dont play metro 2033 u dont need a pyshics card :))) no other game out there needs this,it was a promotion scam from nvidia :))

Well, I had a GTX460 768Mb laying around, so I popped it in when I upgraded to my GTX680, and set it to dedicated PhysX duty.

When I ran Metro 2033, I only saw 2-3% load on the GTX460 at any time.

It was suggested in another thread that Metro 2033 does all it's PhysX on the CPU, and this might be why.

To the OP

What are your frame rates in the games you play with PhysX enabled? If they drop down below 30fps then and only then might you want to consider adding a card for PhysX, AND THEN only if it bothers you. Power and heat are not that big of a deal with the new cards 4xx series and up that you would consider for a dedicated PhysX option. The 680 is also a drop in power and heat compared to its predecessor so it will probably be a wash when you pair them.

I would wait and see what the new games coming out are like before taking the plunge. The biggest thing to note is that most games from now on are going to be console ports so they may not be that taxing on your 680.

Hope this helps.

Playing Metro 2033 my GTX460 768MB as a dedicated PhysX card only saw 2-3% load.

Per this thread, a GT430 in a similar configuration only saw 15% load.

Per this thread, there is only very little difference between a GTX460 and a GT430 as a dedicated PhysX card when coupled with a 6970.

PhysX doesn't appear to be as demanding as many people think...

Back