tx750w time for upgrade

p05ta1

Limp Gawd
1.corsair rm850e might be a nice upgrade.
2. tuf gaming asus 850 liking but cables all loose.

My old TX is over 10 years old now so thinking of swapping out before issues start.
B550 board, 2 nvmes, rtx4070 ryzen 7

not sure about quality but that price of about 120$ seems good.
opinions?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wouldn't buy either. The Corsair is an HEC and the Asus is a Great Wall. Neither manufacturer has a good reputation for quality.

Pay a little more, consider the RMx (CWT), a Seasonic Focus or Prime, Superflower Leadex, EVGA G3 (Superflower).

I just picked up an MSI MPG A850G for $110 + tax. The way to get that is by asking Best Buy to pricematch to Microcenter. It is based on one of the higher end CWT platforms so it should be good.

I went with the rm1000e, getting is 2 weeks. I seen the 1000 is on the A tier list.

i install it today this morning!
The old one was way passed due, clean on outside but inside was caked with gunk from 2009 on wires.

Update: New rm1000e is working as good.
System seems very responsive with plenty of power. SSD and graphics are much smoother and no glitches.
Only thing that was issue was my amazon basic battery back up lost power with this power supply. It was a cheaper low end one just to allow pc to run till home generator kicks in .
time for a better one .

review update: 3 month in and new PS has no issues !
system is still running great with 24/7 uptime.

That's as far as I can see, fat overkill, for your configuration, a better quality power supply of 550w is enough, and to be sure, you could have taken one of 600w or 650w, and it doesn't even have to be from the tier a list, but from the tier b list,and tier c also passes.

I just look at this list and some things are quite unclear, why should enermax max 2 pro power supplies be bypassed(tier e,to avoid), for what reason is this power supply not good? Gives 456w on 12V rail.For rtx 3060ti and similar gpu cards (which have tdp 200w) enough.
https://www.enermax.com/en/products/maxpro-ii-500w

List:
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/
The tier list is not based on wattage, it's based on output quality. Tier E have terrible ripple and voltage control and can damage your equipment.

You really shouldn't be giving advice like an expert when you don't even understand the basics of power supply quality.

The tier list is not based on wattage, it's based on output quality. Tier E have terrible ripple and voltage control and can damage your equipment.

You really shouldn't be giving advice like an expert when you don't even understand the basics of power supply quality.
I'm not an expert, but enermax is a well-known company, I have their excellent fans that have been working for 10 years and none of them have failed.
Then why does enermax produce these power supplies if they damage the equipment?

I just see that there is no logic, inside the enermax is Japanese equipment. Main Japanese electrolytic capacitors.

I'm not an expert, but enermax is a well-known company, I have their excellent fans that have been working for 10 years and none of them have failed.
Then why does enermax produce these power supplies if they damage the equipment?

I just see that there is no logic, inside the enermax is Japanese equipment. Main Japanese electrolytic capacitors.
In the majority of cases, the brand you see on the outside of a PSU is not the same company that designed and built the PSU. Enermax may have made some design requests (like using their own fans inside or certain desired specs to meet a price point), but they don't actually make PSUs. The results can sometimes lead to otherwise reliable brands selling really shitty products (like the Gigabyte 850GM exploder special) that should be avoided next to quality units that are worthwhile. FSP, Seasonic and Superflower are rare examples of companies that make and sell their own, but also make them for others to sell under their own brands. EVGA sells PSUs made by a host of manufacturers, some of them can be questionable, while others are only cosmetically different from the OEM's own top of the line offerings.

Lastly, just because a company sells/makes a good product in one segment, like the Enermax fans, doesn't mean that everything else they sell must be golden. Or that because they used (allegedly) high quality components, it must be good inside. You can buy a great steak, but if you can't cook, it won't really matter. Japan is not a company, it's a country. On the average, I'd rather have capacitors made in a Japanese factory over a Chinese one, but it doesn't guarantee quality.

Unclean power damage, especially to processors and GPUs, occur over time. That's why people can run on crap power supplies and never realise their hardware is failing prematurely because of it. Also, the less the system is loaded, the slower the damage accumulates. Early signs of unclean power include not being able to overclock as high.

Fans are incredibly simple and have one of two failure methods- brushes wearing out or bearings failing. Electronics are incredibly complex and can't be compared in any way. Expertise in one area does not always translate to another.

I already told you what the logic is- ripple control and voltage regulation. There's also others like transient spikes but those are the two big ones. Go use those terms to educate yourself on what makes a good PSU good.

Unclean power damage, especially to processors and GPUs, occur over time. That's why people can run on crap power supplies and never realise their hardware is failing prematurely because of it. Also, the less the system is loaded, the slower the damage accumulates. Early signs of unclean power include not being able to overclock as high.

Fans are incredibly simple and have one of two failure methods- brushes wearing out or bearings failing. Electronics are incredibly complex and can't be compared in any way. Expertise in one area does not always translate to another.

I already told you what the logic is- ripple control and voltage regulation. There's also others like transient spikes but those are the two big ones. Go use those terms to educate yourself on what makes a good PSU good.
Now don't exaggerate, I've had all kinds of power supplies, from the worst to super flower, corsair tx 650w, which I now have again.
Now, the only one that stopped working for me was some xilence, but it didn't cause anything, it just suddenly stopped working and that's it.

I accidentally came across this topic, so a few days ago I ordered and bought a new power supply. It should arrive next week.I mean, it was paid, but I don't have any confirmation yet. I took a power supply from the Tier C list.Tier A and B are all obscenely expensive.
If it comes, when I install it, I'll take a picture and report my impressions.
This corsair tx650w is already very old. The new power supply should be better, better voltage regulation, new protection, etc.
I guess something has been improved regarding the power supply compared to the old corsair tx 650w.

Let's say today, xilence also has top power supplies, like their Performance X Series.

Last edited:
Now don't exaggerate, I've had all kinds of power supplies, from the worst to super flower, corsair tx 650w, which I now have again.
Now, the only one that stopped working for me was some xilence, but it didn't cause anything, it just suddenly stopped working and that's it.

I accidentally came across this topic, so a few days ago I ordered and bought a new power supply. It should arrive next week.I mean, it was paid, but I don't have any confirmation yet. I took a power supply from the Tier C list.Tier A and B are all obscenely expensive.
This corsair tx650w is already very old. The new power supply should be better, better voltage regulation, new protection, etc.
I guess something has been improved regarding the power supply compared to the old corsair tx 650w.

Let's say today, xilence also has top power supplies, like their Performance X Series.
It is your choice to sacrifice output quality for some savings. However, don't give people incorrect and misleading information while portraying yourself as an expert.

As for obscenely expensive, there are plenty of A tier 850 watt PSUs in the $100-150 range. I would not consider that obscenely expensive unless your rig was less than $500 to start with. In which case, you are running either low power components which won't be affected that much by poor output quality or very old hardware which does not have much of a useful lifespan remaining.

It is your choice to sacrifice output quality for some savings. However, don't give people incorrect and misleading information while portraying yourself as an expert.

As for obscenely expensive, there are plenty of A tier 850 watt PSUs in the $100-150 range. I would not consider that obscenely expensive unless your rig was less than $500 to start with. In which case, you are running either low power components which won't be affected that much by poor output quality or very old hardware which does not have much of a useful lifespan remaining.
I ordered msi mag a650bn for rtx 4070 super and OC ryzen 5600x.
What this guy above bought a 1kwh power supply for rtx 4070 vulgaris is an absolute exaggeration.
MSI MPG A850G costs 153 euros and more with me.

What this guy above bought a 1kwh power supply for rtx 4070 vulgaris is an absolute exaggeration.
And just like it's your prerogative to skimp on PSU quality, it's his prerogative to go overkill. No one in this thread made bad suggestions on what to get except you.

And just like it's your prerogative to skimp on PSU quality, it's his prerogative to go overkill. No one in this thread made bad suggestions on what to get except you.
Well, let him buy what he wants, I'm just saying that if he won't have an rtx 4090 or 5090, then it doesn't really make sense.
Not that I hold anything against him.I didn't read everything, I guess his PC works 24/7 all the time, so he wants everything to be 100% uninterrupted and reliable.

Last edited:
Some people just think they know more. I had a 750watt for this rig but over 10 years it was getting old and i could see small issues cropping up.
So others go for cheap fixes to get PC up and running where I prefer to make sure i future proof what i build and go for quality.
I have had many people at my work say that other one fixed my pc but now it is working worse than before can you look at it.
I look and see no name ps , knock off rams sticks, cheap case fans etc.
It is sad people just want to save a buck to in the end pay more to have fixed better later.
Live and learn, but some will never.

Well, let him buy what he wants, I'm just saying that if he won't have an rtx 4090 or 5090, then it doesn't really make sense.
Not that I hold anything against him.I didn't read everything, I guess his PC works 24/7 all the time, so he wants everything to be 100% uninterrupted and reliable.
No one is disputing power needs. Our collective issue with you is your ludicrous claim that there is no discernible difference between PSUs of different tiers.

What? You couldn't find the courage to put one of your coveted Enermax units in your own rig? Shame.

No one is disputing power needs. Our collective issue with you is your ludicrous claim that there is no discernible difference between PSUs of different tiers.
Yes, I didn't say that anywhere, except that 1000w is overkill for rtx 4070 unless there is (are not) power supplies from the tier a segment of 600w and 650w.
My first choice was enermax max 2 pro of 600w or 700w, but unfortunately they are not available and everything from tier a and b is very expensive and I don't need that because I don't have high end components.

I guess load spikes are not a issue for some. With the 750watt and running 4 hards drives, 2 ssd nvme, 2 blueray burners, i would rather be over that under. I am more than happy that at idle with a 1000watt ps i also get zero fan if under a watt used and it also future proofs me for system upgrades.
hint: anyone see the new Ryzen am5 video , new 800 mother boards to go with the AMD Ryzen 9 9950X. (drool).....

I guess load spikes are not a issue for some. With the 750watt and running 4 hards drives, 2 ssd nvme, 2 blueray burners, i would rather be over that under. I am more than happy that at idle with a 1000watt ps i also get zero fan if under a watt used and it also future proofs me for system upgrades.
hint: anyone see the new Ryzen am5 video , new 800 mother boards to go with the AMD Ryzen 9 9950X. (drool).....
Good for you, have you maybe measured how much power your PC without a monitor draws from the wall, I would say no more than 400w.
As for enermax, I think they only make power supplies for the EU market.

Good for you, have you maybe measured how much power your PC without a monitor draws from the wall, I would say no more than 400w.
As for enermax, I think they only make power supplies for the EU market.
Seriously, start your own thread. Trolling this thread is getting you nowhere. OP is happy with his purchase and he clearly doesn't care what you think about his PSU, what you bought or why.

And no. You have a really bad habit of spreading FUD. Enermax is based in Taiwan with subsidiaries in Germany, France, USA, Japan and China...straight off their web page. It took me 5 seconds to find that.

Yes, I didn't say that anywhere, except that 1000w is overkill for rtx 4070 unless there is (are not) power supplies from the tier a segment of 600w and 650w.
My first choice was enermax max 2 pro of 600w or 700w, but unfortunately they are not available and everything from tier a and b is very expensive and I don't need that because I don't have high end components.

You basically said so right there. A new low tier PSU is not better than an old high tier PSU. PSUs are not like CPUs and GPUs where process nodes guarantee improvements. There has been no breakthrough in standard capacitor material that created a leap in performance. The last significant improvement in PSU design has been the adoption of DC-DC conversion for the minor rails, which allows full rated power on the 12v rail and improves efficiency. You will notice that I left out output quality in that. Everything else since then has been incremental, i.e. ATX 3.0/PCI-E 5.0, and that's just changing PSU capabilities to meet new PC requirements, NOT guaranteeing output quality.

As for A tier PSUs in the 650 watt range, there are plenty of them. A quick look on Amazon Germany show the Corsair RM650, Thermaltake GF A3 650w, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650w, and be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 650w as options at/under $100 euros.

Seriously, start your own thread. Trolling this thread is getting you nowhere. OP is happy with his purchase and he clearly doesn't care what you think about his PSU, what you bought or why.

And no. You have a really bad habit of spreading FUD. Enermax is based in Taiwan with subsidiaries in Germany, France, USA, Japan and China...straight off their web page. It took me 5 seconds to find that.
Defuse. This forum is quite virtuous.
"The Enermax MAXPRO II series is one of Enermax’s long runner power supplies. Developed specifically for the European market, MAXPRO II is characterized by low noise and efficient operation. With 87% peak efficiency (80 PLUS® 230V EU certified) and a standby consumption of less than 0.5 watts, the power supply meets the European Union eco-design directive 2013 ErP Lot 6 and 2014 ErP Lot 3 and the European Union regulation no. 617/2013.
The 120 mm high-pressure fan with the patented Twister Bearing ensures quiet and efficient cooling. The SafeGuard multiple safety system protects the power supply and system from damage. The MAXPRO II power supplies are true long runners and are designed for 24-hour continuous operation at an ambient temperature of 40°C."

But that doesn't matter anyway, because you wouldn't buy Enermax anyway.
I have never bought through the German Amazon, I do not know the cost of sending and how they calculate VAT, since it is higher than in Germany.And the problem is if you need to advertise..But no matter, they are good and those from Low Tier C.

Defuse. This forum is quite virtuous.
"The Enermax MAXPRO II series is one of Enermax’s long runner power supplies. Developed specifically for the European market, MAXPRO II is characterized by low noise and efficient operation. With 87% peak efficiency (80 PLUS® 230V EU certified) and a standby consumption of less than 0.5 watts, the power supply meets the European Union eco-design directive 2013 ErP Lot 6 and 2014 ErP Lot 3 and the European Union regulation no. 617/2013.
The 120 mm high-pressure fan with the patented Twister Bearing ensures quiet and efficient cooling. The SafeGuard multiple safety system protects the power supply and system from damage. The MAXPRO II power supplies are true long runners and are designed for 24-hour continuous operation at an ambient temperature of 40°C."

But that doesn't matter anyway, because you wouldn't buy Enermax anyway.
I have never bought through the German Amazon, I do not know the cost of sending and how they calculate VAT, since it is higher than in Germany.And the problem is if you need to advertise..But no matter, they are good and those from Low Tier C.
Alright, thanks for confirming you are a hard headed fool that believes you know better than the experts and aren't worth communicating with. And that you're gullible enough to blindly believe fancy marketing.

Alright, thanks for confirming you are a hard headed fool that believes you know better than the experts and aren't worth communicating with. And that you're gullible enough to blindly believe fancy marketing.
Defuse. New power supply coming to me today. I think I will dig up the old corsair and blow it out, would it be possible to change the fan, do you have any advice?
p05ta1 the main thing is that you are happy, I just wanted to say that your power supply works at 35% (in the worst case at 40%), when you put rtx 4090 or rx 7900XTX then you will see the real behavior and whether it works well or not.

My old corsair 750 was 10 years on. When i pulled it the inside was covered with dust. But I would never use that in another build. Even with fan swap I would be worried with capacitors going bad and destroying the new build.

My old corsair 750 was 10 years on. When i pulled it the inside was covered with dust. But I would never use that in another build. Even with fan swap I would be worried with capacitors going bad and destroying the new build.
And what are you going to do with him now? Are you going to throw it away?
I plan to maybe clean it if there is dust inside and maybe change the fan, the only thing I noticed was that the fan rotates more slowly sometimes, like some fans in the case. But I never heard the power supply buzzing or anything like that.

I installed the power supply, the first impression is that it is much lighter than the corsair tx 650w. I know that if the power supply is as heavy as possible, the quality is better.
The heavier the better. But ok, it doesn't matter. On the invoice it says that there is a 5-year warranty, and on the sticker from the importer it says that it is 10 years.
As for the old one, I haven't opened it yet, but as far as I can see, there are some bare wires, you can see dust, some spilled conditioners or spilled around them, but I'm not sure. And on this new one there is something spilled inside.
When I open it, I will put pictures there for you to see.Also, the advantage of msi is that it is even smaller in terms of dimensions than corsair tx 650w and there are not too many cables, they are quite easy to hide
https://imgbox.com/shqLMg6r
https://imgbox.com/0gKZW79N
https://imgbox.com/Pdm5Pcl9
https://imgbox.com/56Fe3AC6
https://imgbox.com/wgJ68Z4X
https://imgbox.com/1fmWbw1K

shqLMg6r_t.jpg 0gKZW79N_t.jpg Pdm5Pcl9_t.jpg 56Fe3AC6_t.jpg wgJ68Z4X_t.jpg 1fmWbw1K_t.jpg

MSI MPG A850G PCIE 5 & ATX 3.0 Gaming Power Supply - Full Modular - 80 Plus Gold Certified 850W - 100% Japanese 105°C Capacitors - Compact Size - ATX PSU​

i was looking into those one too msi does good on models.

MSI MPG A850G PCIE 5 & ATX 3.0 Gaming Power Supply - Full Modular - 80 Plus Gold Certified 850W - 100% Japanese 105°C Capacitors - Compact Size - ATX PSU​

i was looking into those one too msi does good on models.
The MSI MPG and MEG lines are good. The MAG line aren't quite as good, especially the bronze models. The single review that I found has the 550 model outputting 30 mV of ripple at max load. By comparison, the MPG 1000w outputs 10 mV of ripple at 500 watts and 22 mV of ripple at 1000 watts (less is better). The MAG 850 PCIE5 has 13 mV ripple at about 500 watts and 28 mV at 850 watts. That said, all numbers are well within the 120 mV ripple spec. Ripple is naturally harder to suppress as power goes up.

Another thing to also note is that ripple performance is directly tied to capacitor performance. As capacitors age and degrade, ripple gets worse over time. HardOCP's 7 year old PSU review (now sadly only available in the wayback machine) has ripple going out of spec at 750 watts on a 1000 watt PSU. A unit that starts at a lower ripple value has more room to degrade than one that starts at a higher value, thus having a longer lifespan.

The MSI MPG and MEG lines are good. The MAG line aren't quite as good, especially the bronze models. The single review that I found has the 550 model outputting 30 mV of ripple at max load. By comparison, the MPG 1000w outputs 10 mV of ripple at 500 watts and 22 mV of ripple at 1000 watts (less is better). The MAG 850 PCIE5 has 13 mV ripple at about 500 watts and 28 mV at 850 watts. That said, all numbers are well within the 120 mV ripple spec. Ripple is naturally harder to suppress as power goes up.

Another thing to also note is that ripple performance is directly tied to capacitor performance. As capacitors age and degrade, ripple gets worse over time. HardOCP's 7 year old PSU review (now sadly only available in the wayback machine) has ripple going out of spec at 750 watts on a 1000 watt PSU. A unit that starts at a lower ripple value has more room to degrade than one that starts at a higher value, thus having a longer lifespan.
There is a Brazilian on youtube who reviewed the msi mag650bn, over 3 hours of footage was recorded, he seems very smart, he even wrote something on the board...
He also has some equipment on which he tested the power supply, the same as mine.

View: https://www.youtube.com/live/H-lBLEtI48A?si=xNzN1TEj5LEJaOGl

View: https://www.youtube.com/live/lIPDReCPOZQ?si=8j4pfJbQanvdLnCk

There is a Brazilian on youtube who reviewed the msi mag650bn, over 3 hours of footage was recorded, he seems very smart, he even wrote something on the board...
He also has some equipment on which he tested the power supply, the same as mine.

View: https://www.youtube.com/live/H-lBLEtI48A?si=xNzN1TEj5LEJaOGl

View: https://www.youtube.com/live/lIPDReCPOZQ?si=8j4pfJbQanvdLnCk

So what if he recorded 3 hours of footage? All of the important information can be compiled into graphs and charts which can be looked over in less than 5 minutes. I pulled the MAG 550 results from a Vietnamese review site that had the information in universally understandable charts. I'm not about to sit through a 3.5 hour video in a different language to try to find relevant information. Even JonnyGuru's rambling PSU test articles were never more than a 15 minute read, and were actually entertaining.

Stop trying to appear smart. You're not. Stop trying to justify your budget options as superior. They're not. Any more dumb responses from you and I'm blocking you, you're not worth my time.

Back