Tools to flash and recover BIOS on ASUS P8xxx boards (FD44Editor, FTK)

I'll give this a try.

I don't want it to touch ME, so to confirm I need to use this only (no poweroff needed).

2. Flashing BIOS region only. Command: biosrefl

add: ok I'm going to hold-off using this simply based on the fact that the ASUS changes to previous BIOS was only picked up few days ago, who knows what changes has been made to 19xx.

Last edited:
You are not getting the message
The reflash cmd gets you a whole new bios from scratch, fixing any previous crappola
I have just flashed a few mobo (V pro and deluxe) this morning with reflash and 1908
The bios is basically same as 1805, with some added USB controls. Like 1805 you should set CPU VCore in manual mode to 1.290 for 44/45 multi and DIGI LLC to default High or Med
This bios updates the ME OPROM so if you use an ASUS flasher, it will require a wait for the dual boot
Once you change multi to 44/45 and hit ENTER then Intel turbo automatically goes away
Like 1805 using auto CPU and + VCore gets the voltage too high

Dont forget to reset Intel SATA to RAID if needed before attempting post..
You can use the poweroff cmd to reset PC after successful flash, but I prefer to shut it down while powering off from the command, turning PSU rocker to off and unplug PSU

This is not rocket science. CodeRush has made a beautiful flasher idiot proof and super simple - never fails

This method is mainly for people who have problems. It then evolved to a program that can also be used to flash BIOS even when there's no problems. Either way, it's great that it exists.

Now that said, I don't have problems and I don't want it to touch ME so all I want it to do is delete and write the BIOS.

This is the method I've used:
- Update the OROM/EFI files in the stock BIOS file
- Rename it to Z77VB.CAP
- Turn off computer and plug in the USB, press the button on the mobo. Wait.

Todate this has been fool-proof for me.

I'll run this program using the biosrefl command. If it overwrites ME it's easy enough to update.

EDIT: ok I ran this program and it (or something as I don't see this error code in the file) gives an error.

error 280: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space.

The same error comes up when I try and run restore.bat as suggested. I'm typing this from another computer for now sitting and wondering as I'm guessing if I reboot, the computer is bricked. I'm assuming my only choice now is to use reflash command and see what happens.

EDIT2: So reflash kicks the same error, no luck. Rebooted and it started ok, I see nothing changed so either it worked even though there's the error and it simply stops, it actually didn't do anything or the restore worked even though it spits the error (pick one, your guess is as good as mine). All this was done in DOS using version 0.9.6.1 and with the BIOS in default.

Last edited:
I have no idea what you are talking about - renaming and using the flashback button and biosrefl or restore cmd
You make the USB bootable stick with the tools and rename the bios to bios.bin and put it on the stick and you put the USB stick in a normal USB 2.0 slot, no buttons/no .cap. You boot to the USB stick as NON UEFI mode and Windows Milennium comes up and you type reflash, then reboot.
done

I guess you didnt read the last page whereas ASUS changed the locked areas

Last edited:
Let's take a step back with your explanations.

In my original post I said I saw the changes ASUS made and these were only discovered few days back - this alone implies I read the last page. Due to this, I was not going to use this.

However, you then stated you've ran it this morning against various boards and they had worked - you state to use "reflash and poweroff" commands where-as coderush states to use "biosrefl and see if it works".

Neither of those work for me on a Z77-V board.

Happy for you to show a flaw in my process here? I already said I used DOS mode meaning it was not in EFI.

**Sigh**

First of all there is both DOS and UEFI MODE for FAT32 USB sticks
You have to go to boot page/boot overrides and pick the NON UEFI USB callout or it wont run
Then you see the Win Millenium DOS O/S callout
Did you?
You received the error so it must have run, right?
Maybe ASUS flashback itself no longer works with new bios config and screws things up?

H4uMURd.jpg

lUMPEWc.jpg

Notice the flasher automatically makes a backup before starting
80c8M16.jpg

Pr3jiIm.jpg

I have used CR's tool a hundred times with never an issue
I wouldnt even think about running an ASUS flasher.
There is now a SLIC issue, but that doesnt apply to folks here.
I assume HF folks are not modding Dell's.

Last edited:
bios 1908 is out today
1708 and 1805 suck
download 1908, unzip and rename it to bios.bin - place Intel FTK 0961 on your bootable USB stick per Tut here, then add bios.bin
use reflash and poweroff cmds
simple and easy

http://support.asus.com/Download.as...V-PRO-ASUS-1908.zip#P8Z77-V-PRO-ASUS-1908.zip

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...id=1&model=P8Z77-V+PRO&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

There are 6 pages of info here, there should be no reason to ask any of those questions

Thanks mate

Guys, stop, you all are right!

error-id10t, this new protection in 19xx BIOS file prevents you from using biosrefl and reflash commands. On Z77 reflash is checking for protection before erasing anything, so nothing can be damaged. On X79, hovever, it erases descriptor and ME and then fails, rendering the board unbootable and even restore can't restore it, only manual descrefl and merefl right after the fail. Other FTK commands work fine, so you can still use FTK for ME/GbE reflashing.

Injen, your new 19xx BIOS will be with this protection too, so if you will have the same problems - use merefl instead of reflash, all other steps are the same as cisco_guy described.

cisco_guy, thanks to ASUS the are issues now, and they began with 19xx series. SLIC issues are corrected in 0.9.6 and they are no more.
The only way to use reflash on Z77 and X79 boards now is to flash 18xx/34xx or earlier BIOS with USB BIOS Flashback and then use reflash for flashing any BIOS version you need.

@CodeRush

Regarding your UEFI Patch Utility here, what does it exactly do? What is the 0xE2 register? Is it applicable for ASUS Z68 boards?

@ CR

Four questions:
>How does using flasback first break the new protection?
>Does it break it permanently, so we dont have to worry about it with future bios when using reflash?
>Will you be able to mod FTK so that it would be possible to use reflash in the future without flashback?
>Does Gigabyte have this also? I am getting fed up with this shit

FWIW one of the mobo I upgraded from 1805 to 1908 using reflash cmd had 1805 flashed with EZ Flash 2 in bios (from 1616), and it worked perfect like the others. So I really dont get this.

How does using flasback first break the new protection?
It's simple. This "protection" has software nature and present only in new 19xx BIOSes, so if we downgrade BIOS to 18xx or earlier - protection is gone. USB BIOS Flashback or hardware SPI programmer can be used for this downgrade, but UBF is easier to perform.
Does it break it permanently, so we dont have to worry about it with future bios when using reflash?
I don't know. ASUS can implement some routine that will transfer this protection to old BIOSes even if UBF is used, even it's not easy. But right after the implementation I can figure out the source of protection by simply comparing old BIOS image to this new "old" BIOS image.
Right now, yes, you can get rid of new protection by flashing old 18xx BIOS back.
Will you be able to mod FTK so that it would be possible to use reflash in the future without flashback?
I hope, but I don't have access to ASUS Z77 or X79 board for testing, and it can take months to figure out the source of protection without trial and error, so my hope is little. But in 3 months there will be new Haswell board with new BIOSes that I'm planning to buy, and there will be no UBF and this new protection, so I will probably return to it's cracking after new boards launch.
Does Gigabyte have this also? I am getting fed up with this shit.
Not right now, but they have SPI chips soldered on the board, so if they introduce any type of protection, it will be even harder to get rid of it. I'm already fed up with this shit, but I see things will get even worse on new platforms. Jailbreak for PC is coming...

About 1805 - you are right. It had no freaking protection, so you have updated to 1908 with reflash, as usual. But now you can't update neither BIOS nor all regions with biosrefl or reflash, because of locked BIOS region. Try biosrefl ot the same 1908 and see what happens: nothing, just an error.

kevindd992002, MSR 0xE2 is a power management register, that is used by Mac OS X CPU driver to change CPU multiplier and state on the fly. Windows and Linux use UEFI EIST driver, so they don't need a write access to this register. This register is locked for writing by BIOS on startup (this is done by Intel reference code and no vendor except Gigabyte has balls to modify it), so OS X goes to kernel panic (like BSOD on Windows) on startup. My patch disables the locking code, so 0xE2 will remain writable after boot and OS X can be booted without this panic. It has no influence to Windows, very little influence to Linux (there are some usermode powermanagement programms that can utilize access to 0xE2 register), so if you don't use Hackintosh - this patch is not for you. It's applicable for all UEFI BIOSes, including ASUS.

kevindd992002, MSR 0xE2 is a power management register, that is used by Mac OS X CPU driver to change CPU multiplier and state on the fly. Windows and Linux use UEFI EIST driver, so they don't need a write access to this register. This register is locked for writing by BIOS on startup (this is done by Intel reference code and no vendor except Gigabyte has balls to modify it), so OS X goes to kernel panic (like BSOD on Windows) on startup. My patch disables the locking code, so 0xE2 will remain writable after boot and OS X can be booted without this panic. It has no influence to Windows, very little influence to Linux (there are some usermode powermanagement programms that can utilize access to 0xE2 register), so if you don't use Hackintosh - this patch is not for you. It's applicable for all UEFI BIOSes, including ASUS.

Great, thanks for the answer.

@ CR

Ah, I see. 1908 is when the prob starts - lol
Got it! Thanx for answering all.

Just noticed my offline programmer has a new software update.
It fully erases then programs.
http://www.sofi-tech.com/en/down_view.asp?id=12
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SP8-Univers...=220955679622&ps=63&clkid=7188126263779892523
So if there is a bios past 1908, I will try it out on that first.
Should be interesting.
I would just buy you a low end Z77 LX which is ~$124, but like you say, Haswell is out in June, and I think 1908 is last bios for Z77 anyway. Plus whatever you learn about Haswell bios protection would prob be useable for Z77

Thnx again.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
@Injen

As far as your post about CPU speeds going every which way:

First of all Intel Turbo is for newb's
If you are gonna build your own, might as well overclock.
Turbo is on die programmed core control
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...turbo-boost/intel-turbo-boost-technology.html
Why not just run all the cores at 44X or 45X (or more) under load and 1600 idling?

The new bios dont seem to work well under CPU Vcore with "Auto" option (too high)
So set VCore to manual and make the voltage 1.285 - which is fine for 44X 45X.
e3xcFir.jpg

Then get rid of Turbo. Go to CPU Power Management on AIT page and type in 44, then hit ENTER, number should turn black, and turbo should black out instantly.
3FNrc2S.jpg

Now back on AIT main page, turbo is gone and all 4 cores are at 44.
P78OQGk.jpg

Then go to Power management config on Advanced page/CPU Config and set your speed states.
rmlKg5G.jpg

Go to DIGI Power and set CPU LLC at high
0xjKdg0.jpg

Speed stepping is done in Windows I set it at 2%/100%. (2% doesnt mean anything specific)
SznjZJj.jpg

cu7ISmV.jpg

x6tfEEo.jpg

Injen, your stick is C:. Just enter commands and they will work.

Don't know where my previous post went... Might even been post in on another forum since it's not here :p

I gave both reflash and merefl a try but both of them gave me same answer
http://imageshack.us/a/img202/3254/img20130413180301.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img199/8701/img20130413180346.jpg

@Injen

As far as your post about CPU speeds going every which way:

First of all Intel Turbo is for newb's
If you are gonna build your own, might as well overclock.
Turbo is on die programmed core control
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...turbo-boost/intel-turbo-boost-technology.html
Why not just run all the cores at 44X or 45X (or more) under load and 1600 idling?

The new bios dont seem to work well under CPU Vcore with "Auto" option (too high)
So set VCore to manual and make the voltage 1.285 - which is fine for 44X 45X

Thanks. Have not even flashed in the new bios yet.
Yes, i know that Turbo boost is for newb's, but as i said before. I only run with stock cooler untill i recieve my new one. And 4000MHz gave to high temps. But then i did not set manual Vcore. I have to give it a try.

EDIT: This is what i got after 5 sec with Prime 95 @ 1.285 v http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/9402/namnlsjs.jpg
Seems a bit high to me?

Last edited:
Wow those temps are insane!!!
I'm surprised the CPU didnt throttle, cool off.
I would wait for new heatsink, wouldnt even flash when things are that hot
You gonna hurt that CPU with 1.285 and manual (fixed) VCore and stock cooler. Turn turbo back on, auto VCore.

Heres my temps at 47X and 1.352 CPU V
MI7Fn8X.jpg

Last edited:
Injen, your new 19xx BIOS will be with this protection too, so if you will have the same problems - use merefl instead of reflash, all other steps are the same as cisco_guy described.[/U]

Thanks. I started with reflash and that did work properly.
Thanks for the info. Running with 1908 atm and it seems more stable then 1805 :)

Wow those temps are insane!!!
I'm surprised the CPU didnt throttle, cool off.
I would wait for new heatsink, wouldnt even flash when things are that hot
You gonna hurt that CPU with 1.285 and manual (fixed) VCore and stock cooler. Turn turbo back on, auto VCore.]

Yes i know :) My overclocked I7-930 @ 4200MHz never reached those temps, but i've done some reading and it some claims that 3770 are able to run at higher temps. Don't know if it's true though.

Found this guide/fix on YT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXs0I5kuoX4&feature=plcp

Someone who has tried something like it? I think i'll give it a try when my new cooler arrives.
I mean, 40 degrees in a half hour is a quick fix.

Hi guys,

I have an ASUS P8Z77-V LX. I was trying to flash a modded bios that had a new Intel OROM module inserted in it. I got the modded bios file from over at Overclocking.net. The bios file failed security validation so I couldnt flash it using normal means and my motherboard does not have USB Bios Flashback feature (I guess its a low end mobo). So, I used the ftk.exe method laid out on the first page, except I didnt read all the directions thoroughly (I know my bad). I took the modded bios file and renamed it backup.bin then I ran the restore.bat. This completely bricked the chip!! Maybe I should have just renamed it biosbck.bin, that way it wouldn't have done a full flash, only a bios flash. However, now my computer won't turn on or anything. When you try and power it up, all that happens is the CPU fan and case fan come on for a second, then go off, come on for a second and go off, repeat to infinity.

One thing I noticed is the bios binary file is 8,194KB (even files downloaded directly from ASUS are 8,194KB) yet the chip capacity is only 8,192KB. So, I think the flashing concatenated the binary file and flashed it. Apparently this is not good!!

So, my first question is, is there anyway to fix this? Or is my mobo bricked? Should I just buy a new bios chip from ebay?

Second question is, I have a lot of experience flashing microcontrollers like Arduino and PICs. I have an SPI programmer. Can I remove the bios chip and flash it with a stock ASUS bios file? If so, how? The chip programming software tells me that part of the data is out of memory range (8,194KB file size vs. 8,192KB chip capacity). How do I go about flashing this using an SPI programmer since there's too much binary data to fit on the chip? What address ranges would I need to ignore or delete to get it to fit?

Derek, it's simple. Use FD44Editor to prepare your BIOS file, as described in the first post. Transfer all individual data from stickers on board to BIOS file and flash the resulting 8192Kb file to the chip using your SPI programmer. If you read the first post a bit better, there will be no questions like this. I understand that this text is really bad-written and needs a rewrite, but I have no time to do that right now.

CodeRush,
Let me start by saying thank you for your hard work!

I recently bricked my z68 platform during a routine BIOS flash. The flash was needed for ivybridge CPU support.
IT Professional
Back up of original BIOS made
Flash performed using BUpdater
PC connected to UPS
**No data loss ocurred as I have a back up solution implemented

Outcome:
Successful flash reported :cool: ...

Reality:
System left in in-operable, non-recoverable state :mad:

Dreaded boot loop... with no ability to reflash conventionally....we all know the story.

Ordered a replacement BIOS chip from the Asus eStore.... AND then stumbled on this thread while I was waiting for the new chip to arrive.

FD44Editor is a god send... since I of course lost S/N, DTS Key, UUID, primary MAC.

I have a question. Tried searching first.... but didn't see an answer.

The MB has 2 on board NIC's. The replacement chip I got from Asus has a new Primary MAC 88:88:88:88:87:88 (intel)... but the Realtek NIC's original MAC was maintained.

The Realtek's MAC was on the pink sticker - SATA ports. The Intel's MAC is on the sticker on the boards power connector.

How was the Realtek's original MAC maintained?

I assume FD44Editor only has the ability to edit the Primary MAC address for a reason??

While I did consider a hot swap reflash... I ultimately decided to wait since this machine was production. Everything is back to normal minus the above, and frankly I don't care... but did decide that this would never happen to me again.

I'm ready to order a SPI programmer. If you sold them, I'd buy yours for sure.

Your contribution, work and kindness is remarkable!

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited:
Realtek MAC is normally costructed from Intel one during boot. On boards with Intel+Realtek only Intel MAC is stored in BIOS.

If my intel MAC were in tact, this would make sense.. but Asus ships their replacement chips with generic 88-88-88-88-87-88 primary MAC address. My original MAC's were nearly identical. So I'm not clear how how the Realtek is generated from the generic MAC which came on the replacement chip. It's not a big deal, I was just trying to understand how it all worked.

Thanks Again

Last edited:
When the mobo manuf buy their chipsets, Intel has already programmed random successive GBe unique MACs into the Southbridge. When you buy a bios chip from ASUS, they have no way of programming your Intel MAC because they dont have any idea what it is. I am also guessing they have no way to reprogram GBe partition info on blank bios chips even if you supplied it.

You also should be aware if your Intel GBe was local connection #1, and Realtek was #2 or not used, then when you boot to new Intel MAC your local connection wont work - wrong MAC, so you will have to set up another local connect for that generic MAC

Realtek GBe is separate chip from Intel related bios features and has its own MAC programmed into it, so it is what it is, there is no way to wipe/alter it no matter what you do with the mobo bios.

Of course thnx to CodeRush and his FD44 Editor and the flashprp cmd after you have edited your particular info into all the four various fields, you can do it yourself. It is the only program that I know of whereas the enduser can EDIT his own bios.
I have a SOFI SP1A offline programmer and also the new "B" version and have used Linux Flashrom 0.9.6.1 and AFUWINGUI, AFUDOS 4.04 and none of these can do what FD44 does.

Last edited:
cisco guy,
Thanks for the reply. I noticed all of the things you mentioned on first boot after the chip was replaced. Intel was primary, realtek second. Wasn't using the realtek. I did have to create a secondary network connection for intel primary... same name but with #2 suffix. The realtek remained unchanged.

Now that I have an extra chip, I'm going to put things back the way they were... not in a hurry to do it, but at some point I will buy a programmer and fully familiarize myself with the procedure. I agree FD44 is bad a$$.

This is a great thread and I wish I had read AND understood CodeRush's OP before I lost my datafile.

P8Z77-V LX rev 2 with E3 1230 V2 (which is on the supported list). Original bios was 1106.

Original problem - no turbo ratio. Flashed to latest bios with no announced problems using AMI flash tool and write all blocks without backing original as I thought it was corrupted. Still no turbo ratio......

Backed up new bios with FTK and examined with FD44Editor and no motherboard data values are there. DOH!!! The board boots and runs fine, but I have not done a complete powerdown and I'm not inclined to until I'm sure it's not going to brick (It's on a UPS).

Found MAC sticker no problem and I don't have a DTS sticker. The problem is my S/N sticker. It resembles the first example shown by CodeRush more that the second example in that it has five characters after the first dash, but only six characters in the first string after the o o o bit. The little box to enter the S/N in FD44Editor seems to want 15 characters total and I only have 14 after adding the Mx7 (hopefully MT7) bit.

Any ideas/help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Valky, you can add any symbol you want, it doesn't make much difference.
If will still boot even without any individual data, but problems with software products activation may appear.
I will ask people with this new boards tomake a backup and send it to me, so I can fugure out, what symbol must be placed on this free space.

Thanks for quick reply CodeRush.

Yes right now it has the latest bios and no motherboard datafile and is booting and running fine. I'll fix up the datafile and flash with FTK.

Do I have to go back to older bios rev to get turbo ratio working?

No. Just use merefl command to reflash your ME region and poweroff command to run the new version of it. After automatic power-on, go to BIOS setup and try your Turbo. It must be working now.

CodeRush

Well...before I read your post about merefl I filled in the info in FD44Editor to the point where it was happy and enabled the save option. When I tried to flash using flashprp I got "error 280 failed to disable write protection for the bios space!". This was unexpected because when I used the backup in FTK it gave no error 26.

The current bios on board shows ver 1902 and the correct ME version for that ASUS .CAP file. Also when I run backup in FTK the .bin file I get does not have the data I entered.

I tried the merefl and it seemed to complete but at an intermediate stage gave and error message about HECI.

I still can't play with my turbo multipliers because they aren't there.....

Thanks for your help. Sorry for delayed response. Let's keep thrashing this thing and get it to work the way I want it to.

Use USB BIOS Flashback to flash BIOS 18xx or earlier, then flash your prepared.bin using flashprp command.

Right you are, CG, 19xx is where the protection crap started, so back to 18xx is an option.

Apparently the P8Z77-V LX does not support USB bios flashback. It has ASUS Crash Free BIOS 3 which supposedly will read the bios off the support CD or USB via EZ Flash 2 if the bios gets corrupted. When I enter EZ Flash 2 via my working 1902 bios and try to read the bios off the CD it says "image outdated".

Is there no way to go back with FTK?

From 19xx and later - no. Only SPI programmer or hotswap on different unlocked board.

Back