Thermal Paste?

ralphie1313

Limp Gawd
Hi a quick ? is thermal paste suppose to be soft and easy to spread? Two times now i bought paste from micocenter but if u put some on your fingers its like hard and if u try to spread it it rolls up into little balls instead of spreading .... Thanks

I bought a tube of Prolimitech PK-3 years ago that balled up. In order to spread correctly needed heat. I'd wrap the tube in plastic wrap and drop it into a coffee cup of very hot water for awhile. Then work quickly to apply with a tiny spatula that came with it. The paste worked well but wasn't worth the hassle.
My personal machines use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut now. For normal stock CPUs I use Noctua or Arctic MX-4. Kryonaut, MX-4, and Noctua are easy to work with.

I bought a tube of Prolimitech PK-3 years ago that balled up. In order to spread correctly needed heat. I'd wrap the tube in plastic wrap and drop it into a coffee cup of very hot water for awhile. Then work quickly to apply with a tiny spatula that came with it. The paste worked well but wasn't worth the hassle.
My personal machines use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut now. For normal stock CPUs I use Noctua or Arctic MX-4. Kryonaut, MX-4, and Noctua are easy to work with.
Hey thanks, The 2 i bought was Grizzly Kryonaut and Noctua from micro center they probably sitting there for awhile!! I will try to heat it up if not i will buy if off amazon thanks!!

That pk3 was old/bad stock. It should've been wet and easy to spread. It's the only stuff I've used on my main rig for several years. Even after a couple of years it should stay really easy to wipe off.

Hi a quick ? is thermal paste suppose to be soft and easy to spread? Two times now i bought paste from micocenter but if u put some on your fingers its like hard and if u try to spread it it rolls up into little balls instead of spreading .... Thanks
Sounds like your MC stuff is old, dried up stuff as well. I'd buy something from Amazon or Newegg for sure (like you mentioned). You can pretty much rest assured their stock is new and freshly rotated.

That pk3 was old/bad stock. It should've been wet and easy to spread. It's the only stuff I've used on my main rig for several years. Even after a couple of years it should stay really easy to wipe off.

Sounds like your MC stuff is old, dried up stuff as well. I'd buy something from Amazon or Newegg for sure (like you mentioned). You can pretty much rest assured their stock is new and freshly rotated.
WOW they got really bad stuff mc!!

Yeah, that's really disappointing. You would think as big a retailer as they are they would have no problems turning over their stock.
It funny just now i was going through a box of parts and found a tube of tp, so i opened it, alittle squeeze and it came running right out. Now its been like a year since i looked in that box and my stuff still came running out, so how the hell did there's get so dried up!! It was 2 different brands i bought so can't say it was a bad batch, maybe the main warehouse they keep it in might be 200 degrees in there!!

Back