Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

I will be setting up my hotas this evening.
Anyone have a good modern (ie Alpha 3.22 or failing that close to it) suggested keybinding mapping and/or instructional video? I'm running into the issue that some of the 'big' prefab keymaps (ie BuZZKiller) do not support my particular joystick setup and aren't necessarily easy to adapt. Currently, I'm using HOSAS...

Right hand - VKB Gunfighter + MCG Ultimate w/ twist
Left hand - VKB Gunfighter + SCG Premium + Omnithrottle adapter

I'd also just be interested in a good generalist HOSAS bindings video where they went through various functions in order of precedence and what kind of stick component/location you want to bind them to etc. Any ideas?

Anyone have a good modern (ie Alpha 3.22 or failing that close to it) suggested keybinding mapping and/or instructional video? I'm running into the issue that some of the 'big' prefab keymaps (ie BuZZKiller) do not support my particular joystick setup and aren't necessarily easy to adapt. Currently, I'm using HOSAS...

Right hand - VKB Gunfighter + MCG Ultimate w/ twist
Left hand - VKB Gunfighter + SCG Premium + Omnithrottle adapter

I'd also just be interested in a good generalist HOSAS bindings video where they went through various functions in order of precedence and what kind of stick component/location you want to bind them to etc. Any ideas?
I just spend a night setting up my bindings, I ended the night at targeting, continuing in a bit. I just searched youtube for each type and tried top find the most recent.

I just spend a night setting up my bindings, I ended the night at targeting, continuing in a bit. I just searched youtube for each type and tried top find the most recent.
I have two gunfighters premiums. I've tried using binds from the internet. Ususally end up spending hours remapping it all anyway.

I have two gunfighters premiums. I've tried using binds from the internet. Ususally end up spending hours remapping it all anyway.
Yeah T.16000 and a VKB Gunfighter Pro with pedals, hailing and targeting it about all I have left.
IMG_1516.PNG

I have always done manual keybinds, and you can then go copy the controls save so when updates happen you can just paste them back in and be good to go.

I have a little label maker and put labels on the buttons on my far less fancy TCS Sidestick for SC as its my second stick and only used in that. They're huge flat buttons 6 on each side, its easy to do labels, and with it being my "second" stick, none of the functions on it are critical - its mostly just so I dont have to go to the keyboard as often.
For my Virpil Constellation Alpha Prime, I just have a list of controls written down, top to bottom, following the rough order of the buttons to jog my memory. I only need reminders for a bit and on some buttons (Like the three hat switches) after control changes. I tend to try to map keys across games to be the same/similar function on the main stick so I dont have tons of different setups to remember. ie; flares/chaff/decoys to the same hat switch and preferably same directions regardless of game, etc

Just to let everyone know, alpha 3.23 has released to the main servers and has a whole host of new improvements/content/features, including an entirely new character creator, the "master modes" coming to public universe slice for the first time, new fauna, UI overhaul, movement overhaul on foot/EVA, new AC scenarios for testing (like the mastermodes had before) including one that ha the first Engineering Systems gameplay testing, and more.! https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/19736-Alpha-323-Adventure-Beckons for the overview and https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//19915-Star-Citizen-Alpha-3230 for the patch notes more detailed.

Also, while it will not manually update yet there is a NEW RSI Launcher 2.0 you can download. You can continue to use the old 1.6.x for awhile but eventually it will need to upgrade and the new one is a bit more polished anyway. I'd uninstall the old launcher and install the new one, then point it to wherever you installed Star Citizen itself and have it verify - make sure to pay careful attention to the file location so it doesn't try to install a whole new client! https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/19818-Introducing-The-RSI-Launcher-20

In addition the Overdrive Initiative is still ongoing in 3.23 for at least a little while - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/19753-Overdrive-Initiative - and hopefully some of the bugs that people had have been fixed. Not sure if its going to persist through the Invictus, but I know it will have to be done before Xenothreat. Completing all 5 of the Overdrive missions in the game will get you a unique armor set, a token that will allow you to upgrade the F7C MkII into a F7A MKII , as well as a free F7C mk2 rental. Even if you don;t plan to buy the F7C MK2 its good to finish Overdrive if you can, as you can always use it later most likely if you pick up the ship in the game and of course, the armor kit is always neat.

SPeaking of Invictus Launch Week - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/invictuslaunchweek2954#/schedule/countdown - 5 more days at time of writing. Its the next "big sale" and in-game event sort of opposite the IAE in Nov and focuses on combat focused ships and sets up things for the Xenothreat event.

Along with 3.23 comes a new ship - a new "motorcycle/jetbike" type from Mirai called the Pulse and the Pulse LX. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/19745-Mirai-Pulse - Pulse even has a built in laser repeater, where Pulse LX adds an extra manuvering thruster instead and is faster/more agile. Best of all both models are ony $25 each WITH LTI ! They're a lucky LTI token for CCU down the line, so I see people picking them up for that reason; pretty much the cheapest LTI ship we've seen. Oh, the Pulse/PulseXL have a couple of neat paint types, but the Dominion paint (a black and bronze accent pictured beow) is included for chairman's club/concierge members. If anyone wants one or more of these nice bikes and/or LTI tokens and to get them with the Dominion concierge paint as well as the default for each for the same $25 price , just PM me and I can get them over to you at cost!
1715452172140.png

Lastly thank you for all those who wrote about their HOSAS configurations - apparently there are some overhauls for 3.23 for control binding so I'll have to sort them out there as well!

So, I am an original backer and have not played for over 10years(has it been that long. Sure feels like it)
Is this worth getting into again ?

so far 3.23 has been great, 2 friends bought the game today and the new interface is worlds better. I'm glad to say no one has died to an elevator yet lol.
So, I am an original backer and have not played for over 10years(has it been that long. Sure feels like it)
today is a great time to start, with all the new UI features, Mastermodes to slow down space combat, and all the new changes have been great so far.

I tried 3.23 tonight and it was not all that great, I managed to run into 3 fairly large bugs in short order. I got my Mole out and went to mine, only realizing that the mining hud is missing in the turrets making it useless. No big deal, I went back to Arc L4 and landed only to realize that the ASOP terminals there are bugged and will not show a ship list. While there I went to check out the other floors of the station and noticed the elevator buttons don't work. So I guess I am getting my issue council points up at least. All three issues have been confirmed so hopefully 3.23.1 fixes them.

Last night I successfully did a bunker mission and a bunker protect mission without any issues. The new MM modes and cruise control changes are a bit cumbersome but they aren't a deal breaker (yet). Initial impressions I have is that both changes are cumbersome and unintuitive. It just feel like extra complications to what was a very smooth flying experience previously. I still haven't done any combat yet so that is yet to be seen. The new star map and minimap are both amazing though.

Has anyone run into greater performance issues? It may just be that the new features are more demanding on my system, but it seems like the framerate just walking around Orison to start is unplayably low and stuttery, after long loading times - crashed on the tram etc. Anyone know which graphical options are very demanding and/or have little variation in the visible differences between settings but performance impact? I've always been rendering at 4K native (no upscaling; I may try it if necessary. There is apparently CIG' upscaling algo, FSR, and DLSS; not sure the versions of each), Very High quality, and Medium for some of the "distance" options so it wasn't like I was expecting to never have a dip in frame rates, but I can remember during the F8C event things seemed a bit smoother. I thought perhaps it was a Vulkan issue since it is brand new, but even going back to DX11 its still not as I recall a build or two ago. I am running on the sig rig, so I grant that the 5960X is a bit older CPU , the RAM is 16gb (which the client at boot occasionaly complains not enough is free RAM, but even if I reboot clean and run nothing else I had the issues described prior, but my GPU should be fine as a 3090 and its loading from a Samsung 960 EVO SSD so that should be fine. The very same system seemed to work better in a previous build, but perhaps some new feature is more demanding now; I hear a lot of people actually get better performance than before so I'm just checking.

I'd say so overall, I always check in now and again and there's a lot more 'game" there now, with each update adding new features to the gameloop on the public universe slice, among others. There can still be bugs or other issues and its not complete, but it can be great fun and there's a surprising amount of depth and content even so far. I agree with what Dan says as well

Last night I successfully did a bunker mission and a bunker protect mission without any issues. The new MM modes and cruise control changes are a bit cumbersome but they aren't a deal breaker (yet). Initial impressions I have is that both changes are cumbersome and unintuitive. It just feel like extra complications to what was a very smooth flying experience previously. I still haven't done any combat yet so that is yet to be seen. The new star map and minimap are both amazing though.
I think the master modes are, as BassTek references, designed to reorient space combat to a slower pace and focused around each ship's behavior catering to its strengths and bound by weaknesses. The original flight models were a bit "arcade-y" and much like damage models didn't necessarily give people time for emergent gameplay they're trying to build (ie you need to be able to disable a ship without blowing it up in a space jousting twitch fest if you're going to threaten someone to drop half their cargo as a pirate etc). My understanding is master modes are designed to make it so ships fly as they're supposed to (ie light fighters benefit from their agility, whereas heavier ones can withsstand more shield/hull damage and output raw weapons power etc) and that you can't just easily "have it all" with power swapped back and forth between shield, weapon, engines etc..at the drop of a hat, while also in combat. I grant it may be more cumbersome to start and the system isn't finished, but I figure its the first step down this path and will be refined more. Some other control changes I don't know enough about to comment.

Speaking of that, has anyone noticed that the "advanced keybinding" button used to bind HOTAS/HOSAS style stuff don't seem to be working? At least last night, let me try again - may just be me.

Edit: I think the framerate issue may have been related to the servers being slammed given the new patch + weekend prime hours , and/or something having to do with my VPN. Most of the day I had horrid, unplayable slideshows but later in the evening with the same settings it was smoother closer to how I remembered. I'l have to check it out today and see what's working and what's not.

Last edited:
That is why I am reserving judgement for now, it is the first "public" iteration of this flight model. If a new user started playing today they'd probably be fine. People, including me, are just reluctant to change. That said, the game should have tool tips when launching new features. I feel like an idiot, but I was used to holding B to activate quantum, but now it just shuts the drive off. I had to look it up to find that pressing mouse 1 engaged the drive when looking at your target. I also had to disable the "parking brake" feature that limited your ship speed to 30 if your landing gear was down.

im a 5800x3d.64gb ram, 3090 and feel i havent gained that much performance. its more or less the same.

all my hosas settings were FUBAR, started from the start.

Im so far kinda enjoying master modes. its definitely more cumbersome but i think its cause im used to the old model.

my son and 2 friends are having a blast currently and they were able to pick up the game relatively easy.

I’m not in love with master modes. Performance is fine on my 7950x3d and 4090. My son was seeing choppy performance in Area18 with his 5600x and 3080.

As always latency is super high. We timed me jumping to when it was shown on my son’s screen and it was around 3 seconds.

I like the new ui and map. Didn’t run across any bugs. Just general jank due to the tick rate. Server meshing can’t come soon enough.

As a lefty… the keybinds are out of control. The ground keybinds were enough to make me put off binding my hosas.

Back