SED info

elvn

Supreme [H]ardness
Perhaps alittle early since they are pushed back until 2008, but I figured I'd start a thread dedicated to SED tech rather than have SED info remain only scattered throughout other posts as a sub-topic. :) Feel free to use this thread to log info about SED 's / SED tech.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canon site's SED explained

BeHardware.. SED's at exposition (2005)

* Response time : inferior to 1 ms
* Contrast ratio : 100,000:1 (brightness is of 400 cd/m²)
* Viewing angles : complete, 180° in each directions.

"In fact, SED seems to be the natural son of TFT and CRT monitors. It combines the thinness of the first and the qualities of the second and improves them. Like cathode-ray tube TVs, SED technology is based on the collision of electrons and phosphoric monitor to emit light. Still, unlike cathode-ray tubes, there isn’t a single gun for the monitor, but a mini electron gun behind each sub-pixel! 1920 x 1080 x 3 = 6.2 million of guns."

IMG0014577.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SeekingAlpha - Canon and Toshiba to Delay SED

The EETimes page isn't loading so instead of linking it, I pased the cached by google verion:

EE Times: Semi News
Cost pressure delays SED introduction

Yoshiko Hara
EE Times
(03/08/2006 3:43 PM EST)

TOKYO — Toshiba Corp. and Canon Inc. have delayed the introduction of surface-conduction, electron-emitter display (SED) TVs by about 18 months and are reviewing their volume production plans at Toshiba's Himeji plant. Production was to have begun there in January 2007.

Both companies attributed the delay to growing cost competitiveness. They therefore decided to recalibrate the timing of their SED introduction to coincide with 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.

SED technology has been gaining attention as a potential competitor to plasma displays and LCDs for large, flat TVs. Despite better picture quality, however, SED TVs must still compete with LCD and PDP TVs, which are dropping steadily in price

Canon has invested about $200 million in SED production at a plant in Hiratsuka, Kanagawa prefecture. It has been working to cut production costs at the R&D center there, but is still struggling with yields, according to an industry source.

With establishment of the R&D center last August, Toshiba and Canon had planned to introduce SED TVs by this spring. That introduction has been postponed to the fourth quarter of 2007. The R&D center will begin limited production of 55-inch panels in July 2007.

A volume production plan is under review. Toshiba will use its Himeji plant, where it has produced LCDs, for volume production of SED panels. It is being refurbished at a cost of ¥180 billion (about $1.7 billion). The plant was originally scheduled to begin operations in January 2007, with monthly production of 75,000 units. Toshiba is now reviewing its production schedule, a Toshiba spokesman said.

SED technology, originally developed by Canon, leverages the field emission phenomena. SED panels have the same structure and use the same phosphors as CRTs. They replace the CRT's electron gun with electron emissions at each pixel. Thus, SED panels provide higher brightness, color productivity and faster response times than CRTs.

SED = take a long nap and keep dreaming. I remember holding off on buying a plasma because SED was going to be released in the second half of 2005.

If you want comprehensive SED discussion threads, checkout AVS Forum.

Yeah I know I use avs forum alot. :) I just see smatterings of SED info in threads and I find it easier to just reference one 'in-house' thread when it comes up in discussion.

The technology is exciting, but I hope they didn't miss their window of opportunity. The more they wait, the more plasma prices will drop.

IcedEmotion said:
The technology is exciting, but I hope they didn't miss their window of opportunity. The more they wait, the more plasma prices will drop.

Plasma still sucks for gaming. Burn in anyone?

The only thing that could have me weary of this technology is the use of individual electron guns for each sub pixel. What if a few of these fail.. how hard would it be to have them repaired? Also i'd love to see this technology come out but I would doubt seeing it out in smaller forms (like computer monitors) for a couple of years.

SED cannot come soon enough, if you ask me. Almost every flat panel monitor comes with brightness specs, and it seems that every manufacturer is striving to make super bright displays. Little attention is given to the black level luminance, however. When watching a dark scene on my plasma with low ambient lighting, the grey glow that is supposed to represent black is quite noticeable and distracts from the movie watching experience. Plasma, LCD, and the various different RPTV formats have rated black level luminances anywhere from approximately 0.1 cd/m2 to 1 cd/m2. SED, like CRT, is reported] to be along the lines of 0.01 cd/m2.

If SED can deliver on the black levels that various media sources have reported, I will be very happy. Of course, there seem to be some emerging LCD technologies that are improving black levels, so it'll be interesting to see what the scene is like when SED finally does make its appearance.

The amount of money they have spent and will spend in the years till they have a product is all going to factor the price. Sure it will have great specs but how many folks are going to spend 10K for a 40" screen in 2008? You have to figure this could lead to the eventual cancellation of the technology, and it wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened, even this far along.

Look at how much people jumped hearing the pricing on the PS3. Price is a factor, not for all, but for most. And then you have competing tech and how much it can improve (all the while as it sells product to pay for its improvements) during the years it takes to bring SED to market. Those would cover our current flat panel technologies which continue to get better and better. Consumers are the ones who determine how much is "good enough" vs "expensive enough" and quality often goes up with price, but at some point people have the "enough is enough" syndrome hit. It's clear that SED is not simple, or there would not be so much time involved in perfecting it. It's clear it has weaknesses, but that comes with the potential Lexus of display qualities. Meanwhile you have OLED on the horizon, lasers replacing color wheels and ordinary light sources and current technologies constantly getting cheaper.

SED's predermination as the technology of choice, even for enthusiasts is far from assured.

$.02

Coldtronius said:
Plasma still sucks for gaming. Burn in anyone?
SED will suffer from burn-in as well. ALL Phosphour based displays do, wheither SED will be better than plasma in this regard hasn't been demonstrated either.

squeezee said:
SED will suffer from burn-in as well. ALL Phosphour based displays do, wheither SED will be better than plasma in this regard hasn't been demonstrated either.

Uh, no where near Plasma though and its been shown that SED kicks Plasma's ass.

Back