Poll: Do you pay extra for the over-clock capable hardware and never over-clock it?

anyone can throw me a follow on there if you want just let me know you're coming from Hard|Forum so i can add you to my H|Forum circle :)

What do you mean "pay extra" for the over-clock capable hardware?

Unless you are buying OEM machines, pretty much all CPUs, motherboards, RAM, and video cards are overclockable. Are you talking specifically of the k series CPUs from Intel?

As for overclocking... been doing it since the days of the 80386, and not stopping anytime soon.

What do you mean "pay extra" for the over-clock capable hardware?

Unless you are buying OEM machines, pretty much all CPUs, motherboards, RAM, and video cards are overclockable. Are you talking specifically of the k series CPUs from Intel?

As for overclocking... been doing it since the days of the 80386, and not stopping anytime soon.

K series, black series from AMD, the boards that OC best, etc.

I don't OC anymore these days (just don't have a need - not that I wouldn't be willing, but I don't have anything bound by CPU or even GPU most of the time enough that it matters), but I still buy the best gear for it simply because it's often the best gear ~period~, and my systems tend to last a long time these days (once it's done being a workstation/gaming machine, it becomes a server).

K series, black series from AMD, the boards that OC best, etc.

I don't OC anymore these days (just don't have a need - not that I wouldn't be willing, but I don't have anything bound by CPU or even GPU most of the time enough that it matters), but I still buy the best gear for it simply because it's often the best gear ~period~, and my systems tend to last a long time these days (once it's done being a workstation/gaming machine, it becomes a server).

Nope.. just usually buy the mid-grade stuff except for motherboards.. and then I generally look for what has my preferred slot layout, which usually ends up being a mid-grade board anyway.

The overclocking differences between most modern boards is not that much... especially not enough of a difference to spend $150-$200 more than I usually do.

I also end up giving/selling for cheap my older hardware to family members. The only stuff that has died since I have been doing that was a motherboard from lightning damage. (MSI P35 based board).

The survey needs to have a 3rd option. - No I don't spend extra to overclock, but I overclock anyway.

I do mainly because I think I have a better chance of selling it later on. I always like to have the option to overclock anyway.

Short answer: yes

Long answer: used to not have the money for new hardware and had time to over clock, now have the money for new hardware and no time to overclock.
I used to be able to tinker until my heart was content, now I just want it to work perfectly and not piss me off when I can get an hour of gaming in during a week night.

Last edited:
I only wound up with the K version of my CPU because it was $20 cheaper than the non-K version last year during Black Friday sales.

I used to overclock everything, now I'd rather have 100% stable and stock or pre-overclocked from the factory parts.

I used to buy non k intel because it was cheaper, but then realized that overclocking was a pain going that route.

Yes, I payed an extra premium to overclock my i7-4770k, but the temperatures I was getting @4.4ghz with my H100i w/4 fans were pretty high even after fine tuning the voltage, so I just didn't feel like it was worth the difference in my applications plus the extra noise when it ramps up OC'd. I have been running stock since. Tried to de-lid it and failed, lol.

Last edited:
Like most here, I normally overclock my rigs... but with my latest build (Intel 4770) I wanted to save some money and didn't get the K processor. I figured with the "turbo" automatic overclocks, it's become sort of a moot point for the most part outside of benchmarks. I know that there are gains to be had, but I don't feel that it would entirely tangible like it once was.

With my GPU (HD7990), I haven't overclocked it in some time. It's plenty powerful enough for everything I need it for, so don't see the point unless benchmarking or something. When it starts running out of headroom, I'll likely explore it a little further.

Monitors/displays, on the other hand (including my laptop), I most definitely overclock.

used to not have the money for new hardware and had time to over clock, now have the money for new hardware and no time to overclock.
I used to be able to tinker until my heart was content, now I just want it to work perfectly and not piss me off when I can get an hour of gaming in during a week night.
^this. I don't usually go after the newest games, so my systems will last me a very long time. I do, however, buy the best stuff I can find, and keep it all as cold as possible, having been told long ago that the main enemy of electronics is excess heat. I do overclock stuff just to see how far I can get, but then back it down to normal. It's nice because at some point, I need to know if it's the system, the game, or the connection that's slowing me down, and rampiing up the clock speed is one way to see the difference and know if it's time for a new machine.

I have more fun hardware tweaking than I do playing games. I enjoy pushing limits and seeing how far I can take things. I also don't usually have the money for top end hardware so I'm limited on what I can start with. That said, I don't usually do too much voltage tweaking only because I can't afford to replace fried hardware.

Back