MY first SFF build: Qmicra v2

yang88she

2[H]4U
Well it will be in a Qmicra v2, as soon as they are available, but for the time being I'm using a very old trusty mid-tower

This is my first build in over 3 yrs. I've been using laptops due to moving and the need for mobility, but now that I am more grounded I figure this would be a great time to re-learn how to build a desktop (yes I am a very very rusty...picture to follow! )

This is my first attempt @ building a SFF, this rig will predominately be used for movie watching, photoshop, internet surfing, game playing etc etc.

I chose to go w/ a SFF, b/c I will be lugging this thing from my parents house, back to my house (1 1/2 hr. drive one way), due to gas prices, I stay @ my folks place since I work closer to their house and I go up on weekend to my wife and son.

specs:

Case: Qmicra v2 SFF
MB: Asus P5E HDMI
CPU: Q9450
CPU Cooler: Zalman 9700NT
GPU: EVGA 280 GTX FtW
Memory: 4 x 2GB G.Skill PC8000
PSU: Corsair 620HX
HDD: Intermal 2 x 1TB Samsung F1
HDD: External 300gb Maxtor External, 500gb Hitachi External, 1TB Hitachi External
Sound: HT Omega Claro 7.1
Optical: 2 x SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD
Case Cooling: 3 120mm Green LED SilentX fans

Well for the time being I am using a very very old generic aluminum Mid-tower, until the Qmicra v2 are finished getting built (hopefully this weekend, crosses fingers)

Pictures of the Goods:

thegoodsub4.jpg

Recycling Boxes:

recyclingyy7.jpg

The teeny tiny mb:

mbwo2.jpg

So yeah, anybody see what I did wrong?
1. Putting on the HSF took me longer than I care to admit, and after I screwed the mb into the case, did I realize that I put the HSF on backwards

newbnessjl0.jpg

The beautiful FtW!!

ftwle1.jpg

Um wtfbbqc0pt3r? I have a very large air bubble inside the sticker (not that it will affect performance, but not what I expected after spending beaucoup on a FtW...oh well, not that people will be able to see it when it's my case anyway

ftwwtfui5.jpg

My very small room (it was the room I grew up in haha)
-going to install XP Pro for now, gotta see if I can free up 2 more sata connections b/c the 280 gtx is one massive card and literally covers the sata connections
-Hopefully some 90 degree angled Sata cables, I can connect my other optical and other HDD
-I hope to run Vista 64 SP1 when I get my new case and get my sata cable situation figured out

setupqx3.jpg

Close up of the "dirty guts," not too worried about wire management at this time, since this case is not "it's" permanent home

dirtygutsmz1.jpg

Here's my sorry excuse for a temporary home for my "lovely" parts...oh well it's only temporary

uglycaseiy7.jpg

I hope to have my Qmicra v2 Case by next week, so I can give my components a nice spacious SFF case.

Will post more pictures once I get my case and clean everything up!

Thanks!

Damn, can't wait to see your work with the Qmicra.

BTW, what are you using that wifi card for?

well as soon as I get everything installed, I will be using the wifi card for...wifi ;)

I'm surprised you saw it, the thing is tiny being sandwiched between the zalman and the 280 haha

The Qmicra are amazing cases. Dave did a very good job, I just sold off my Qv1, and there may be a Qv2 purchase in my future but as for know, I needed something as small as possible. I was gonna go shuttle but I decided on the SG01/NT06-E that way I'm not locked into a socket because I plan on moving to AMD when the 45nm Phenoms are released. :D

Pop that bubble then it would be one tiny hole, instead of a ginormous tumor.

It performs pretty good...in XP, I can't get the damn thing to work in Vista to save my life :(

Here's some updated picturesThe front
frontyx7.jpg

The guts: mmm 280gtx FTW goodness and makes my Claro sound card look tiny!

insidehi4.jpg

The Setup

setuplb2.jpg

did you have to put the lappy in front of that sexy cube in the last pic =P

updated:

bye:
Corsair 620HX
Asus P5E HDMI
HT Omega Claro
280 Gtx FtW
Abit Air Pace
Zalman 9700 NT
2 x 24" Gateway FHD2400
SilenX Green LED fans

Hello:
Corsair 1000HX
2 x Sapphire 4870x2
DFI P45 Lanparty Jr
Thermalright Ultra 90
Gateway xhd 3000
SilenX Red LED Fans
setupon5.jpg

quadfiregv2.jpg

quadfire2ux5.jpg

tonsofwiresfw3.jpg

sideviewresizedqp7.jpg

I'm amazed that your SFF can pack that much hardware into such a small case. My next PC is gonna be a Qmicra SFF!!

I'm amazed that your SFF can pack that much hardware into such a small case. My next PC is gonna be a Qmicra SFF!!

haha seriously, it's definitely heavier on the left side, due to the duel gpu's

I have to say I'm really impressed w/ the air flow, despite all the hardware inside, and how everything fit in w/ out too much of a hassle

Holy moly you have loaded this poor little beast up. Now I want one :(

Liking the spacious and seemingly easy to work with interior. Not digging the front though - think it's hideous.

I love the front of the V2 but those drives dont go well with it and that ultra front panel thing is hideous.

damn thats sick! i wanted to get the DFI and do the same thing but my moneys have run short lately.

yah its nice to have lots o memory. :)

it doesn't look SFF to me compared to something like shuttle xpc

Back