MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II OC, Shader Unlock works!

jrobdog

Limp Gawd
For those who have this video card, or are looking to purchase a non-reference design that has the ability to Unlock shaders to 6970. I just purchased two of these on Newegg on Monday 7/11, received yesterday and have been able to successfully unlock both cards.

Numerous threads exist on how to do this, but many seem to be giving conflicting reports on success.

They are both running fine at HD 6970 speeds at 1.12Volts.

Just an FYI the guide I used was written by Bystander on Toms Hardware Forum. Just make sure you are using ATiWinflash 2.13 and not ATiWinflash 2.14 or else you will get a ROM programming FAIL message.

The other option I've seen posted says you can just flash the Power Edition unlock bios, that did not work for me.

X-Post from Tom's Hardware

"Step 1) Download ATI Winflash:http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1919/ATI_Winflash_2.0.1.13.html (The newest version has been reported to not work).
2) Install winflash in the root directory (i.e. C:\winflash)
3) Download the script to modify the bios and extract it: www.techpowerup.com/wizzard/Mod_BIOS_HD_6950.zip
4) If you have a BIOS switch, set it to the 1 position (TWIN FROZR Will not have a BIOS SWITCH)
5) Run ATI Winflash, click "Save" to save your BIOS, be sure to make a copy of this and save it some where safe in case some thing goes wrong.
6) Make a copy of the saved BIOS and rename the copy to "original.bin"
6.a) If you cannot see the file extensions, you need to open the Folder Options in the control panel and uncheck the option "Hide extensions for known file types"
7) Copy the "original.bin" file to the script folder "Mod_BIOS_HD_6950"
8) Execute the "run.bat" batch file
9) Look in the folder "Mod_BIOS_HD_6950" and copy the file "modded.bin" to the folder you installed ATI Winflash in (C:\winflash)
10) Open up the command prompt (Start->All Programs->Accessories) you may have to right click and run as adminstrator
11) Change to the ATI Winflash directory with the command "cd C:\winflash" or what ever directory you saved it in
12) Type "atiwinflash -unlockrom 0" (the "0" stands for the first PCIe card installed, "1" will work for the 2nd card)
13) Type "atiwinflash -f -p 0 modded.bin" (the "0" stands for the first PCIe card installed, "1" will work for the 2nd card)
WARNING: do not turn off your computer until step 13 is completely finished.
You should have successfully installed the modified BIOS. You will see a window pop up to say it was verified and ask you to reboot if everything went as planned.
14) To verify that you succeeded in unlocking the shaders, use GPU-Z and look to see that you have 1536 Unified shaders.

If your system becomes unstable after you reboot, you'll have to reflash the original saved BIOS back onto the card following steps 10-13 and using the "original.bin" BIOS in place of "modded.bin". "

Last edited:
There is an official MSI BIOS here:http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_froz_iii_power_edition_unlocking,1.html

along with instructions for flashing the BIOS. It would be appropiate to use ATIWinflash, but I think the latest version would be fine.

The BIOS version is from MSI.....and supports the Frozr III, I would think it would also support the Frozr II.

The thing you need to know is, does the techpowerup BIOS change anything on the memory side? If it does it could brick your card.

Hum, commenters on that same Newegg page say they weren't able to unlock.

Thing is given you JUST bought two of them, I'm going to go with the idea that those commenters didn't know what they were doing.

Thing is given you JUST bought two of them, I'm going to go with the idea that those commenters didn't know what they were doing.

They must not have known how to, My shaders unlocked also.

Alright, I took the plunge. grabbed one from Newegg (along with new PSU). Thanks for the advice guys!

Random knuckleheads on newegg vs. hardcore enthusiasts here.....I'd go with the H crowd anytime.

You just have to understand that not all cards will unlock, but I would venture that the newegg posters just didnt know what they were doing.

I had three MSI 6950s (reference) and they all unlocked as easy as pie, and I've never flashed a GPU BIOS ever until these cards.:p

Lol, the card I just purchased from Newegg was already flashed. Silly Newegger.

Well I just bought a Visiontek 6950 which someone reported still being a ref card and the one I received was not.. The best part is that one I just got was already openned and resealed. The sticker on the anti static wrapping was ripped off and there were finger prints all over the back of the card.. Not happy.

Well I just bought a Visiontek 6950 which someone reported still being a ref card and the one I received was not.. The best part is that one I just got was already openned and resealed. The sticker on the anti static wrapping was ripped off and there were finger prints all over the back of the card.. Not happy.

Yep - I almost got the VisionTek until this thread popped up because some people reported still getting the reference version.

From the comments you should be able to RMA directly to VisionTek for the reference version.

I was already on the phone with VisionTek and they told me they were all out of reference cards. Called Newegg and explained to them that the card had been used and they waived the restocking fee and are paying for the return shipping.

Just an fyi. As stated the MSI bios for the twin frozr 3 pe will brick your tf2. Or it did brick mine. Bio these are not reference cards they use different voltage regulators for instance and lack a bios switch.

There is an official MSI BIOS here:http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_froz_iii_power_edition_unlocking,1.html

along with instructions for flashing the BIOS. It would be appropiate to use ATIWinflash, but I think the latest version would be fine.

The BIOS version is from MSI.....and supports the Frozr III, I would think it would also support the Frozr II.

The thing you need to know is, does the techpowerup BIOS change anything on the memory side? If it does it could brick your card.

Latest winflash won't properly program the bios. the power edition bios will brick your card.

Just an fyi. As stated the MSI bios for the twin frozr 3 pe will brick your tf2. Or it did brick mine. Bio these are not reference cards they use different voltage regulators for instance and lack a bios switch.

The PE BIOS I referenced is for the Frozr III, which is not a reference card either, but since it probably IS just enough different from the Frozr II, it didn't work for you.

If someone HAS a Frozr III it will flash as I listed above.

Damn, I sent my Twin Frozr II in for RMA and now MSI tells me they don't have anymore. They're offering me $240 for it though, don't know where I can find one for that much.

If someone HAS a Frozr III it will flash as I listed above.

So even a Frozr III pruchased now still can be flashed using that guide? Just asking because the Frozr III's have a instant $15 off Promo plus a mail in rebate card. So should be able to get it for around 264.99 total with the $15 promo ending tomorrow 7/15.

I had a twin frozr iii but it didn't unlock. I had to RMA it though and asked MSI to give me a twin frozr ii and that unlocked.

So even a Frozr III pruchased now still can be flashed using that guide? Just asking because the Frozr III's have a instant $15 off Promo plus a mail in rebate card. So should be able to get it for around 264.99 total with the $15 promo ending tomorrow 7/15.

Vortez has a guide on unlocking the Frozr III - http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_froz_iii_power_edition_unlocking,1.html

I don't know if it actually works and the screenshots looks a bit discouraging because they seem to be using Windows 98.

That web page I linked is straight from MSI, using the PE BIOS and a Frozr III.:D

I don't know if it actually works and the screenshots looks a bit discouraging because they seem to be using Windows 98.

That just represents a version of Windows as an example. I would download the PE BIOS, use ATIWinflash to load in the new BIOS and you should be good to go.

Just be sure to save the stock BIOS before the flash, Winflash can do that for you.

I had a twin frozr iii but it didn't unlock. I had to RMA it though and asked MSI to give me a twin frozr ii and that unlocked.

I hope you didn't RMA a perfectly working card just because you couldn't unlock the shaders on it?

The bios edit script doesnt change anything but shaders, no reason not to flash it, If you have a backup card or z68 chipset. Using some of the 6970 bios, i have read of issues due to ram timings.

what are you guys getting temp wise with your cards I am at 68 load after 10 minutes in kombuster and furmark. I feel like this is a little high for the twin frozr cards no? Is this worth an RMA? I would also like to say that I have just got a second card to unlock. I had one but I tried going to high on the memory and it died. I RMA'd it and got another Twin frozr and just sucessfully unlocked the shaders again.

Last edited:
I have two Frozr II's in crossfire right now. Can this be done while they are in crossfire or do I have to disconnect them?

My Twin Frozr II OC unlock failed.

Stock:

2l2bm.gif

VIA Official Twin Frozr III unlock bios (r6590pex.bin):

KZ7l4.gif

VIA Wizzard's script on stock bios(post 1 in thread):
I diff'd the bios in hex editor and verified the php edit was applied correctly.
I also pulled the modded bios back off the card and compared it to stock to verify it flashed correctly.

2l2bm.gif

VIA Wizzard's script on Official Twin Frozr III unlock bios:

3wt.png

Safe to say shaders on Twin Frozr II OC's are now cut.

Zed03, it looks like you're using methods for the tf3's, which is distinct from the tf2.

Zed03, it looks like you're using methods for the tf3's, which is distinct from the tf2.

The flash method for TF3 is identical to TF2. The only difference is TF3 has a pre-modded bios supplied by MSI, and TF2 requires using Wizzard's script to mod the original bios.

The TF3 bios also unlocks TF2, as proven by 10+ people here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/316974-33-radeon-6950-shader-unlock-instructions

Regardless, I tried both methods, hence the 4 screenshots.

I'm in the same position as Zed03. My MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II came brand new and didn't unlock with RBE, Wizzard's script or r6950pex.bin. Are there any other alternatives to unlock this card?

I'm in the same position as Zed03. My MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II came brand new and didn't unlock with RBE, Wizzard's script or r6950pex.bin. Are there any other alternatives to unlock this card?

All my research points to no.

I'm running the card stable at 1.175 volts (same as 6970) @ 935 mhz core and 1375 memory and it rapes my friends 6970 even with the cores at 6950 levels.

I'm convinced the unlock is relatively meaningless, its the overclock that matters.

Back