More insult to injury

Gilthanis

[H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014
So, I received this today over at POGS

POGS.PNG

His previous reply to me was Dec. 24, 2016. I figured it was time he gave a reason.......
And my reply to him was

He should have brought that to the community to decide. Yes it sucks for those that are only CPU capable, but it opens up those resources to be applied to CPU (capable only) projects. For example, GPU's are claimed to not help Rosetta at all. So, that project would benefit from potentially more CPU's available. But that is just one of many. I get that there would be complaints about lack of work, but you can never really keep everyone happy. Now, if the admins here would have taken my advice back when they launched the BOINC side of things and just made one BOINC project to house both POGS and SourceFinder, then that would solve the issue for both camps. It was extremely confusing for many users to have the main skynet page and then a second one that is part of the BOINC server setup. Many didn't know that they both existed and to which to support. As you have witnessed, most don't bother with the main site for anything but an occasional challenge because having dual forums is a waste of time. Unfortunately, we now have 3 sites, 3 forums, when we really only need the one.

Last edited:
So basically they don't want to finish their work ? Seems no budget constraint ...lucky them ...
I'm happy to slow them down further and help WCG more ..:

To me they should want to finish their current scope of their research quickly, understand the results, then move on to a second phase. Adding in GPU software would aid with that, so it frustrating that they wouldn't embrace the technology. With large distributed projects any inefficiency is magnified a thousand or even million fold, so the code should be highly optimized and the people give a choice CPU or GPU if both options are available.

That is my argument. However, they are apparently more worried about CPU only users getting pissy about the lack of work if they did. And I get that as it is one of my favored Android capable projects. However, I see the bigger picture...

NickOfTime had been helping them with their optimized applications and their GPU app back when that whole ordeal started. I've PM'd him to let him know the end result but he hasn't logged in the forums since December.

Wow.

Just goes to show how much more efficient GPUs are at crunching numbers than CPUs these days.

Luckily, got a reply back from him. He has been busy but may return soon.

I think I am making some progress.

sourcefinder.PNG

I also mentioned to him that one of our team members was possibly interested in a H sponsored project to learn more about the server side of things. So, I told him if he was interested in help like that then I could run it by this member. (ChristianVirtual ).

Back