HTC to Vive owners: We recommend having a spotter present

crusty_juggler

[H]ard|Gawd
Surprisingly, running around while being unable to see what's in front of you can be dangerous. HTC recommends you only use the Vive while being supervised.
HTC said:
"It is recommended that the product be used only while under the supervision of another person who is ready to warn of hazards that may arise while the product is being used."
Wait, did I say running? DO NOT RUN!
HTC said:
"Move your feet slowly and carefully to avoid tripping, including on the cable. Make sure to maintain good footing. Tripping over the cable or contacting obstacles could cause injury"
Now I know what you guys are thinking, "Maybe I could get a seeing eye dog to help me avoid tripping over the cable or running face first into a wall". Well, think again - HTC recommends you put Fido away while utilizing room-scale.
HTC said:
"Examples of hazards that could arise include, but are not limited to, tangling of a cable in a manner that presents a tripping hazard, pets entering the area where the product is being used, and the user walking too close to a wall or other hazard."
Also, if you do happen to trip over the dog/cable/coffee table, don't go careening out the window. Or into the fireplace. Or down a flight of stairs.
HTC said:
"Do not rely on the product's chaperone system for protection. The headset should also not be used near stairways, large windows, heat sources, or outdoors."
The biggest buzzkill from nanny HTC? Don't drink and Vive.
HTC said:
"You shouldn't use the Vive if you are under the influence of intoxicants/drugs"

Exit question: Does requiring a spotter for room-scale solve the social isolation problem with VR?

Back