Good deal on a gaming computer? For $90...

laxmiddi44

Gawd
I am buying this computer from my friend, is it a good deal? It has no harddrive or CD/DVD drives.

AMD AthlonXP 2200
XFX GeForce FX 5200 256MB DDR 8X AGP w/ TV & DVI
Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra (Platinum) SocA Motherboard
Chieftec Dragon Series Blue w/ Clr Side/USB/1394 Case
WACA Hiro 400 Watt P4 Ready Power Supply
Ultra 512mb PC2700, 256mb PC2100, Kingston 256mb PC2100

(Would it be faster to run 512mb at 2700 or 1gb at 2100?)

Thanks for your imput...

looks to be a decent deal, although you are going to have a hard time running new games on that thing.

laxmiddi44 said:
Would it be faster to run 512mb at 2700 or 1gb at 2100?

It really depends on what you're playing - 512MB at 2700 is going to be faster until the system needs more than 512MB of memory. Personally, I'd try to play with memory timings/voltages to get it all running at 2700 speeds :D

I say get it, could always just use it as a spare machine to run quake 3 or something at lanpartys

I dunno, its a decent deal but it won't really run any modern games worth a crap, and you will also have to add a hd and cdrom that will ad at least 60$ on to the price, unless you just want a backup machine or one for someone else, otherwise skip.

sculelos said:
I dunno, its a decent deal but it won't really run any modern games worth a crap, and you will also have to add a hd and cdrom that will ad at least 60$ on to the price, unless you just want a backup machine or one for someone else, otherwise skip.
I think it's a start...you won't get a deal anywhere else like that...if worse comes to worse, he can just buy a new video card sometime. For now, it'll do justice.

Good price for a secondary computer? Yes.
Is it a gaming beast? No.

What games do you play? If its old games like Starcraft, then yes it'll do the job. Just don't expect to play the newer games decently.

laxmiddi44 said:
Would it be faster to run 512mb at 2700 or 1gb at 2100?

The CPU FSB is 266, unless you intend to overclock or attempt to unlock it and run a 333FSB, the PC2700 is essentially wasted. (running async on the AXP offers little if any performance gain)
Go for the 1GB at 1:1 with the FSB.

Maximus825 said:
What kind of system do you have now?

mac mini, i need a cheap pc to run counter strike source, thats all i really care about and i know it will run css pretty decently considering it ran good with my ti4200.

my mac mini will be used for AIM, Music, Videos etc....

ok now it $105 with a 80GB HD and i have a extra CD drive so i won't need to buy one! :) now its even better.

FreiDOg said:
The CPU FSB is 266, unless you intend to overclock or attempt to unlock it and run a 333FSB, the PC2700 is essentially wasted. (running async on the AXP offers little if any performance gain)
Crap.. you're right. I wasn't even paying attention to that.

FreiDOg said:

What do u mean it would be wasted?
What setup should i run then? just 512mb 2700
Or 2x256mb 2100? Thanks

It's kind of a pain to overclock KT333's for noobies. So just run all the memory she'll take because default it will be PC2100 speeds anyways. This is also what the other guy was getting at. :)

Without the locked buses of today's boards OC'ing was a real pain.

$90....thats like change buy it man!

if it goes wrong u can just check it away and if it doesnt u get to play cs:s its a win win situation :p

laxmiddi44 said:
What do u mean it would be wasted?
What setup should i run then? just 512mb 2700
Or 2x256mb 2100? Thanks

No, keep the 1GB PC2100. Your chip has a FSB of 266mhz, meaning it needs DDR266 (a.k.a. PC2100) to run at its max. Since PC2700 will do nothing (since it will be downclocked to PC2100 speeds), its better to have 1gig of PC2100

rayman2k2 said:
No, keep the 1GB PC2100. Your chip has a FSB of 266mhz, meaning it needs DDR266 (a.k.a. PC2100) to run at its max. Since PC2700 will do nothing (since it will be downclocked to PC2100 speeds), its better to have 1gig of PC2100

and source requires one gig anyways....

laxmiddi44 said:
what is a borg?

I'm not a hardcore folder, but I thought borging was running Folding@home under your username on someone else's computer?

Foz2001 said:
I'm not a hardcore folder, but I thought borging was running Folding@home under your username on someone else's computer?

i dont even kno wut that means lol

very good deal if you're in need for something at exactly those speeds.

You can run CSS on that, or fold and help cure diseases and earn points, or sell it for more than it's worth to some dummy. Buy it.

Mayhs said:
and source requires one gig anyways....

Wow I guess that wasn't Source I was running on my buddy's old 256mb machine.

-pig

laxmiddi44 said:
mac mini, i need a cheap pc to run counter strike source, thats all i really care about and i know it will run css pretty decently considering it ran good with my ti4200.

my mac mini will be used for AIM, Music, Videos etc....

ti4200 > 5200

Yes, the FX5200 is very poor performance-wise. It will simply choke when it comes to CS:S.

-J.

So swap out the ti4200 for the FX :p
(use the FX in a media centre... lol)

Worse comse to worse, I bet you can find a higher-grade 5xxx series or ATI 9xxx series on Ebay for cheap.

k, so this is the deal
im the one selling this comp
and all of u guys saying "o, it wont run css, blah blah, wont run modern games"
u dont kno what the fuck ur talking about
i had it for a good year
and i played css E-X-C-E-S-S-V-E-L-Y
and i had no problem (other than small lag due to internet connections)
so kno that it does play all that shit
and u cant say it doesnt till u ACTUALLY play it.....

It's definitely a steal for $90. It's also definitely going to chug on a lot of newer games, but nothing a couple of cheap upgrades couldn't fix.

commth225 said:
k, so this is the deal
im the one selling this comp
and all of u guys saying "o, it wont run css, blah blah, wont run modern games"
u dont kno what the fuck ur talking about
i had it for a good year
and i played css E-X-C-E-S-S-V-E-L-Y
and i had no problem (other than small lag due to internet connections)
so kno that it does play all that shit
and u cant say it doesnt till u ACTUALLY play it.....

They mean modern as in cod2 and FEAR and the likes, noone said it wouldn't run CSS RTFM

^ exactly

and no need to come on here and flip out, maybe you should ACTUALLY read what people said.

F.E.A.R. being modern game is a lot different from CS:S and I am guessing you would have a hard time playing FEAR on that machine is what I think people are getting at. Sure it may "run" but it probably isn't very enjoyable in terms of eye candy, resolution, frame rate etc.

Tons of people said it was a good deal.

Back