GGW-H20L (LG) BD-RE problems

Silvers24

Gawd
So, I own the HD-DVD BD Super Multi. (8-1-2008/Newegg.com)
It had been working for a long time. And now, all it does is read BD's, DVD's, CD's, HD-DVD's, etc.
It's FW is YL05 (Up-to-date) but it won't read my BD-RE's.
Maybe their bad, I do not know, as I only have the two. But these disks have worked before.
When the Burners (i've tried them on) wanted to work.

Why is this?
Right now, the drive is totally unusable. The BD-RE is just sitting in there, and the blue LED lights just keep on blinking.

If I even mess with it in My Computer, it'll crash my system. (Well, attempt to.)

My drive can't be going bad, can it? I have not owned it that long. Little before 2008, if not in 2008 I had obtained it from NewEgg.com.

And the kicker is, IT WILL NO LONGER BURN MY DAMN DVD's. JUST MY CD's
Sorry for yelling that part.

I contacted LG, through live chat, and got NOTHING. Not a god damn thing.
Is this P.O.S. toast? Is that all I have now? A use to be expensive Reader only?

Can anyone recommend a BD burner that actually burns. And won't die.

Any laser will give out with enough use... they don't last forever. It's only been around 1.5yrs, so either you burned the entire netflix repository or got a bum laser that died faster than it should have -- too bad the warranty is only for a year. You could try re-flashing, but other than that, I don't think there's much else you can do except replace it. Ask LG how much it would cost to repair, since those drives are still pricey.

Alright, do you think that is what happened?

I would rip quit the many of my Blu-Ray movies.
And burn them on DVD for my mom or my nieces. (During the time before any of them had a BD player)
So it had a lot of use for ripping.

So I can see why the DVD part would be burned out.
But i've only BURNED a couple of Blu-Ray disks. And these are burns from my Sony AVCHD Camera.
Not Blu-Ray movie burns. And I repeate, only two or three. One BD burn was a HD-DVD to Blu-Ray conversion. Which turned out great. (After a couple of trial and error burns.)

But with all the Blu-Ray rips, why does it READ all the media still? :(

Would anyone be able to give me a price estimate on what LG would charge for fixing it?

I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd add my story.

I bought this drive in December 2008. It have very light use, but around June of last year, it quit reading CDs and DVDs. In november the rest of it died, so I got off my butt and got an RMA from Lite on.

Maybe these drives just aren't very reliable.

I didn't take any chances. I ripped all my HD-DVDs to my HD. More convenient to watch them that way anyway.

Back