Desktop Mobo to re-host Ryzen 3500U + Ram

Wolfsbane2k

Limp Gawd
Hi.
I've just had an old Lenovo V15 Laptop with Ryzen 3500U die on me with what appears to be a completely dead mobo (i've been suffering issues for a few months, like death of onboard keyboard and fans going all the time). A replacement Mobo for the laptop is circa £200, which is more than a full replacement laptop is second hand.
I had 16GB of DDR4 ram in the laptop and want to transfer that across too.

I'm trying to work out if there is anything out there that I could re-host this into to give me a small desktop that's worthwhile - especially if I can then through a hardware RAID card in it to replace my aging server.

Ta!

Ryzen U chips are soldered, so unless you've got a pretty snazy reflow station, the cpu goes down with the motherboard. You can probably find something to put your DDR4 into, but assuming that's so-dimms, you're looking at either a SFF barebones box (NUC-like) which will not likely have room for a full sized card, or maybe a niche mini-itx motherboard if you're lucky.

Probably better to sell your laptop ram and get a regular desktop, if you want a desktop.

Last edited:
Hi.
I've just had an old Lenovo V15 Laptop with Ryzen 3500U die on me with what appears to be a completely dead mobo (i've been suffering issues for a few months, like death of onboard keyboard and fans going all the time). A replacement Mobo for the laptop is circa £200, which is more than a full replacement laptop is second hand.
I had 16GB of DDR4 ram in the laptop and want to transfer that across too.

I'm trying to work out if there is anything out there that I could re-host this into to give me a small desktop that's worthwhile - especially if I can then through a hardware RAID card in it to replace my aging server.

Ta!
Much easier said than done, I'm afraid. Especially since there are absolutely no desktop motherboards at all that are compatible with the pinout of that particular CPU. And what's more, as the responder above my post had posted, all of those Ryzen mobile CPUs are permanently soldered onto their stock laptop motherboards, and cannot be transplanted at all to another system.

Worst of all is that the 3000-series APUs like yours is not of the Zen 2 architecture at all, but is of the older Zen+ architecture like a 2000-series Ryzen CPU.

As a result, you'd be better off selling or donating that laptop in its entirety, and use the proceeds to purchase all-new desktop parts.

Thanks both.

I realised after a little bit of digging how silly my question was; i'd completely missed that the CPU was soldered in; i was concentrating on the series number and thinking of the 3600G i had on a seperate desktop, and very niavely assumed it was Am4 not FP5 for some bonkers reason... probably cos i'm crying into my bank account at the moment!

Blast ....

Back