Dell and Windows 11 support

This is weird. I've never run into this before while repairing/upgrading laptops. I have a Dell Latitude 5590 which has a i7-7600U @2.6GHz. I know it's a 7th generation CPU, but II go to Dell's site and for this service tag, it shows Windows 11 drivers. So I put in a Windows 11 boot USB only to be told that the CPU is not supported. WTF? So I used my "bypass" USB Win11 to install, but this still does not seem right, especially if I'm going to be selling these later. What would you do?

only a handfull of i7-78/7900 cpus are supported. if you sell it, put it back to 10. the dell drivers may be labeled as 11 from before the limit was implemented or if they are used for other systems that are supported.

So it sounds like MS made a change in the processor requirement before 22H2? I'm going to be leaving Win11 installed because on Dell's site, it had drivers for Win11; however, I will let the buyer know the "minor" issue with the CPU requirement.

It's possible that the Dell Latitude 5590 came with numerous different CPU options and that some of them met the full Windows 11 requirements. It's also possible that they aren't making a distinction between Windows 10 and Windows 11 drivers on their website because there basically is no distinction.

Also, you said that you tried to boot from Windows 11 install media. One area where, for whatever reason, Windows 11 requirements have been less strict is when doing a manual upgrade. If you had, for example, done a fresh install of Windows 10 instead, and then used a Windows 11 ISO to upgrade to Windows 11. I know that at one point, if you did it that way, it would be less picky about your exact CPU and you could even get away with having TPM 1.4 instead of TPM 2.0.

Back