Buying Core i3 6100 vs Core i3 7100 ? Which should i buy ? Same price.

Plainman

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys,

Buying a Core i3 6100 vs Core i3 7100 ? Which one would be a better buy if the price was the same. Hardly $3 difference. I was thinking of going for the 7100 as any layman would but i read faintly remember reading somewhere that the 7100 doesnt play well with Windows 7 64bit.

My main tasks are medium video editing, some basic 3ds max and maybe if it can i would like to play some 3d games (im a newbie gamer).

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

i3 7100 obviously.

It's clocked 200mhz higher and it got IGP decode for 4K.

And why dont you upgrade to Windows 10 for free. The issue is that Microsoft doesn´t support newer hardware on obsolete OS platforms without support.

Let's just say, It's not worth the hassle of getting it to run on anything newer than a Haswell.

Hi Guys,

Buying a Core i3 6100 vs Core i3 7100 ? Which one would be a better buy if the price was the same. Hardly $3 difference. I was thinking of going for the 7100 as any layman would but i read faintly remember reading somewhere that the 7100 doesnt play well with Windows 7 64bit.

My main tasks are medium video editing, some basic 3ds max and maybe if it can i would like to play some 3d games (im a newbie gamer).

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

Why not wait until 5 october and get the new i3 8xxx with 4 cores iso 2 for approx the same money?

I can only use windows 7 64 bit because im running custom designed software with hardcoded dongles for it and that software works only with win7. Stage lighting software. Its locked to the dongle and the 3d visualizers etc. If i upgrade then ill have to pay that company a lot of money to get a new version with new light control interface hardware etc.

There are 2 updates you can avoid that cause new CPUs not to get updates on Windows 7.

Basically you should try to do the following:

- Install Windows 7 from a DVD, not a USB drive.
- Get the xHCI Win7 Intel drivers and install them after the Windows Setup is complete, otherwise your USB ports may not work at all.
- Turn off the updates that stop further updates for newer CPUs.

Compared to my old i3 2100 i will see quite a performance boost right ? Because some comparison websites that i tried showed 50%+ performance increase with the i3 6100 compared to the i3 2100.

Last edited:
Anybody please ? I need to take a fast decision as i have a special discounted Time Limited offer my card to buy this. Just want to know if there will be a significant performance boost going from a 2100 to a 6100. For ME that would be enough.

Thanks

The 6100 does a great job in my wife's computer, including occasional, but then serious foto editing in Lightroom.
The 7100 might be marginally faster, but if you are dependent on win7 go for it. It's still a good OS and the 6100 is still a good chip. Nothing wrong with either oft them.

Anybody please ? I need to take a fast decision as i have a special discounted Time Limited offer my card to buy this. Just want to know if there will be a significant performance boost going from a 2100 to a 6100. For ME that would be enough.

Thanks

I´m guessing there would be, the i3-6100 is only slightly slower than the (stock) i5-2500K in gaming:

I´m guessing there would be, the i3-6100 is only slightly slower than the (stock) i5-2500K in gaming:

Hello,

I asked if there would be a considerable difference/boost in power compared to the i3 2100. The comparison you have given is with an i5.

personally I would not upgrade a dedicated machine used for controlling embedded hardware; such tasks don't require much horsepower (I hope) and it's often not worth the hassle to try to get everything to work again.

Take the time limited offer to buy something else. Then next month buy Coffee Lake. Skip Dual core.

In any event, yeah it's a bit quicker.

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/289?vs=1682

Unless what bwang said applies, what is this rig used for and what is it's full system specs? You may not even need a CPU upgrade at all. Your bottleneck may be somewhere else.

Last edited:
personally I would not upgrade a dedicated machine used for controlling embedded hardware; such tasks don't require much horsepower (I hope) and it's often not worth the hassle to try to get everything to work again.

Only my lighting software is tied into the external dongle and that would work with any system hardware upto win7. Thats it. Win7 and below it will work without hassles. So upgrading to a more powerful setup is no problem and my other softwares like 3ds max etc will see some benefit i hope from i3 2100 going to i3 6100.

Take the time limited offer to buy something else. Then next month buy Coffee Lake. Skip Dual core.

In any event, yeah it's a bit quicker.

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/289?vs=1682

Unless what bwang said applies, what is this rig used for and what is it's full system specs? You may not even need a CPU upgrade at all. Your bottleneck may be somewhere else.

Im running 3ds Max, Sony Vegas Video Editing, Lightroom & Photoshop on my lets call it CREATIVE PC (i3-2100 ** ASUS-P8-H77 Motherboard ** 16GB DDR3 1866mhz CL10 Ram). Also i dont do these professionally. Just light work to support my existing business and enjoy myself with the things i love doing. Not very complex renders etc. The easiest way to see it is that the current i3 2100 is able to handle all of these tasks, albeit a little slow, thats all. I would be happy with even a moderate boost in performance, thats all im expecting.

The reason why im forced to upgrade is that, my home office system Core2Duo E8400 ** Intel DG33 FB Motherboard ** 3GB DDR2 800mhz RAM is long in need of retirement, since the hardware is obsolete and is unable to perform well because even though it has an SSD it cant exploit its speed (SATA 3gbps ports only). Also no USB 3 at all. Cant upgrade to better RAM. So im forced to do a complete revamp by changing the 3 main elements (CPU**MB**RAM) cant upgrade one or the other selectively due to compatibility issues and generations apart by current hardware standards.

So when i looked in the market for (CPU**MB**RAM) all of them are new sockets and better performance compared to my CREATIVE PC itself which is i3-2100 ** ASUS-P8-H77 Motherboard ** 16GB DDR3 1866mhz CL10 Ram. So id have to spend x sum of money and upgrade an office PC which will turn out to be better spec'd than my Creative system. Thats not needed for my home office PC i thought.

For a slightly better budget, i thought instead of plunking money on the OFFICE system, i could upgrade the CREATIVE PC to and migrate its existing i3-2100 ** ASUS-P8-H77 Motherboard ** 16GB DDR3 1866mhz CL10 Ram into my home system. That would be a win-win and both systems would see some benefit. This is the entire underlying cause for the upgrade. SO the new parts go into the creative pc and the creative pc's old existing parts come into the home pc.

Final result would be...

Home/Office PC - Core2Duo E8400 ** Intel DG33 FB Motherboard ** 3GB DDR2 800mhz RAM will become i3-2100 ** ASUS-P8-H77 Motherboard ** 16GB DDR3 1866mhz CL10 Ram.

Im guessing this will have at least a 50% boost in performance experience compared to the older hardware. Userbenchmark.com results - http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core2-Duo-E8400-vs-Intel-Core-i3-2100/2720vsm41 shows a 76% performance boost theoretically of-course.

Creative PC - i3-2100 ** ASUS-P8-H77 Motherboard ** 16GB DDR3 1866mhz CL10 Ram will become i3-6100 ** GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H ** 16GB DDR4 2133mhz CL14 Ram.

Im guessing this should have at least a 20% ? boost in performance experience compared to the i3-2100 hardware that was transferred out ? Userbenchmark.com results - http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-6100-vs-Intel-Core-i3-2100/3511vsm41 shows a 49% performance boost theoretically of-course.

Last edited:
I see it this way:

i3-6100: win7 support, ecc support
i3-7100: Win10 support, no ecc support, faster clocks...

I'd go 6100 personally, or better, wait for 8 series & 4 real cores.

I see it this way:

i3-6100: win7 support, ecc support
i3-7100: Win10 support, no ecc support, faster clocks...

I'd go 6100 personally, or better, wait for 8 series & 4 real cores.

Yes but 3 reasons why waiting wont work...

1. My Home PC is suffering. Very slow on Firefox and takes looong to restore from hibernate. 5 Firefox pages/tabs at a time can cause it to freeze and stall etc. My data is full on my 2TB drives and i cant go 4TB without a 64bit OS. A 64Bit OS on this system is like trying to drive cross country on a Vespa. So i need to upgrade.

2. Im getting about 10% off on the entire parts due to a bank card deal which expires tomorrow.

3. Waiting might make the very same 6100 processor more expensive or not available at all and the new processors which your asking me to wait for may not be in this price bracket. If we keep waiting in computers, we will have to keep on waiting because theres always something better coming up round the corner. Technology is changing and developing so fast. They will keep inventing new stuff to ensure people like us can keep on spending :).

Yes but 3 reasons why waiting wont work...

1. My Home PC is suffering. Very slow on Firefox and takes looong to restore from hibernate. 5 Firefox pages/tabs at a time can cause it to freeze and stall etc. My data is full on my 2TB drives and i cant go 4TB without a 64bit OS. A 64Bit OS on this system is like trying to drive cross country on a Vespa. So i need to upgrade.

2. Im getting about 10% off on the entire parts due to a bank card deal which expires tomorrow.

3. Waiting might make the very same 6100 processor more expensive or not available at all and the new processors which your asking me to wait for may not be in this price bracket. If we keep waiting in computers, we will have to keep on waiting because theres always something better coming up round the corner. Technology is changing and developing so fast. They will keep inventing new stuff to ensure people like us can keep on spending :).

If you have a MC near you, I saw an i5-6600k with 1070 for like $650....

In all honesty with the tasks you do you will benefit from more cores. I would suffer it out a couple more weeks and ditch the 10% or use the 10% on something else like SSD & HDD. Really we're talking about a couple weeks for a computer you will have for years. Dual cores are perfectly fine for office machines, etc. But creative content rigs benefit from more cores. As it is we are entering the realm where 6 cores will be mainstream now. I think 10% in this case is definitely worth double the cores.

There's a rule with shopping I forgot the exact words but it's pretty true, just because you can get a good deal on something doesn't mean you should buy it, if it's not what you really need.

Last edited:
In all honesty with the tasks you do you will benefit from more cores. I would suffer it out a couple more weeks and ditch the 10% or use the 10% on something else like SSD & HDD. Really we're talking about a couple weeks for a computer you will have for years. Dual cores are perfectly fine for office machines, etc. But creative content rigs benefit from more cores. As it is we are entering the realm where 6 cores will be mainstream now. I think 10% in this case is definitely worth double the cores.

There's a rule with shopping I forgot the exact words but it's pretty true, just because you can get a good deal on something doesn't mean you should buy it, if it's not what you really need.

Hi Rive,

I do understand what you say. Im not from the USA and things in my country are priced different, usually much more expensive that what it is at your side of the globe. Secondly, the new processor which you are talking about might never release here at the same time, whihc means ill be waiting again for months. Also when it comes out it will be priced much more than the processor which im about to buy now. The entire set of i3-6100 ** GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H ** 16GB DDR4 2133mhz CL14 Ram is costing me within about USD 500. Im sure the processor which your referring to will cost about that much by itself ?

You are very right about the shopping words of wisdom, i see my wife doing it, where she wil buy something just because it was on sale. But in my case i was following this processor for the past 4 months and been waiting for a discount offer to pop up so i can grab it. So this was not an impulsive purchase.

Also i feel the i3-2100 itself is doing all the apps i mentioned. I just wanted it a little faster, thats all. As i said im doing this for the love of it not commercially, so theres zero return.

Last edited:
What about the i5 6400 ? How would that fare ? Because i think its compatible with the GIGABYTE board im getting.

Sorry to go off topic but a very quick and urgent question i had was that for my motherboard....GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H - Specs Here

Which of these two rams would be better please....

HyperX FURY Black 8 GB CL15 DIMM DDR4 2400 MT/s Internal Memory (HX424C15FB2/8) Currently Cheaper !!
------ or --------
HyperX FURY Red 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 CL14 DIMM 1Rx8 (HX421C14FR2/8)

The i5 option is out of stock. So ive ordered the i3-6100 and the motherboard before they also sell out leaving me with no options. The processor spec sheet says memory 2133mhz.

Last edited:
If you're not using a K processor can you even go above 2133mhz ram with the i3?

Your telling or asking me ?

I think I'm telling you, but I'm not 100% sure ;). But it's not the CPU, it's the board. B250 can do 2400mhz. I suppose I'd get the 2400mhz memory if the prices are the same. Although Cas 14 at 2133mhz and Cas 15 at 2400mhz are probably identical performance wise.

Last edited:
Yeah i knew the board supports it. The main problem is the i3-6100 says ram 2133mhz in its memory specs. So will using the 2400mhz ram hurt the PROCESSOR (not motherboard) in any way ?

Yeah i knew the board supports it. The main problem is the i3-6100 says ram 2133mhz in its memory specs. So will using the 2400mhz ram hurt the PROCESSOR (not motherboard) in any way ?

No, it won't hurt it any. If anything, the 2400mhz RAM will run at 2133 mhz.

There is some talk online that running a higher clock ram when the processor can handle only lower will damage the CPU memory controller ?

There is some talk online that running a higher clock ram when the processor can handle only lower will damage the CPU memory controller ?

No that is crazy talk. If you keep looking for issues long enough to will find them.

OK so can i safely buy the 2400mhz ram and use it on this system. The motherboard supports the 2400mhz natively. Only the processor is rated at 2133mhz for memory. So im not looking for performance boost or getting faster than 2133mhz performance, just going to install it as is and use it as is. Its just that the higher model 2400mhz ram is much cheaper right now so for reduced cost im thinking of buying the 2400mhz ram and i dont care much what mhz it runs at, just that it shouldn't damage my processor and rig thats all.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Thanks to all of you for your support. I finished buying everything last night. i3-6100 ** GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H ** 16GB,DDR4,2400mhz,CL15 Ram,Single Rank Type

I was unable to get the Core-i5 as the deal was sold out before i could check. Im partly to blame as i shouldve asked you guys all this a week ago and been ready. But im not too well versed with the number of types of processors and all that. My head just splits seeing all those code numbers and model numbers :). However im now relieved that i at least finished the ordeal.

Do i need to put thermal paste on the heatsink like they used to do those days or nowadays thats not needed ?

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all of you for your support. I finished buying everything last night. i3-6100 ** GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H ** 16GB,DDR4,2400mhz,CL15 Ram,Single Rank Type

I was unable to get the Core-i5 as the deal was sold out before i could check. Im partly to blame as i shouldve asked you guys all this a week ago and been ready. But im not too well versed with the number of types of processors and all that. My head just splits seeing all those code numbers and model numbers :). However im now relieved that i at least finished the ordeal.

Do i need to put thermal paste on the heatsink like they used to do those days or nowadays thats not needed ?

Use the paste that comes on the heatsink from the factory. No need to get fancy.

Back