Budget Mid-Sized ATX Case: Silent + Filters a must!

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I want to replace my uncles Antec 300 with a more modern case. This is for his office so it needs to look professional for clients, so no windows or bright colored fans. I want something that is silent, has plenty of filters (his computer gets CRAZY dusty now in the 300) and medium sized.

I went to Micro Center yesterday and picked up a Fractal Design Define S. It was perfect, until mid way through the build I realized that it does not hold 5.25" optical drives! This is a must since some accounting software companies still use disc's. I don't want to use an external one either as there is already limited space.

I then was going to buy the Fractal Design R5 but then noticed a post on here on how the fan controller bricked someones hard drives. I can't risk it even from that one case now.

What do you guys suggest? I would like to spend under $100 if possible. I do notice the Define R4 is $100 shipped on Newegg right now, maybe go with that? I would prefer to pick something up from Micro Center if possible so I can do it this weekend.

Appreciate any advice!

The only other noise dampened case I remember seeing at my local Microcenter, aside from the Fractal Design Define series, is the Corsair Carbide 330R. I haven't really read the reviews on how it compares in terms of noise dampening performance with the R4/R5, but I'd say it fits the bill of (potentially) being available at your Microcenter, having a 5.25" bay, and looking professional (I'd say it's no less than the Define R4/R5).

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Skimming through MC's other offerings, it looks like they also have the Antec P100. I don't think I've seen it on display or how it compares, but my local MC only has 1 in stock, so perhaps they're not stocked as much at other locations either.

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Thank you SO much for taking the time to help me out. I also had narrowed it down to the P100 but reviews were mediocre.

I think I am just going to go with a Fractal Design R4 from Newegg for $99.99. The R5 Windowed is $90, but don't think a Windowed case would look that professional in a accounting firm.

Back