BOINC Threadripper Performance

pututu

[H]ard DC'er of the Year 2021
Phoenicis, thanks for un-hiding your threadripper stats in mindmodeling project. Seen a lot of synthetic benchmarking numbers but would like to share how TR performs in BOINC projects in our private forum first.

I'm comparing stats from your rig here and mine is here from Windows only tasks for MindModeling.

pututu Xeon 2683 v3, Win 7, 14C/28T @100%, 3GHz all cores, DDR4 at 2133MHz.

upload_2017-9-4_9-28-54.png

phoenics, Ryzen Threadripper 1950X, Win 10, 16C/32T, 3.7GHz(?)

upload_2017-9-4_9-23-41.png

I took the valid task results from most recent 120 tasks. This should be statistically significant, I hope. Below is what I found. Note that the numbers in the table below represents credits per hour for a single task. I'm comparing core to core performance.

upload_2017-9-4_9-27-16.png

TR floating point speed and integer speed (again synthetic benchmark numbers) blow away my 2683v3 but in MindModeling project, the gain is much less, around +13%. I'm not sure if this is due to xeon more efficient instruction sets, different BOINC version used (7.6.33 vs 7.7.2), Windows version, etc.

Avg power draw from the outlet for my xeon is currently 191W.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-4_9-24-26.png
    upload_2017-9-4_9-24-26.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 3
Interesting analysis pututu. I could be wrong but I think Mindmodeling is a CreditNew project. I seem to recall getting an average about 10-15% higher per task when I first started but regardless I don't think TR chips perform particularly well on MM.

We're also both currently crunching some Numberfields where the difference seems to be more substantial with respect to credits per minute crunched.

I suspect there'll be more swings and roundabouts to come but either way your 2683 seems pretty darn power efficient.

I didn't run a lot of Numberfields, but a quick glance appears that TR outperformed 2683 much more than in Mindmodeling. BTW, what is your all core frequency? 3.7GHz?

Hmm, there aren't many LHF projects left.

Thinking about WCG but then there are tricks that I found to increase credit points on FAH, so not a fair comparison. May start MIP much later after we finished the LHF projects and looking at way to squeeze WCG output with hardware that I've got.

Yes, 3.7Ghz, which reminds me that I need to experiment with lowering the VCore as the current 1.15v was auto set by the BIOS.

Regarding WCG, I'd appreciate any tips as I'm planning on moving there once we've secured our position on the LHF projects.

Back