BOE starts mass production of Micro OLED panels

elvn

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.gizchina.com/2019/11/11/boe-starts-mass-production-of-micro-oled-panels/
According to recent reports, BOE has started mass production of Micro OLED panels in Kunming, Yunnan Province in October this year. Now, the Chinese display maker needs a partner in Micro OLED applications. In May, BOE demonstrated its innovative technology and solutions such as the 0.39-inch Micro-OLED AR with the highest 5644 PPI. There are also reports that the current Micro OLED panel is mainly used in telescopes. However, BOE is now using it for AR/VR glasses, first-person view angle (FPV) goggles and projectors for drones.

BOE.jpg

Since BOE got the patronage of Huawei with the Mate 20 series, its fortunes seem to be increasing. The likes of Apple and LG have both showed interest in its display and its revenue fr H1 2019 hit $8 billion. According to BOE’s H1 2019 financial report, its 6th generation flexible AMOLED production line in Chengdu increased by more than 300% year-on-year. This is a new high for the production line.

According to IHS Markit data, BOE’s overall display shipment is top globally, with shipments up 23% year-on-year. As of now, virtually all devices with a display requires an OLED panel. Flexible OLED panels for smartphones account for the second-largest market share in the world. If Apple joins BOE’s customer list, its revenue will probably increase next year.

Yes please. We need all the resolution we can get for VR stuff. Now if only there were GPUs powerful enough to drive such a screen at acceptable frame rates...

I just don't see it happening in 2020 but I've been wrong before

a .39 screen at that dpi is about 4k resolution. Perfectly doable with current hardware. Now x2 for two eyes - not sure what the perf penalty is for vr rendering vs rendering to two monitors of the same resolution, but I imagine it's somewhat similar. Some top end cards can probably manage decent framerates at that resolution.

edit: or you could rely on something like stadia to take the burden of rendering two 4k frames at 90hz ... though it seems unlikely they offer such a service. Bandwidth would be significant.

edit: and by perfectly doable, i mean it can probably be done with dual 2080ti's if you're ok with 60Hz

Last edited:
a .39 screen at that dpi is about 4k resolution. Perfectly doable with current hardware. Now x2 for two eyes - not sure what the perf penalty is for vr rendering vs rendering to two monitors of the same resolution, but I imagine it's somewhat similar. Some top end cards can probably manage decent framerates at that resolution.

VR lets you scale up or down. There’s no reason you can’t run 1440p and still have the benefit of higher resolution screens.

The vast majority of games I use in VR I run 4k per eye. Most are made to run high fps since you want at least 90 Hz. Even then I am usually at 7ms (140fps).

Now if only there were affordable GPUs powerful enough to drive such a screen at acceptable frame rates...
Fixed it for you, if you need 2080 type of GPUs to run VR it will continue to be a fad and/or fancy toy for a select few (hence very little support)

Fixed it for you, if you need 2080 type of GPUs to run VR it will continue to be a fad and/or fancy toy for a select few (hence very little support)

Don't agree. What we have see so far is this display technology start with a crawl and now take it first few wobbly steps. The technical requirement are very steep because what must be accomplished is nothing less than a human-machine interface that satisfies the latency and resolution our eyes demand. The tech is there but it has to start meeting the price point for mass adoption. I would say that is a sub $300 for basic but convincing VR experience. Step by step it is happening.

Back