"Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?"

peppergomez

2[H]4U
I am copying files from an encrypted external drive onto another encrypted external drive as back up. I am getting this notice on a lot of my files. It wouldn't be a problem but that I noticed in some cases, the files don't open or they behave oddly like a video being a blank white screen when the copy is played on the other drive. Windows seems to copy the files fine but i'm not sure why the properties would be missing.

Here is more of the message description for the notification:

" The file has properties that can't be copied to the new location."

I have no idea What I need to do to try to address this since.It doesn't seem to be an issue due to not having admin rights. Does anyone have any ideas thanks.

Last edited:
What are the drives formated as, ntfs, fat?
Are the files video, audio? Might be some copy protection that it refuses to preserve across drives.

Hey thanks guys

The source drive is an encrypted NTFS the destination drive its xFAT

The encryption is veracrypt

Hey thanks guys

The source drive is an encrypted NTFS the destination drive its xFAT

The encryption is veracrypt
It is letting you know that one file system is not capable of accepting or integrating all the flags or properties of the original file. This will often happen when you are copying data between disparate filesystems.

It is letting you know that one file system is not capable of accepting or integrating all the flags or properties of the original file. This will often happen when you are copying data between disparate filesystems.
Thanks a lot.That's helpful to know.I researched several topics on this and did not get that information. So does that mean that it's actually preventing windows from doing a proper copy of the files? Is such that they are corrupt or unreadable in the destination drive?

Yeah good call with verifying admin rights, and yeah you could see that copying from NTFS to exFat.
But, yeah, the files should work correctly.
Is this a container with a hidden sub-container (available through a separate password)?

I performed a quick experiment. Mind you, this is Mint21, but also Veracrypt.
I created an encrypted container and formatted it as NTFS.
I filled it with some short video files.
I took md5 sums of each file while in its container, and a md5sum of the container itself after unmounting it.
I opened up the container with a hex editor and flipped a random byte smack in the middle. Saved.
The md5 of the container changed (duh)
One of the files in the container now has a different md5 sum, but happens to play correctly.
At no point did Veracrypt complain.

So, to sum up, it's possible to silently corrupt the container (blame the Sun) and have Veracrypt not complain despite the fact the content is now corrupt.

I fear this is what might be happening in your case.

Edit: I don't know if the principle is the same with a Veracrypt-encrypted drive

Last edited:
Back