Advice about switching...

starhawk

[H]F Junkie
So I'm building something that will run on 9v. I have a very small fan (30mm, rated 5v, tested at 9v and it works fine) and a FrozenCPU red "lazer" LED module (3 LEDs and a resistor, rated 12v, tested at 9v and it's bearable rather than blinding) as the powered components. Of course I'll be using a 9v battery as the source.

Rather than pick up another switch, I have one I got from Radio Shack a while ago. Turns out it's identical (down to most of the model #) to this switch at Mouser Electronics, here. The switch is rated 16a at 125vac, 10a at 250vac. It does not have a DC rating.

While I have a hunch that the switch will work fine here, I'd like to confirm that, so...

Can anyone tell me whether or not it's advisable to use this switch, or is it really a better idea to go back over to Radio Shack and get a DC rated switch?

Why not get a 12V SLA battery instead? Rechargeable, better-suited for the 12V stuff you're more likely to use, and you can get them in any size you want.

This particular contraption is too small for SLAs. My other option is 3xAAA -- IIRC the 4xAA holder I have won't fit. (I'd need to pick up a different one anyhow, since the holder I have now has a switch on it that I don't want.) I really don't see AAAs having the capacity to power that fan and the LEDs...

Ah, I see. Then I'd suggest getting Li-Ion cells (which come in a variety of sizes, including AA. More expensive up front, yes, but a heck of a lot more capacity, closer to the standard 12V, and rechargeable. I switched to Li-Ion-cell-powered flashlights about a year and a half ago, and I'm never going back.

Sorry, too expensive. Much too expensive. 9Vs and AA/AAAs will have to do. (We use rechargeables for the AAs and AAAs, at least -- but they're NiMH.)

Back