Would you consider this good packaging?

I bought a motherboard from someone who posts on GenMay and HF... He sent it to me in a ripped static bag with the board hanging out wrapped in a couple inches of newspaper, and placed in a box. When i got it, the board was DOA. I tested it with the working parts in my P4 system right now. I also used a 2.4 i have in another setup to test. I pmed him and said, "hey man, the board was DOA... bad packaging man... I am asking for a refund... and if you would... $3 to ship it back to you" then he said....

"Funny how you automatically know it was the packaging. I was sent a Abit IC7 in the exact same bag and box and its running my system right now. I'll file a claim with FedEx, they are very good and quick with claims."

so i pm'ed him a few more times, and he won't respond... even though his last activity was at 2:49am eastern time today...

I payed with paypal btw...

I don't want to give his name, because he could turn out to do good on the deal. Just as of now, it doesn't look so good. I could RMA the board if anything, but that costs me time and shipping money... I'd rather wipe this deal clean.

if it was wrapped in newspaper he is liable and should pay your money back..id u take pics of the mobo when it arrived..post them if u did..also post his HF username..

email paypal and see what they say..maybe u can get ur money back...or else send him the board COD and tell him its coming to him...nothing else u can do..did he guarantee non DOA?

Pictures would be nice, but from your description, the packaging sounds like crap. Does New Egg ship motherboards like that? Hell no, they don't, and neither should good traders. I know I'd want to slap a mofo upside the head if I received a mobo packed like that, that's all I'm sayin'.

Oh, yeah, try to get your money back thru PayPal. And leave negative Heat, too.

I'd wait a bit longer and see what develops, I've recieved hardware shipped in less than good packaging that works.

BTW, the fact that newegg dosen't ship their hardware like that might have something to do with the fact it's not removed from the retail box ;)

its not all that hard to take a grocery bag, and save the packing peanuts from newegg or something... tie that up, and throw it in a closet or garage or something... then when you need to ship something, just stuff them in a box

antistatic bags are antistatic and paper is a great insulator. many people use newspaper. unless there was physical damage on the box itself, the packaging is considered fine. as nothing he used would have killed the board.

ufokillerz said:
antistatic bags are antistatic and paper is a great insulator. many people use newspaper. unless there was physical damage on the box itself, the packaging is considered fine. as nothing he used would have killed the board.

newspaper is fine for smaller items, i guess, but it sucks for larger items like a case. I just got a case that was packed with newspaper, and by the time i got it the newspaper had compacted enough that the case was rattling around the box:eek:

Couple INCHES of newspaper, that's quite a bit of protection, though it might not be flexible enough. But hey, it's in a box, and to fit a couple of inches of newspaper, it must be pretty big. Wait...did the mobo come in it retail box?

I usually ship my mobo with the retail box, I put it in original static bag, wrap big bubble wrap around it. Put it back into the retail box, fill the rest of gap with popcorn. Tape up the box to a point it's nearly impossible to open with scotch tape or duct tape and OFF it goes. :p

hmm sounds like the package I got 2 motherboards stacked on top of eachother in and antistatic bag and 2 processors. One of the boards had all the header pins crushed as well as a capacitor ripped off and one of the processors came DOA with a burn mark on the underside, The guy said he wassending a replacement board and proc but Im still waiting a week later. Good think I only paid 33% of it up front so I didnt really loose out.

I would contact paypal if he isnt responding to you. Your not required to wait for Fedex the seller is.

He refunded me... do you think he should pay the shipping back to him? I asked for it, but he didn't send it...

I think if you paid the shipping there then he should pay for it back but if he didnt charge you to ship - then you should pay. Splitting it would be best though.

I wouldnt pay to ship it back to him. he either needs to pay if he wants it back or it gets tossed. You didnt tell him to package it poorly why should you have to pay for packaging nd shipping costs to send dead equipment back.

Heh, at least you didn't get two APC 280's in a large EMPTY box (no packaging of any kind) like I did :D

Newspaper either sucks, or works fine.
My rule of thumb for packing is generally "Pack it, as if I were packing it for myself"
What kind of prideless ass does anything but??

For shipping cases though, Topcat. I've used newspaper before. Never have had a complaint about them. I was wondering how much/little was used on yours, so at some point I might not make the same mistake as your sender.
Mind you, Im about as over-thorough as it gets. Usually 6-8 sheets of newspaper per crumpled ball. Fill the inside with it, slap it to every viewable inch of the case. Double up on the corner points. Run a few wraparounds of industrial strength plastic wrap, or shipping stretch wrap around it. Rinse-wash-repeat until judgement says so.

(Also, if anyone needs to pack a case without your original box/packaging.....slabs of styrophoam + stretch wrap is a really legit method, one just needs to assure it's doubled up and nothing is rattling around inside)

I don't recommend the stretch/plastic wrap stuff for anything that would require an anti-static bag though. Heh.

Back