worth it to wait for ATX 3.1 PSU?

polonyc2

Fully [H]
I know 3.1 is backwards compatible and the main new feature is the change from the 12VHPWR connector to the new one, called 12V-2×6...does this mean all ATX 3.1 PSU's will come with the 12+4 pin connector on the PSU itself versus using the 2x 8 connector?...is that the ideal way to connect it?

I currently have a Corsair RM850x...so if I were to upgrade to a new 4080 Super card I would need to buy this PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR Type-4 from Corsair?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-...5-0-12vhpwr-type-4-psu-power-cable-cp-8920284

so if I bought a Corsair RM850x Shift (which is ATX 3.0) the PCIe 5.0 cable comes included?...so it's basically the same thing as far as the 12VHPWR connector?...so is it best to A) keep my RM850x and buy the add-on cable for $19.99...B) buy a brand new ATX 3.0 PSU or...C) wait for ATX 3.1 PSU's to become available?

As I understand it, the primary difference is on the cable plug itself rather than a change in the board connection. The new cable should be backwards compatible with existing PCI-E 5.0 PSUs using the 12VHPWR connector and there shouldn't be any issues using a 12v-2x6 that connect via 2 8-pin connectors on the PSU.

With that said, I think A is your best option if you don't feel comfortable using your existing 12VHPWR cable, especially since your PSU is relatively new. My understanding on this is that the 12VHPWR cable is really only unreliable when tight turns are involved or with frequent changing of hardware.

I have a Corsair PSU HX1500i and honestly I wouldn't hesitate using stock Corsair 12VHPWR power cable that came with it. For twenty dollars that would be the way I would go IMO.

As I understand it, the primary difference is on the cable plug itself rather than a change in the board connection. The new cable should be backwards compatible with existing PCI-E 5.0 PSUs using the 12VHPWR connector and there shouldn't be any issues using a 12v-2x6 that connect via 2 8-pin connectors on the PSU.

With that said, I think A is your best option if you don't feel comfortable using your existing 12VHPWR cable, especially since your PSU is relatively new. My understanding on this is that the 12VHPWR cable is really only unreliable when tight turns are involved or with frequent changing of hardware.

I have a Corsair PSU HX1500i and honestly I wouldn't hesitate using stock Corsair 12VHPWR power cable that came with it. For twenty dollars that would be the way I would go IMO.

so the current method of the PSU side only having the 2 x 8 pin connector doesn't have any drawbacks as far as stability or performance compared to a native 12VHPWR connection on both sides- PSU and GPU? (which is why I was thinking about waiting for the ATX 3.1 PSU's)...in a perfect world that seems like the ideal way of plugging it in, with both 12VHPWR connectors on both the video card and the PSU

I'm considering getting either the 4070 Ti Super or 4080 Super...so all I would need to do is buy that $19.99 12VHPWR 600W cable from Corsair and I'm good to go?...so don't use the supplied Nvidia adapter and just use this new Corsair cable from my GPU to PSU?...so there's no benefits to upgrading to one of the ATX 3.0 or ATX 3.1 power supplies?

Last edited:
I'm considering getting either the 4070 Ti Super or 4080 Super...so all I would need to do is buy that $19.99 12VHPWR 600W cable from Corsair and I'm good to go?...so don't use the supplied Nvidia adapter and just use this new Corsair cable from my GPU to PSU?...so there's no benefits to upgrading to one of the ATX 3.0 or ATX 3.1 power supplies?
Since your current PSU is newer I would go with spending the $20 and get the Corsair power cable. I'm using the same cable with my 4080 now with no issues.

Since your current PSU is newer I would go with spending the $20 and get the Corsair power cable. I'm using the same cable with my 4080 now with no issues.

was Corsair giving that cable to customers for free in the beginning or was it always a $19.99 charge?

was Corsair giving that cable to customers for free in the beginning or was it always a $19.99 charge?
I think they gave it away in a limited set of circumstances. There was a time when they started including it with PSUs, but there was still stock out in the wild that didn't have it and if you got one of those I think you could get it free. However if you have an older PSU, as I do, then you had to pay for it. I bought one from one of the vendors they recommend (they have a list on their site) and I've been happy with it.

I don't think they were readily available at the start. I actually purchased one when they were scarce just to have one just in case. When I got the new power supply recently it came with one, so now I have a spare.

so the current method of the PSU side only having the 2 x 8 pin connector doesn't have any drawbacks as far as stability or performance compared to a native 12VHPWR connection on both sides- PSU and GPU? (which is why I was thinking about waiting for the ATX 3.1 PSU's)...in a perfect world that seems like the ideal way of plugging it in, with both 12VHPWR connectors on both the video card and the PSU

No drawbacks, the number of connections is for all intents and purposes identical: 6 12v lines and 10 ground lines (4 sense) on the PSU side vs 6 12v and 8 ground (2 sense) lines on the 12VHPWR connector. The 12VHPWR just specifies thicker cables for the 600 watt rating rather than the 350 watt of two 8 pins.

If u have a 3.0 I would say no not worth it but if you like me had older versions then the new single high power plug is worth it imo for a super clean and clutter free cable situation and it's power is probably better with the higher rated cable.

Back