Win 10 32 bit will not install on my m.2 SSD drive

Lokite

n00b
Hi, trying to build a Win 10 32 bit computer. This computer is going to be use to play old 32 bit games and the odd 32 bit softwares that cannot be installed in my 64 bit O/S computer. My motherboard is a Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K7. I can installed the 32 bit O/S on a regular hard drive but when I want to installed the O/S on SSD drive, I get a error message generated by the Windows installation step. The error messages is as follows: Stop Code: KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED What failed: dump stornvme.sys. Visit https://www.windows.com/stopcode. The SSD in question is a Samsung 970 EVO Plus ( Gigabyte qualified this ssd) 500 Gig. The bios recognized this SSD and also Seagate Firecuda 520 SSD. and WD SN850 SSD. I have formatted the SSD in MBR. I have enabled legacy mode for Storage Boot Option Control. I have disable "other PCI DeviceRom Priority". Boot option #1 be USB for the Win10 32bit flash drive. These settings was use to install the 32 bit O/S on my regular hard drive. Is there more settings that need to be change in order for Win 10 32 bit to be installed on SSD drive? I have contacted Gigabyte, they have declined to help instead they told to contact Microsoft instead. I have searched online for solutions, can't find it.

Regards,Wayne

try uefi and id do a disk clean on the ssd before install.
boot off install usb, select repair, open command prompt from advanced options, then run:
diskpart
list disk
select disk *(os drive #, usually 0)
clean
exit
then run setup

I follow your instructions. Still getting the same error message. I also noticed on my regular hard drive Windows created six partitions. There one partition for the O/S. There was two reserve partition. Two regular partitions with some system files. I think this due to Windows creating two boot option. I also clear my cmos . After that I set the bios setting to legacy where needed. I also tried Rufus Win 10 installation drive set to MBR. Still the same result.
Regards,Wayne

Make sure UEFI CSM is enabled in BIOS.

In this post on another forum, a user reported that both SATA and NVME can't be enabled during install (on X470 and Ryzen 2700X, but close enough to X370 where the same behavior might occur.) Try disabling SATA in the BIOS and install with just the NVME drive present. After Windows is fully installed you should probably be able to re-enable your SATA controller after a succesful reboot.

Lastly, try a different install media. Download a fresh ISO of Windows 10 32-bit and use a flash drive or whatever. Try an older build of 10 if you're using the latest.

I follow your instructions. Still getting the same error message. I also noticed on my regular hard drive Windows created six partitions. There one partition for the O/S. There was two reserve partition. Two regular partitions with some system files. I think this due to Windows creating two boot option. I also clear my cmos . After that I set the bios setting to legacy where needed. I also tried Rufus Win 10 installation drive set to MBR. Still the same result.
Regards,Wayne
didnt realize you had other drives in there... yeah windows put more efi info on it. if it has data on it, id back it up and reformat that drive too now.
what doamin3 just post was going to be my next suggestion, try that.

Yup, CSM is enabled because otherwise you cannot enable legacy settings connected with MBR partition instead of GPT partition for 64 bit . Sorry if I explained incoherent, what I meant was my regular hard drive has these installation of the 32 bit O/S. This drive was not connected when I tried to install the 32 bit O/S on my SSD.

Your suggestions about Sata did not work for me. However, your suggestion to install the older version of Win 10 21H works. However, Windows will not allow me to upgrade to the latest version 22. So, I guess I'm stuck with using this version. Thanks to everyone for the help, It never occurred to me that there is a compatibility issues with my X370 chipset m/b and Windows.

Your suggestions about Sata did not work for me. However, your suggestion to install the older version of Win 10 21H works. However, Windows will not allow me to upgrade to the latest version 22. So, I guess I'm stuck with using this version. Thanks to everyone for the help, It never occurred to me that there is a compatibility issues with my X370 chipset m/b and Windows.
Did you actually disable the SATA controller in the BIOS before attempting to install? This is different than just not having drives connected. I think the takeaway from this is it appears if the SATA controller is present it could cause issues.

Or if you're trying to upgrade to the latest version, can you try using the Update Assistant?

Reply to Sata controller : was disabled in bios. Win 10 32 bit version 22H2 was downloaded from MS before I tried installation. Version 21H2 was also downloaded from MS. Tried the update 22H2 option from MS Windows 10 download page. Got a message of not able to continue. I know my m/b is compatible with Win 10 32bit version 22H2 because I was able to install the latest version on a regular hard drive. Using a SSD drive prevented me from installing the latest version. I even was able to install three versions earlier 20H2. As aside, I didn't need to change any settings in the bios to install version 21H2.

Back