Watercooling + PhaseChange

USUAggie

n00b
Hello all,

I decided I am going to have a custom Lian Li V2000 built for me that will have a phase change unit built into the bottom to cool the CPU, here are some pics of a similar build by the same person who is going to build mine:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=273855&page=2

My question is, would it help with overclocking and stability if I added a water cooling setup that bolts to the inside top of the case, something like a 2x120mm rad just to cool the NB, and graphic cards? I am going to have a 2Card crossfire setup. Or would it be better, and not make much difference, if I just cool those with traditional heatsinks and fans? Please let me know.

Also, would a 2x120mm rad be good enough to cool 2 3870s in crossfire, and the northbridge on an asus maximus?

I am thinking of this rad, simply because I like the looks, along with this pump:
Pump: http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=77_74&products_id=614

Rad: http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_72&products_id=122

Would that rad and pump be good enough to cool the before mentioned items? I will use 1/2 tubing as well.
If I do water cooling for these items, the rad will be blowing internal air up and out through the radiator mounted inside the top of the case.

So yes, sorry this is a long post, please forgive me.

So i guess let me know what you think.

Watercool or Aircool with the phasechange unit.

And if watercool, do you think that rad and pump would work.

Thank you.

I am a phase change and water cooling club member.. Personally I went with CoolRad 32T but the one you have picked out is good. Exactly what are you water cooling? My swiftech pump works OK but I have a lot of tubing going on in my setup. A second pump would probably help me in my particular application.

I am water cooling (2) 8800gts cards, my NB and my SB. It is all 1/2" ID primoflex tubing. I think you will enjoy the kind of temps that I am experiencing. -34c on a QX6700 at 3.905ghz.. My video cards have yet to pass 45c under load. I idle around 35c - 36c depending on the temperature in my room.

Just remember, if you are going to start "cranking" on those voltages, you will need to have a very good cooling solution in place for your PWM area. Also, adequate ram cooling is highly recommended as well.

SideView01.jpg

DSCN8979.jpg

DSCN8910.jpg

I will be watercooling 2 ATi 3870s, and the northbridge, possible the southbride of the asus extreme motherboard. Would the 2x120mm rad be enough, or should I look for the 3x120mm instead?

Also, would the one pump work, or should i do a dual pump setup for those amount of blocks on one loop?

Thank you

I will be watercooling 2 ATi 3870s, and the northbridge, possible the southbride of the asus extreme motherboard. Would the 2x120mm rad be enough, or should I look for the 3x120mm instead?

Also, would the one pump work, or should i do a dual pump setup for those amount of blocks on one loop?

Thank you

I don't know the specifics on the pump that you have chosen.. If it has a flow rate similiar to the Swiftech MCP655, then I would say that you should be just fine. As for watercooling (2) ATI 3870's, I am not familiar with those cards.. Do they run really hot (on the stock air cooling solution)? You are probably pushing it, sticking with a dual rad setup. A triple rad solution would probably be the best answer for your application. I believe it would yield better results obviously. If you are spending thousands of dollars on a hybrid phase change / watercooled computer, spend the extra $15 dollars and opt for the triple rad over the dual rad. You'll thank yourself later.

Nice setup BTW!

I have my 8800GTX watercooled and my cpu phase cooled.

As far as cooling capacity, I'm running a single Swiftech MCP355 with 3/8" tubing. The card is one of BFG's factory applied watercooled GTXs. Which is basically just a danger den water block.

I'm only using a single 120MM radiator JUST to cool the video card. This cooling setup was sufficient back when I had volt-modded 7800 and 7900 GTXs for what it's worth.

With OC'd SLI'd (or CF'd) video cards, it might be worth investing in a bigger radiator than I've got.

Back