Upgrading CPU/BIOS this weekend (want to AVOID Windows 11!)

horrorshow

Lakewood Original
Sup [H],

Well, I snagged a 5700x at MC for cheap so I intend to swap out my 3600x this weekend.

1. Obviously I need to update the BIOS first (no biggy, and I'm gonna take screenshots before doing so etc.)

2. MUCH more Importantly, will disabling TPM 2.0 alone be enough for Windows to determine my machine isn't "Windows 11 Compliant" ??

- If so, where would I locate this setting within an MSI BIOS and what's the setting called? (More specifically, I have an MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX)

Thanks in advance as always [H] brethren and have a great weekend!!

1. Yes you do need to update the BIOS to support the CPU. It is indeed no biggy, will be easy to do.

2. I believe most AM4 motherboards call this setting "CPU fTPM". I can't tell you where in the BIOS it will be but it shouldn't be crazy hard to find. Disabling this will 100% let you stay on Windows 10, since part of the check involves making sure the platform has a valid TPM enabled. I had disabled this a while back to prevent some of the stuttering that would happen on earlier AGESA versions. I did not do any of the tweaks to prevent Windows 11 from being suggested in automatic updates on my sig rig, and it's never been suggested or auto downloaded.

Quick edit: here you go, MSI outlines how to do it: https://www.msi.com/blog/How-to-Enable-TPM-on-MSI-Motherboards-Featuring-TPM-2-0

Well that all went fairly smooth.... (y)

I almost forgot how big of a pain in the ass these CM 212 Black heatsinks are but yeah, def switching to Noctua/Thermaltake for the next build etc.

Well that all went fairly smooth.... (y)

I almost forgot how big of a pain in the ass these CM 212 Black heatsinks are but yeah, def switching to Noctua/Thermaltake for the next build etc.
Reminds me of my Scythe Mugen 2 lol. Awesome cooler, one of the biggest PITAs for initial mount or swapping out CPU.

Glad it went smooth, 3600X to 5700X should be a nice upgrade for you :)

Are you getting fTPM stutters? Just wondering what the point of getting rid of it was.

Back