Unmanaged Switches/Entry Level Managed Switches for RT2600ac?

Cyman1903

n00b
I find myself needing at least another 2-4 ethernet ports into my router, and I'm resigned to the fact I need to buy a switch. At least there are still open power outlets on the UPS...
Right now, I think I'd be fine with an unmanaged switch, though if I had a managed switch I would certainly take the time to learn how to use it to increase network security. OTOH, My understanding is they are MUCH more expensive.
Does anyone recommend a particular brand/model of unmanaged switch? My immediate thought was Netgear, but their product line is about as confusing as their website.

A managed switch can increase security, if you configure ACLs but out of the box (layer3), they are just switches. You are better off with a router like a PfSense or Ubiquiti if you wanted real security over your ISP's router or even an Asus RT model.

Last edited:
I recently got a T1600G-28TS smart managed switch for £95 inc. vat exc. del. and have it static LAG'd to a TL-SG108E easy-smart 'unmanaged' switch. This forms the switching between RT2600ac on the T1600G-28TS and MR2200ac on the TL-SG108E. I've then LACP (dynamic LAG) 4x 1GbE on the T1600G-28TS to my DS1520+. Other wired devices are normal 1GbE connections to the nearest switch.
https://toptenreviewsite.com/top-10-network-switch-manufacturers-of-2023/

Last edited:
The relatively cheap basic TP-Link or Netgear 8 port switches should be fine if you don't need the extra ports.

Otherwise I go to ebay where you can find used commercial 24+ port switches for like $30.

TL-SG108E 6 port on amazon 30$​

link
i just added this to my network to expand wired around .

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Otherwise I go to ebay where you can find used commercial 24+ port switches for like $30.
And if noise isn't a factor, the Dell 2748 and 2848 are 48-port unmanaged and managed switches built-in one as they have a setting that allows you to change between modes. I use them only for their unmanaged modes and they're reliable as anything. And cheap too--I recently got a few 2848 48-ports for <$28 shipped. They also make other densities in the line, the 2708, 2716, 2724, 2748--the last two digits being the port density. Used enterprise stuff is the way to go imo.

And if noise isn't a factor, the Dell 2748 and 2848 are 48-port unmanaged and managed switches built-in one as they have a setting that allows you to change between modes. I use them only for their unmanaged modes and they're reliable as anything. And cheap too--I recently got a few 2848 48-ports for <$28 shipped. They also make other densities in the line, the 2708, 2716, 2724, 2748--the last two digits being the port density. Used enterprise stuff is the way to go imo.
I got one of these for $30.
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/s3300-52x (gs752tx)

Frankly its absolutely overkill, but my home network should be fine for ages. I have to buy some SFP+ to Ethernet converters if I want to use more of the 10Gb ports, but that's still gonna be cheaper than buying a consumer 10GB switch.

Last edited:
I got one of these for $30.
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/s3300-52x (gs752tx)

Frankly its absolutely overkill, but my home network should be fine for ages. I have to buy some SFP+ to Ethernet converters if I want to use more of the 10Gb ports, but that's still gonna be cheaper than buying a consumer 10GB switch.
Yep, it's crazy good what you can find in used enterprise level stuff. I remember there was some 40-port 40GB QSFP switch in a thread on sth for $99 some time ago. Ridiculous overkill for anything home, but hey, if it's cheap. :D

I'd skip the managed switch unless you're using a DIY or business grade router or plan to get one. Consumer grade routers don't support VLANs, so you can't segment your network and still have internet access except on one segment. Of course if you do that you'll probably also want business grade access points that support multiple SSIDs and can map them to different VLANs. Serious business class switches have a bunch more features, but I wouldn't even bother learning one until you have a decent router if you don't already. If you really want to get hardcore you'll need to either pay up or grab a used enterprise grade switch off eBay. They can be shockingly cheap on eBay.

Since you just need 2-4 ports I'd probably just get an 8 port NetGear unmanaged 1Gb switch for $22 unless you need more speed than 1Gb, but really any decent brand will do nicely and a lot of the $10 no-name ones probably work fine. NetGear is one of the more expensive brands for small unmanaged switches, but also one of the best. Managed isn't massively more expensive. Maybe $30-60 for an 8-port 1Gb model. Of course that's basic managed. You'll get VLANs but not much else. 2.5Gb plus will run up more of a bill, but even those are getting reasonable. Maybe $100-200 for 2.5Gb unmanaged 5-8 port models.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back