Ubisoft's The Crew is shutting down 31st March 2024 and will be unplayable after that because it is online only.

I don't expect companies to keep online games up indefinitely, offer downloads indefinitely, and I don't expect companies to allow you to play on their servers for free.

But I think companies could do better at either 1 ) Giving players the server to host themself like they used to 2) allow players to use their client for LAN like they used to and 3) Offline games should be patched to remove DRM after some point so that if they pull it from sale you can still play it once you have it downloaded.

Why not compromise?

But of course all of these in some way result in possible loss of sales and or increased cost on the publisher side, so of course it doesn't happen.

I don't expect companies to keep online games up indefinitely, offer downloads indefinitely, and I don't expect companies to allow you to play on their servers for free.

But I think companies could do better at either 1 ) Giving players the server to host themself like they used to 2) allow players to use their client for LAN like they used to and 3) Offline games should be patched to remove DRM after some point so that if they pull it from sale you can still play it once you have it downloaded.

Why not compromise?

But of course all of these in some way result in possible loss of sales and or increased cost on the publisher side, so of course it doesn't happen.

i'm just thinking about all those console guys that bought the game and now they have a worthless box/disc sitting on their shelves. might as well throw it in the trash at this point.

they're probably seeing how bad the backlash was gonna be before they start killing off some of their other games. on top of that we all originally bought into steam because we were told if something ever happened and they go under they were gonna hit the kill switch and make it all downloadable. doesn't do any good when companies can do stuff like this.

And that seals that...
https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-outlaws-jabba-the-hutt-mission-locked-behind-season-pass

It's not cosmetics but gameplay content that is locked behind the season passes. Fat ass NOPE!
Lame open world Ubisoft puke, Star Wars edition?

Developers and publishers have been doing this for 15 years at this point.
It was clear where DLC was going. Get less, pay more, listen to the publishers cry about their unsustainable business practices.

On top of that we all originally bought into steam because we were told if something ever happened and they go under they were gonna hit the kill switch and make it all downloadable. doesn't do any good when companies can do stuff like this.

That's not true. I originally bought into Steam because I just wanted to simply play Half-Life 2. Clearly we have unique reasons for doing thing sometimes.

Why not compromise?

+1 on this. If they're abandoning it, why not just put it out as freeware at that point and let the fans enjoy it? My buddy and I still bust out StarCraft from time to time like we did back at high school LAN parties for a few laughs, and if you don't already own it, you can get the base game now for free. It came out 25 years ago, everyone who wanted it already bought it, so what's the harm? In The Crew's case, just give the people who bought it a one-time DRM free download and call it a day. Not everything needs to be "always online VIA our launcher".

Nintendo does this as well. I understand why they would want to sue Yuzu because the Switch is current, but why they don't recognize that they could create a website and sell PC or Steam Deck compatible versions of classic NES or SNES games for like $5 a pop and make some money is beyond me. Emulators have proven there's a market for this. It's a bit like when Apple came out with iTunes and proved there was still a market for people to pay for music they could download despite the existence of Napster, and the record company executives still wanted to fight it because "BUY THE CD, MAN!".

Developers and publishers have been doing this for 15 years at this point.

I don't see what the outrage is. If they looked at Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Valhalla, Far Cry 4, Far Cry 5, 6, Watch Dogs 2, Legion, they'd see those all had seasons passes with paid story missions locked behind them.

The only Ubisoft games that don't are smaller games like Far Cry New Dawn and Assassin's Creed Mirage.

I don't see what the outrage is. If they looked at Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Valhalla, Far Cry 4, Far Cry 5, 6, Watch Dogs 2, Legion, they'd see those all had seasons passes with paid story missions locked behind them.

The only Ubisoft games that don't are smaller games like Far Cry New Dawn and Assassin's Creed Mirage.
It's the current internet outrage du jour.

That's not true. I originally bought into Steam because I just wanted to simply play Half-Life 2. Clearly we have unique reasons for doing thing sometimes.
yeah i think it was left4dead for me. still have my boxed copy but had to install steam to use it. still bought boxed games as long as i could until that was sadly taken away from us.

Back