The Apple Vision Pro goes on sale in the US on February 2 for $3,499

I'm trying to picture the scenario of someone pulling that headset off someone's face and running away on a plane....
I agree, and when it comes to the subject of tech, tend to subscribe to the philosophy that friends don’t let friends listen to DukenukemX. Some people aren’t qualified to and won’t be able to critically evaluate new tech. That’s fine, in my opinion. Someone’s got to be “that dude” with the flip phone and the hand cranked car….

I agree, and when it comes to the subject of tech, tend to subscribe to the philosophy that friends don’t let friends listen to DukenukemX. Some people aren’t qualified to and won’t be able to critically evaluate new tech. That’s fine, in my opinion. Someone’s got to be “that dude” with the flip phone and the hand cranked car….

I mean, if you want this, that's cool. Buy it.

I could be persuaded to do a VR game (if they - outside of like 3 titles - get good instead of just being really expensive ways to play Wii-style parlor games) but this AR stuff is better just staying Sci-Fi as far as I am concerned.

I want nothing to do with "the multiverse" or blending reality with what is fake.

Remember when Google Glass first came out in trials and people started punching the "glass-holes"? I still feel like that was an appropriate response and should apply here as well.

As far as phones go, I love having a smartphone. It allows me to do things on the go that I could previously only do in front of my PC, but I still see it as an inferior experience I only use when I need to be mobile, and if I am within a stones throw of my desktop I will use it instead every time.

I want my mobile device to be more like my PC rather than vice versa, but that battle seems to be full-on lost at this point. Instead of raising mobile devices to the level of PC's, PC's are slowly but surely being dumbed down to the level of mobile media consumption devices, and that is an absolute and total shame, and borderline criminal. Those in charge of developing consumer operating systems and tech devices won't be happy until they have us all controlled so that we can only do what they allow inside of their walled gardens, and pay monthly for the privilege. This is not the future I was promised.

The only thing I'd change about my mobile device is the same thing I'd change about the internet in general. A complete and total ban on data collection for any purpose other than directly serving the user whom it came from. No indirect "this pays for the service" bullshit. Direct benefits only. I'd make personal data the sole non-transferable property of the person it describes which cannot be transferred to or used by anyone else, even with user consent, except for a few narrow exceptions. (Clinical trials, societal important public research, etc. but only if complete privacy can be guaranteed.) Heck if this were ever to happen I may even embrace some of the AI technologies. Maybe. No guarantees. Because as it stands right now AI is just another in a long line of excuses to get to, process and abuse your private data.

Internet companies survived without collecting and abusing our private data for decades by using contextual ads. The only reason these are not sufficiently profitable today is because data driven profiling sucks away their revenue stream. If data driven profiling were to be completely banned, then those advertising dollars would come knocking at the door of traditional sources again. So the whole argument that "we need user data and the destruction of any semblance of privacy or all the services we are accustomed to disappear" is wrong. Companies still want to reach consumers and sell product to them, so if user profiling disappears as an option, they will revert to paying the other options out there.

If all of this makes me a curmudgeon, then that is fine. I'll wear that badge with pride.

I read a thread today about somebody weeping about the prices these fetch on ebay. "I could have saved $200," he moaned dramatically, "and gotten even more premium of a bundle!!!"

I'm shocked that the savings were so low, and much more shocked that anybody would be shocked that flagship tech is cheaper on the used market a couple months after purchase

I found a new and effective use case. Recently I was at a family wedding - I used an iPhone to record a bunch of spatial video for my parents to watch since they are too old to travel. I finally flew to see them, and since they’ve both recently had cataracts surgery which largely corrected their vision, Vision Pro I thought would be a good way to let them experience some of the memories. Well, it worked better than I ever would have expected. My mom was in tears. She never thought she would see something like that wedding, much less have it feel so real. She watched the same clips again and again. The set was heavy for it, and didn’t fit her since the moldings were sized for me, so she needed frequent breaks. However, no question, it was far more impactful than texting photos and videos by a country mile.

I don’t have a strong horse in this AR/VR debate and am just excited to try new stuff. I do believe that these devices may provide ways to visualize certain content in a manner far superior to a traditional flat panel device held at arm’s length if not further away.

...I used an iPhone to record a bunch of spatial video

wait I'm just learning about this whaaaat 3D with a monocular lens WOW. Seriously impressive.

I encountered a 3D photography enthusiast who showed me his ~2009 3D point-and-shoot with the lenticular screen on the back. Incredibly charming technology, and I'm not surprised it didn't really go anywhere. I feel like VR/AR/MR is getting closer to widespread adoption. And your story is very touching -- I'm so happy your fam could use this technology in such a wonderful way

I finally flew to see them, and since they’ve both recently had cataracts surgery which largely corrected their vision,

And for people with serious short sight problem (my mom is extremely myopic and it was quite the experience to see distant object in a 3d world clearly for the first time in many decades, when oculus released their dev kit back in the day)

You do realize that iPhones have more than one lense, right? :rolleyes:.
sure sure haha but they're too close for 3D parallax. One's wide, one's telephoto, one's for low-light?? I know there's an ultrasonic or LIDAR rangefinder in there somewhere? Anyway, 3D video from (effectively) one camera is just bonkers cool and smart

1714771399882.png

Kind of want to see people do that in person. Company meeting and you just interrupt to correct someone. Fishes went down this same road too.

sure sure haha but they're too close for 3D parallax. One's wide, one's telephoto, one's for low-light?? I know there's an ultrasonic or LIDAR rangefinder in there somewhere? Anyway, 3D video from (effectively) one camera is just bonkers cool and smart
Ahhh, cool. I could have sworn I read it had a depth camera too :), my bad.

Ahhh, cool. I could have sworn I read it had a depth camera too :), my bad.
I bet you DID hear that it has a depth camera, but that's probably marketing-speak for an ultrasonic or laser type rangefinder. I'm guessing they put it in for precise focus, but the depth info can turn images into two different images! I can't find the forum where I read about this, but it mentioned something about needing to generative-fill areas of the image that would be visible from an inch away from the lens to either side. Y'know because eyeballs.

I saw Titanic in 3D IMAX recently, and knowing that it was filmed in 2D and was converted to 3D is ludicrously cool. The amount of work. On the other hand, the one CG clip that's a drone-view of the deck, with a man walking through a door looks very very CG

Back