Target joins Best Buy and discontinues sales of DVD's and Blurays

that seems cheap. i think around here if you go during non-matinee and get tickets to the imax or dolby showings the tickets alone are close to $20, then the drinks and snacks are ~$5+ each
The Harkins Theatre here has "loyalty" cups they introduce every year (which are only $7.75). The refills on soda for these cups are only 1 dollar. The extra large popcorn gets a free refill, so the next to you bring it, the popcorn is free. It ends up being quite cheap to go to the movies. IMAX is always expensive, though.

that seems cheap. i think around here if you go during non-matinee and get tickets to the imax or dolby showings the tickets alone are close to $20, then the drinks and snacks are ~$5+ each
For 1 person evening it could easily be close to $20 for the ticket. Popcorn is almost $10. Drink is close to $10. Hotdog (which i don't eat) is close to $10 or $12. So one person can easily hit $40-50. If you have a wife and kids that want more crap get ready to throw a $100 at the theaters very easily. Then dinner afterwards for another bill or two. "Dinner & a movie" could be 200-300 unless you don't eat anything and get 99cent value menu items here in Cali, It's nuts. That's why i don't go to the theatre. Plus I can't stand people sneezing and coughing and shit around me talking loud and fake laughing I would say something like "quiet down" or "shhhhh" people are gross and have no manners like animals so no thanks lol. 4k mini led and surround sound and comfy home experience is the best with the fam.

False equivalency. Movies don't need regular software updates to keep playing and to fix new compatibility issues. And while a game may leave the Steam Store, it doesn't leave My Library if I own it. The same cannot be said for digitally purchased movies and music.
Excellent point. Also, people stop playing games after a few months to a few years. There are 90 year old movies that still get watched. Older movies are almost non-existent on streaming.

What movies are worth collecting anyway? Seriously give me your top 10. I can't think of a movie I NEED TO HAVE!!!! Aren't all movies a couple bucks away on most streaming services or networks? How many times are you going to watch the same movie anyway? Lol

You have to be a certain age to appreciate the magic of owning a copy of a movie....and that age is old enough to remember a day before VHS Rental Stores existed......back when if you didn't see a movie in the movie theater, well, there's a damned good chance you might never, ever see that movie. Ever. VHS changed the world, DVD perfected it.
If you are, say, in your teens or twenties or even 30's......this whole thing probably makes no sense to you, which is fine. But for a lot of us....having that copy of a movie we re-watch every few years is still sort of a dream come true. For many of us in the 90's and 2000's, being able to build our "Home Theaters" with digital front projectors or enormous rear-projection TV's, surround sound digital audio and so forth....that was, well, you had to be there I guess.

You have to be a certain age to appreciate the magic of owning a copy of a movie....and that age is old enough to remember a day before VHS Rental Stores existed......back when if you didn't see a movie in the movie theater, well, there's a damned good chance you might never, ever see that movie. Ever. VHS changed the world, DVD perfected it.
If you are, say, in your teens or twenties or even 30's......this whole thing probably makes no sense to you, which is fine. But for a lot of us....having that copy of a movie we re-watch every few years is still sort of a dream come true. For many of us in the 90's and 2000's, being able to build our "Home Theaters" with digital front projectors or enormous rear-projection TV's, surround sound digital audio and so forth....that was, well, you had to be there I guess.
C'mon, the younger generation have sound bars...[/s] ;)

What movies are worth collecting anyway? Seriously give me your top 10. I can't think of a movie I NEED TO HAVE!!!! Aren't all movies a couple bucks away on most streaming services or networks? How many times are you going to watch the same movie anyway? Lol
I don't do top 10 lists but here are a few I've watched plenty of times:

Spaceballs
V for Vendetta
3:10 to Yuma (2007)
Escape from New York
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Last Starfighter
The Terminator
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Back to the Future I, II and III
Big Trouble in Little China
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Conan the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
Dr. Strangelove
Dune (1984)
Ghostbusters
The Goonies
John Wick
Lawrence of Arabia
Logan's Run
Memphis Belle
Pacific Rim
Once Upon a Time in the West
Silverado
First Blood
Star Wars Episodes IV, V and V!
The Mummy (1999)
The Hunt for Red October
The Princess Bride
The Shadow
Tombstone
Underworld
Stargate
Stargate SG-1

Those are just a few. I have many more if I bothered to go through some more of the movies on my media server.

I love Michael Mann Movies. Heat, Collateral, Miami Vice & Blackhat are all awesome films. The shootout in Heat is simply breathtaking, as well as auditory bliss; while the night club scene in Collateral is possibly one of Tom Cruze's best performances as a calculating sociopath - Right down to the way the character Vincent looks like a Wolf, which I'm sure is no accident.

I love Mann's cinematography. I've read Heat 2, and I hear it's in the pipeline - I have every confidence it'll be as good as the original Heat which still stands up today, pretty good for a movie released in 1995.

Another awesome film is the 2005 movie Crash, there's a scene about 3/4 of the way through that always takes my breath away.

Last edited:
If you are, say, in your teens or twenties or even 30's......this whole thing probably makes no sense to you, which is fine. But for a lot of us....having that copy of a movie we re-watch every few years is still sort of a dream come true.

I think it's less about that.

Rental stores were great. Hell, I worked at a Movie Gallery for a couple of years. Can't tell you how many HD-DVD's and BRD's I ripped.

The theater is great for a group experience, and being able to discuss it with your friends/family before it hits streaming or physical media.
There are a handful of theaters in the world where my next comment apply.

My HT system absolutely destroys pretty much every theater I've sat in, and mine isn't anything special.
I have a Sony XR65X90J panel, Denon x2800H, 2x SVS PB1000 Pro subs, SVS Prime LCR and SVS Prime Bookshelf for Atmos Front Presence/Elevation. No rear/side channels because crazy dogs.
It slams. Plenty of infrasonic bass. More than I've ever had in any theater.
My picture is brighter and more crisp.
My chair is more comfortable.

I still enjoy the theater though. The one thing I can't get at home is the large format screen. Most movies don't need it, but then there are a few that you just absolutely want to see that way.

Last edited:
C'mon, the younger generation have sound bars...[/s] ;)
But to be fair to em', those little IEM's like airpod pros do some pretty spectacular surround s
I think it's less about that.

Rental stores were great. Hell, I worked at a Movie Gallery for a couple of years. Can't tell you how many HD-DVD's and BRD's I ripped.

Me 2, I worked at a rental store inside of an electronics store, like imagine if a Best Buy had a VHS Rental Store (complete with saloon door pr0n room for authenticity....nothing like when some dude returns 11 pr0n tapes, none rewound, 2 minutes before close...its like "bro, you're a legend, but its kind to rewind!!")

The theater is great for a group experience, and being able to discuss it with your friends/family before it hits streaming or physical media.
There are a handful of theaters in the world where my next comment apply.
Not gonna lie, when it came to just finding 'something to do'......I was fine with going to the movies with friends on a weekend night or saturday afternoon.....but when it was a film we all really wanted to see, I kinda hated when my friends would start provding color commentary, taking me out of the moment. Of course sometime I WAS "that friend" so no harm, no foul......but in the end I'm a solitary movie-goer, I want to be transported somewhere and not have to have a running dialogue with others in doing it. I'd go alone if the film was really something I was into.
My HT system absolutely destroys pretty much every theater I've sat in, and mine isn't anything special.
I have a Sony XR65X90J panel, 2x SVS PB1000 Pro subs, SVS Prime LCR and SVS Prime Bookshelf for Atmos Front Presence/Elevation. No rear/side channels because crazy dogs.
It slams. Plenty of infrasonic bass. More than I've ever had in any theater.
My picture is brighter and more crisp.
My chair is more comfortable.

I still enjoy the theater though. The one thing I can't get at home is the large format screen. Most movies don't need it, but then there are a few that you just absolutely want to see that way.
Cool setup.....my stuff is aging out but it all still works, I throw a 110" from a 1080p SXRD who's panels refuse to die or discolor so.......I've never been disappointed with it. Is newer kit better? Probably. But in the end....when you're re-watching ALIEN for the 24th time, you've already seen most of what that film could deliver many times greater than any theater did back in the late 70's.

Cool setup.....my stuff is aging out but it all still works, I throw a 110" from a 1080p SXRD who's panels refuse to die or discolor so.......I've never been disappointed with it. Is newer kit better? Probably. But in the end....when you're re-watching ALIEN for the 24th time, you've already seen most of what that film could deliver many times greater than any theater did back in the late 70's.

Man, dad had a big XBR SXRD when I was in high school, can't remember what size now. When the driver boards were functioning correctly and you were sitting right in front of it, that thing had an amazing picture.

This is a legit truth for those of us that remember.

I'm still bummed that my uncle left his reel to real audio player in his basement at his old house and I never got my hands on it.

I grew up competing with everyone else in who had the best Home theater setup. I made two mistakes in the past 20 years. I gave my KG 5.5's to my uncle (over a grand each for dual 10" drivers and a tractrix horn)... My KG 3.5's to a buddy. really needed those 3.5's for rear fill, damn near every speaker I drop in the rear channel end's up clipping or distorting in the tweeter. <sigh> You live and you learn... Aside from that, my setup just blows people away. Not perfect but, good enough.

Being able to throw on a movie at any time, internet or no, is such a luxury to me. That and I know the sound is theater level immersive and the comfort of chilling at home is hard to beat. It's all bought and paid for, I buy a movie once and can watch it as much as I please. Going to the theaters, these days, costs as much as buying a 4K Movie and owing it (if you buy a soda or anything else)

Back