Switching from Optiplex 3040 to 3060. Same windows install?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
I ordered an Optiplex 3060 to get all the nice things I wanted in the same form factor as my 3040. To save time, I want to clone the SSD to a 512gb NVME that I have and then install it in the 3060. Is windows 10 going to play nice? I haven’t tried this in a while. Normally I would reinstall but I just got this set up for my wife’s work as well as just being our HTPC.

I ordered an Optiplex 3060 to get all the nice things I wanted in the same form factor as my 3040. To save time, I want to clone the SSD to a 512gb NVME that I have and then install it in the 3060. Is windows 10 going to play nice? I haven’t tried this in a while. Normally I would reinstall but I just got this set up for my wife’s work as well as just being our HTPC.
yeah it should drop in, reboot a couple times and be good to go, minus few drivers maybe. just make sure the bios is set the same, legacy vs uefi. i think theyre both already uefi, but double check.

yeah it should drop in, reboot a couple times and be good to go, minus few drivers maybe. just make sure the bios is set the same, legacy vs uefi. i think theyre both already uefi, but double check.
Thanks. So I’ll just drop it in and see how it goes. I might even retire the RX550 in favor of an RX6400 since it would be worth the upgrade

Activation probably isn't an issue on two optiplexes, but I've had an easier time transfering between machines if the origin machine is setup with a microsoft login rather than a local account.

Activation probably isn't an issue on two optiplexes, but I've had an easier time transfering between machines if the origin machine is setup with a microsoft login rather than a local account.
I was thinking of logging into the 3060 with my Microsoft account before I put my good parts in it. The 3040 is already on my Microsoft account

What are the thoughts on a Wx4100 pro? On paper it’s an RX560 and quite a bit faster than what I have. Looks like they are $60. Looking into the RX6400, they don’t always play nice with the Dell bios. Combined with the PCIE 3.0 limitation, kinda looking past it. Only the power color is in stock now it looks like. Stock is dwindling

Edit. I ordered one. I’ll post some benchmarks when I get it. I was very tempted to find an RTX Quadro but not knowing models and being super expensive. Not going there

Last edited:
Got the 3060 setup with the WX4100. Running well minus display driver issues. I DDU the Rx550 drivers but whatever I do the wx4100 drivers give error 182 when I try to install. Windows pulled Pro drivers from late 2020 for me so at least it’s working and performance is great. But Afterburner isn’t displaying temp or frequency. I can see them in gpu-z. I also discovered my 256gb team group M.2 must be bad. I couldn’t get it to detect in a pcie adapter before and I discounted the adapter. Didn’t expect this but it’s a $30 hiccup. I will probably fresh install just to eliminate driver issues

Back