Start upgrading now or wait for final LGA 1700 CPU?

DKrebo87

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I’m currently on a 9900KS, which is still a fine CPU. But I’m itching to upgrade to a newer CPU. I’m debating whether I should start looking to upgrade to what’s already out, the 13900K or 13700K or would I be better off waiting another few months or so until Intel releases RL-Refresh (supposedly by fall of this year)? I’ll probably end up going with a DDR5 motherboard either way as it doesn’t make sense to get another DDR4 platform at this point IMO. I plan on utilizing the new CPU for a good amount of time, possibly longer than I’ve had the 9900KS which is coming up on 5 years this fall.

The only AMD part I’ve really looked at is the 7800X3D (my cousin recently got parts for a whole new build and this was his CPU of choice we will be putting it together soon), I mostly use my PC for gaming (90%), entertainment, and browsing. I have had Intel in my past 3 builds and have no personal experience with AMD, I guess I’d prefer to stick with Intel.

I game at 3440x1440, 165hz on the AW3423DWF and recently upgraded to a 4070 Ti from a 2070 S. I don’t have issues with my current build, it runs most games just fine, I would just like to get some opinions/suggestions about upgrading to a new DDR5 Intel platform. I’m thinking of waiting so that I’ll have the most mature version of LGA 1700 before they move to LGA1800.

Does anyone think that it’s not worth waiting for the refresh? Just curious what people think, what’s the verdict?

I don't think it's really going to be that much different except for some higher clockspeeds. I wouldn't NOT buy something if you get a deal now.

If you are set on upgrading to DDR5 system, I would start getting everything together now except the CPU, and then wait to see what the prices/differences for the refresh CPU's are and decide at that time which one to get...

I would also wait a bit to buy the Ram, as DDR5 prices are currently dropping, however, you have to be sure to confirm what the speeds, timings and latencies are in order to compare one against the other, as it has not yet fully matured and the prices for the various sticks will vary alot depending on these factors as well as the brand name and availability....

You did not say what other parts you already have, except for the 4070, so an idea of your available budget would also help get some moar specific recommendations !

Budget isn’t too much of a concern, as I can pay it off over time, but I also don’t want to waste money on features I won’t really utilize. I have the 9900KS on the MSI MEG ACE Z390 Mobo, G.Skill Trident 3200mhz CL16, 2 2TB m.2 drives, 5 SSDs 128GB-2TB, Corsair ax1200i, and custom EK water loop for cpu only right now 280+360 rads in a Lian Li 011 dynamic Razer edition case.

I don’t mind buying parts over time and waiting either that could be a good approach, maybe I should secure a motherboard for now. What are the best boards available? I’m currently leaning towards the MSI MAG Tomahawk Z690 or ASUS ROG Strix Gaming Z690-E. Any big differences between z690 and z790?

Last edited:
lookie here for 690 vs 790 boards...

https://tech4gamers.com/z790-vs-z690/.....and here: https://techedged.com/z690-vs-z790/

the biggest differences as noted are the increased number of pcie gen 4 lanes, 1 extra m.2 slot, and the 1 additional 20gb/s USB port.... if these are important to you, then go for the 790 board...

Since you have almost everything you need already, and can sell the older cpu, ram, and mobo to help offset the costs of the new parts, I personally would wait for a RL refresh cpu, get a 790 board & the best ram available...

I've used both of the 690 boards you mention, and had very good luck with them, but some folks here may lean one way or the other, based on their experiences with them :)

Good luck with your new rig !

lookie here for 690 vs 790 boards...

https://tech4gamers.com/z790-vs-z690/.....and here: https://techedged.com/z690-vs-z790/

the biggest differences as noted are the increased number of pcie gen 4 lanes, 1 extra m.2 slot, and the 1 additional 20gb/s USB port.... if these are important to you, then go for the 790 board...

Since you have almost everything you need already, and can sell the older cpu, ram, and mobo to help offset the costs of the new parts, I personally would wait for a RL refresh cpu, get a 790 board & the best ram available...

I've used both of the 690 boards you mention, and had very good luck with them, but some folks here may lean one way or the other, based on their experiences with them :)

Good luck with your new rig !
Yeah I’m now looking at the MSI Carbon Z790 board as it supports PCiE Gen 5 and has 1 M.2 Gen 5 slot. It’s probably the best for the price that’s available right now, either that or the ASUS Strix gaming Z790E, I think I prefer the MSI board though. Having Gen 5 as an option is nice for future components.

I prob will secure the board now and wait for the refresh either late summer or fall.

Last edited:
Update: ended up buying the MSi MPG Carbon Z790 and 2x16GB G Skill N5 DDR5 6400 CL32, now just waiting for CPU to buy and a EK waterblock for CPU.

Worth waiting for refresh or just grab what’s available 13700k or 13900k? Im thinking it’s prob best to wait for the refresh to get the most value, or the 13700K.

Last edited:
Fall is a long time from now.

If there is something you are doing, which could really benefit from doubling single thread performance and tripling multithread performance (9900k Vs. 13700k): Get a 13th gen, now.

*even a 13600k, would be a large upgrade. Its slightly better than 12900k in most games, and in between 12700k and 12900k, in multithreading.

I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger on the 13700K and 4070 Ti from microcenter.
Originally was waiting on the STALKER 2 in order upgrade, but the Diablo IV sealed the deal I could wait no longer....
Nice I’m most likely waiting for the raptor lake refresh at earliest, the 9900KS is still a strong gaming CPU for 1440p UW. Enjoy that’s going to be a fantastic combination, I have the TUF 4070 Ti and it’s a great GPU, it just gets crap for it’s price but it’s the best of the 40 series IMO outside of the 4090, solid performance.

In the same boat. Looking for advice.

I have a 9700k, ddr4 ram and 3070ti.

I was thinking of upgrading to i7 13700k and ddr5 ram at this time

I simply game on this pc. Worth the upgrade?

Realistically, probably not. You're not going to have a super dramatic upgrade, but it would be an upgrade depending on what games you are playing.

I upgraded for the Diablo 4, otherwise there was no point. If you need new hardware now, then yes.

Here goes:
  • If you have a 9 series cpu, the 13600k is a good solid upgrade that is about 2x the performance (of a 9900k) and plenty for gaming whether it be now, or when the prices drop
  • DDR5 is not that much better than DDR4 because of latency, if you have 32gig of DDR4, then you may as well reuse it for now in a z690/z790 board. The difference is marginal.
  • The 13700k, is a better buy than the 13600k if and only if you have a half decent deal going, as in gaming especially you're not going to notice any real difference unless you're playing at 1080p with a 4080/7900xtx
  • The 13900k is an enthusiast only processor that you should only get if you intend to undervolt, and you have productivity workloads that can benefit from 24 cores
  • "next gen" 1700 processors will not be that much better than existing gen and still have an unknown release date, if you need the upgrade now, there's no point waiting
  • All of the above processors idle at 5-7W if you set them to have a balanced power plan/c states
  • Asrock and MSI boards are the best this generation

Here goes:
  • If you have a 9 series cpu, the 13600k is a good solid upgrade that is about 2x the performance (of a 9900k) and plenty for gaming whether it be now, or when the prices drop
  • DDR5 is not that much better than DDR4 because of latency, if you have 32gig of DDR4, then you may as well reuse it for now in a z690/z790 board. The difference is marginal.
  • The 13700k, is a better buy than the 13600k if and only if you have a half decent deal going, as in gaming especially you're not going to notice any real difference unless you're playing at 1080p with a 4080/7900xtx
  • The 13900k is an enthusiast only processor that you should only get if you intend to undervolt, and you have productivity workloads that can benefit from 24 cores
  • "next gen" 1700 processors will not be that much better than existing gen and still have an unknown release date, if you need the upgrade now, there's no point waiting
  • All of the above processors idle at 5-7W if you set them to have a balanced power plan/c states
  • Asrock and MSI boards are the best this generation
awesome post ty! Will DDR 4 work in a DDR 5 MB? This is the MB I was looking to purchase - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-Z790-TOMAHAWK-WIFI

also, would you consider $379.98 a good deal for the i7 13700k?

awesome post ty! Will DDR 4 work in a DDR 5 MB? This is the MB I was looking to purchase - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-Z790-TOMAHAWK-WIFI

also, would you consider $379.98 a good deal for the i7 13700k?
You’re welcome,

DDR4 only works in DDR4 boards
Here is a similar board to the one you linked with DDR4 support
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-Z690-TOMAHAWK-WIFI-DDR4

As for the deal/price difference on the 13700k it depends on what you see as value, but I see it as only worth about $50 more than the 13600k, so would personally compare the two and see if I could dial it in close to that number difference.

You’re welcome,

DDR4 only works in DDR4 boards
Here is a similar board to the one you linked with DDR4 support
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-Z690-TOMAHAWK-WIFI-DDR4

As for the deal/price difference on the 13700k it depends on what you see as value, but I see it as only worth about $50 more than the 13600k, so would personally compare the two and see if I could dial it in close to that number difference.
hmmm. is it really worth upgrading from gigabyte aorus z390 to a z690 for gaming? (9700k to 13600k)

hmmm. is it really worth upgrading from gigabyte aorus z390 to a z690 for gaming? (9700k to 13600k)
I followed a similar path I went from a 9900k (z390 aorus ultra) to 13600k, then only because I could, went to a 13900k.

The 13600k was a substantial jump up in minimum frame rates. But it prompted upgraditis where I wanted a faster graphics card, monitor etc, and ended up with the machine in my sig below.

No regrets, however in hindsight a 13600k would have suited my needs fine

I followed a similar path I went from a 9900k (z390 aorus ultra) to 13600k, then only because I could, went to a 13900k.

The 13600k was a substantial jump up in minimum frame rates. But it prompted upgraditis where I wanted a faster graphics card, monitor etc, and ended up with the machine in my sig below.

No regrets, however in hindsight a 13600k would have suited my needs fine
Wonder if going from 9700k to 13600k would help with games like cyberpunk

Back