Some Intel CPUs lost 9% of their performance almost overnight

Holy hell...1.6v vcore?

I find it ironic that we moved away from Netburst and back to the P6 architecture due to power consumption/thermal issues, and now here we are with processors that run as micro furnaces to the point that an AIO is a minimum necessity.

Last edited:
1.6V is wild
Really looks like the "Baseline Profile" is a big ass-covering move.
Intel can't admit if they were overoptimistic with RL boost clocks (they'd be in a world of hurt), so they blast voltage so even the worst bins can achieve the advertised boost. Then cap the current limit to avoid instability in MT.

Win/win for Intel* since they only guarantee the advertised boost clock for 1T, and they only guarantee base clock for nT.
* Slight sarcasm there

This really is 1133EB all over again, huh.
> AMD releases an extremely competitive CPU generation
> Intel, being clinically incapable of taking an L in their CPU division, releases an overcooked part to match AMD perf
> Intel's part is too overcooked and consumers end up getting less than expected (1133EB getting pulled then re-appearing much later with higher VID, 14x00K getting nerfed perf vs what would have been shown in reviews)

Hell my next rig will likely just be a gaming laptop, if I can get my existing performance plus 5-10% then it’s all I really need, I don’t game nearly as much as I used too, and 1440p isn’t the hardest to push any more. Story might change if I upgrade to a 4K gaming monitor but that’s not happening any time soon.
I hear that. Not been much of a laptop gamer myself, but was surprised by a work/gaming combo midrange laptop I bought. 16" 240hz IPS gsync screen with 500nits+, I7-13700HX/RTX 4070 gpu (Lenovo Legion Pro 5i). A bit noisy in performance profile, but I could comfortably game 60hz+ on the 2560x1600 screen on all my games by only using quiet mode. Gaming laptops have come far when it comes to delivering a comfortable gaming experience without sounding like a jet engine and can give pretty decent framerates too without breaking the bank.

Back